Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Italy - Euro 2024 Qualifier - KO @ 7:45pm - C4

Comments

• when I say we have 2 world class players - I mean, we have the two BEST players in those two positions in the world - Kane and Bellingham are another level
    Foden is starting to realise his talent as well….. him and Saka are not far behind.
    Thats easily Foden's best game for us
  • Laddick01 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Foden and Bellingham could be so fun in front of Rice.
    Apart from the fact Foden never plays there?
    Has played that role for City - not regularly though.

Certainly think it'd be worth a go against the lower end sides.
    Cos it's all going Pete Tong as it is isn't it?

What you picking a squad/team to do?  Beat Malta 10-0 or win a tournament?
    Christ I didn't say I'd start him there every game of the Euros. A simple observation that it'd be a bit of fun sometime.

Sorry if that's annoyed you.
    So might shagging your sister in law but doesn't make it it a good idea 😉

Not annoyed in the slightest.
  • Laddick01 said:
    How long has it been since England have had arguably the current 'best player in the world' ?

2001 when Michael Owen won the Ballon d'Or?

Even then was he really the best player in the world at that point?
    No he wasn't.
  • Much better second half, much better without Stones and Phillips.

Bellingham and Kane two obvious standouts.
  • Laddick01 said:
    How long has it been since England have had arguably the current 'best player in the world' ?

Didn't win World Player of the Year that year either - Figo did.  And he was definitely better than Owen, let's be honest.  Beckham came second.

Was the few years when that maybe held more weight than the Ballon d'Or.

Could say Lineker around 1986 maybe, but really you're probably looking at Keegan.

Definitely reckon Bellingham has the potential.
  • Laddick01 said:

I think the thing is... historically we have always assumed OUR best player = best in the world (or up there) 

Owen, Rooney, Beckham - (i ould go back further)

the difference this time is - Owen and Rooney were awesome - but they never did it on the international stage other than glimpses - Beckham - well he wasn't even the best player at Real madrid (or Man U either) 

Bellingham and Kane are doing things away from the English league - and they are wrecking everyone like the very very BEST ever have - like the very best have done to our league at home.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Foden and Bellingham could be so fun in front of Rice.
    Apart from the fact Foden never plays there?
    To be fair, that is probably only because he has the best CAM the premier league has ever seen in front of him. I dont think that is a reason for him to not play centrally for England
  • even Gazza wasn't the best of his time was he
  • Sponsored links:

• That win should put us into 3rd place in the Overall Rankings.

End up in the top seven, and we'll be top seeds for the draw.
    Meanwhile we’ll be in League B and have a tougher WC qualifying group because of it. Silly UEFA nonsense.
  • edited October 2023
    That win should put us into 3rd place in the Overall Rankings.

Meanwhile we’ll be in League B and have a tougher WC qualifying group because of it. Silly UEFA nonsense.
    Fingers crossed it'll be a similar Group to this one.

Difference is, we wont have the luxury of automatic qualification if we come 2nd in the Group - Its why I like the Nations League though, its the jeopardy of not taking the games seriously.

It'll be controversial but take 3rd | 4th in the Premier League away from Champions League qualification, and give it to FA Cup | League Cup winners (unless its a team that finishes in the top two), and watch how seriously teams take those competitions again.

Worst case have a Play-Off between FA | League Cup winners, and the team that wins, get the 5th Champions League spot that we're obviously going to get.
  • edited October 2023

do you think any seeded team wants us in thier group?  we aren't trapped in with them, they are trapped in with us.

Portugal walked their group in this qualifiers - do you think that helps their preparations? Theres a reason teams are turning down automatic qualification in 2028
  • That win should put us into 3rd place in the Overall Rankings.

Difference is, we wont have the luxury of automatic qualification if we come 2nd in the Group - Its why I like the Nations League though, its the jeopardy of not taking the games seriously.

It'll be controversial but take 3rd | 4th in the Premier League away from Champions League qualification, and give it to FA Cup | League Cup winners (unless its a team that finishes in the top two), and watch how seriously teams take those competitions again.

Worst case have a Play-Off between FA | League Cup winners, and the team that wins, get the 5th Champions League spot that we're obviously going to get.
    Southgate just said on Ch4 interview that this was the toughest group in qualifying
  • edited October 2023
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah, needs the big boys to take FA CUP seriously as Man U/ManC/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal have only won it 25 of the last 28 years. 
    How seriously do the other teams genuinely take it though... What's the point of taking a Cup game seriously, when it can impact the League.

