Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Aston Villa U21s: EFL Trophy Tues 10th Oct 2023: 7PM [+POST p12]

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Imagine this first team.

AMB

Asiimwe Elerewe Ness Bower

Campbell Kedwell Mitchell Anderson

Leaburn Kanu

Would be kind of impressively unrealistic, but very far from embarrassing, and that is not even counting Chin or Laqeretabua and others who still carry promise.
  • Options
    Whatever possessed Appleton to bring Aneke and May on for the last half hour when we were 4-1 up in a pretty meaningless game that was won?

If either had got injured it would have been a huge setback to our promotion push. 

It didn't even work as the team became so disjointed we were well outplayed in the last 30 minutes.

Sorry but it strikes me as madness. 
    I think for Aneke in particular it was to keep his match fitness ticking over and give him a chance for that first goal of the season. May I agree is an odd one. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    That Kirk goal is lovely. Brilliant ball over from Fraser and a good bit of skill from Kirk to just guide it in at the near post with his weaker foot. Not an easy skill, a lot of players slash at those and get them all wrong. You'd kind of expect Kirk to to be honest but that's one of the things that makes him so frustrating; occasionally he's the most skillful player on the pitch, but that is generally once, maybe twice in a game and he can go hours without looking like doing anything at all. You'd think getting a goal after 4 minutes against a team of children would galvanise him to show what he was about but by all accounts he went quiet after that. Weird player.
    AMB has not done himself any favours getting done direct from a corner. Pretty much the worst one to let in as as a keeper and he's done that in his period to impress just after Isted showed why he was signed in the first place. I know it was only a pizza cup game but bloody hell Ash.
    Also, whisper it, but two assists for Fraser and a goal and an assist for Watson as our midfield two. Fraser is surely going to have to come in at some point and Watson is looking like a player we've really needed for a while. Fraser isn't a 10 so you don't want to crowd that midfield area too much by putting all three of them there; might be some tough decisions for Appleton coming up.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Whatever possessed Appleton to bring Aneke and May on for the last half hour when we were 4-1 up in a pretty meaningless game that was won?

If either had got injured it would have been a huge setback to our promotion push. 

It didn't even work as the team became so disjointed we were well outplayed in the last 30 minutes.

I think for Aneke in particular it was to keep his match fitness ticking over and give him a chance for that first goal of the season. May I agree is an odd one. 
    May strikes me as the kind of player who gets the hump if you leave him out of a 5 a side after training. I imagine Appleton just felt that he had to give him a bit of a run out to keep him from winding him up for the rest of the week with his moaning
  • Options
    How does anyone see May as a moaner? He strikes me as a leader.

If he were to moan it'd be about not getting games whilst he's in form and I'd suggest would be justified.

I can't imagine too many moaning at Apples though. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

this - they should be nowhere near this competition.

Tedic should've got a full 90 in his preferred position

I was surprised but Appleton has a different approach. 
    He feels that once players like Alfie and Chuks are playing at a good standard which they both are, then keep them involved every match even in this odd competition.
    Agree it wasn't necessary in the match but it was more for the players to get game time as no match on Saturday.

Aneke is a special case but instead of wrapping Chuks up in cotton wool, Mickey Apples feels its best to keep him match fit by playing X minutes every match but NEVER play him for 100+ minutes or his body and mind can't cope. 

Unusual case and a very individual one at that.
  • Options
    I think Appleton mentioned Kirk hasn't been training regularly due to illness for the last couple of weeks so could be part of it. That finish shows what he can do , it's just frustrating we don't see it enough from him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    How does anyone see May as a moaner? He strikes me as a leader.

If he were to moan it'd be about not getting games whilst he's in form and I'd suggest would be justified.

I can't imagine too many moaning at Apples though. 
    Oh mate, he's an absolute stream of it. Not on the pitch, on the pitch he's an absolute gem but off it he loves a moan. I don't know what he's been like at Charlton but at Cheltenham he was well known for it. Not necessarily always in a bad way either, but he's a chirper. Some players are just like this though; I don't think many would identify Mo Salah as a big moaner for the most part but when he doesn't play, or even sometimes when he gets subbed, he'll let his manager know about it.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Gives them a chance to play together and hopefully work on a partnership of sorts? Maybe hoping one or both gets a goal to keep their confidence/form going? A vote of confidence (in Anekes case)?

I agree it didn't really work but it doesn't seem that preposterous to me.
    Agree. I think our injury record has scarred us a bit. I'm sure May and Aneke fancied coming on and were fully warmed up. 

• Options
    Kirk defensively not great. Might be a fitness issue as Appleton said. 
    Tedic out wide doesn't work and again defensively not great. 
  • Options
    I still really like Kirk's decision-making in the final third. Out of possession, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player less interested in winning the ball back