Its easier to get into Europe via. the Premier League, than it is the Cups, which'll remain the same... Create a better incentive, and that MAY change
  • edited October 2023

Southgate just said on Ch4 interview that this was the toughest group in qualifying
    Ukraine have always been a "threat" but in Qualifying we seem able to  deal with the teams at their level over the years... Italy are a proper bogey team, and were the only side that "worried" me

Have to see how it all works out, as Wiki seems to suggest that it'll be 12-Groups of four or five teams, the winner will go straight to the World Cup, along with the four best 2nd place teams, the rest into Play-Offs - France, and maybe Portugal are the only teams I wouldn't want to be drawn with.
  • Am I right in thinking Italy can finish 4th in this group and still earn a play off spot? If so that's ridiculous
  • Am I right in thinking Italy can finish 4th in this group and still earn a play off spot? If so that's ridiculous
    Yeah they're guaranteed a Play-Off spot even if they finish bottom, after reaching the Nations League Finals.
    Yeah they're guaranteed a Play-Off spot even if they finish bottom, after reaching the Nations League Finals.
    The nations league needs some tweaking then - is that even legal in competitive sport?
  • Sponsored links:

• Gazza was the best player in the world for about 11 months.

Rooney was the 3rd best player in the world for 3 or 4 years.  Was it a Euros when he was magnificent then got injured.  Then he has that season he had at United then got injured against Munich.

It's a statistical anomaly but for about 75% of my life the best player in the world has been Argentinan.  So it's unlikely we would have had a "best" player in the world for long, if at all.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Gazza was the best player in the world for about 11 months.

Rooney was the 3rd best player in the world for 3 or 4 years.  Was it a Euros when he was magnificent then got injured.  Then he has that season he had at United then got injured against Munich.

It's a statistical anomaly but for about 75% of my life the best player in the world has been Argentinan.  So it's unlikely we would have had a "best" player in the world for long, if at all.
    was he though? Really? not having a go genuine question - with the likes of Maradona out there
  • edited October 2023
    Am I right in thinking Italy can finish 4th in this group and still earn a play off spot? If so that's ridiculous
    The nations league needs some tweaking then - is that even legal in competitive sport?
    Its the "incentive" to treat the Nations League seriously... The Irish deliberately losing to the Netherlands could put them in the Play-Offs for example, thats another rule that really needs looking at.

Only good thing, its not a guaranteed route... At the moment Italy will be in a Play-Off with Croatia | Poland, and if I'm right... Finland or Iceland.
  • That England team is superb. Bellingham is the icing on the cake. Has to be the best player I’ve ever seen in an England shirt.
    Kane my all time favourite. 
    To have all these talents at the same time and a manager who understands how to guide them is incredible.
    A bit of luck and we must surely win something. 
  • edited October 2023
    k'in hell - do you at least get shut down a league if you fail to get out of your group?

(don't even answer - we already know it doesn't work the other way)

when qualifying actually means "qualifying (lol)"
  • Cafc43v3r said:

was he though? Really? not having a go genuine question - with the likes of Maradona out there
    Hill I'll die on for most of 90/91 he was better than Maradona, Guilet et al were then.  The only counter argument I'll have is Lothar Matthäus.

Peak Gazza v peak Maradona, its not even an argument, for those, glorious, months Gazza was the man.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Hill I'll die on for most of 90/91 he was better than Maradona, Guilet et al were then.  The only counter argument I'll have is Lothar Matthäus.

Peak Gazza v peak Maradona, its not even an argument, for those, glorious, months Gazza was the man.
    not a hill at all mate - we have lived in an era of Ronaldo and Messi for decades - things are changing and I think we have two contenders right now
  • edited October 2023
    What's perhaps more impressive is, right now, if you're picking a world XI, which is obviously hugely subjective, I think 3 or 4 English players are legitimate considerations for that team - not saying you'd pick them all - but I don't think anyone would say you are mad to have them as potential inclusions.
  • Bellingham, oh my word, where would we be without him?
    Wrap him in cotton wool.
    That second goal was all him, until it hit the net I was still convinced Rashford would miss it somehow (he’s sooooo frustrating at the moment).

Bellingissimo! 😘😘
  • Half time amendments defo made a difference, whatever was said.

What a pleasure it was to see Harry Kane like that tonight. Not the first time I’ve seen him in and England shirt live but my god his second goal was awesome.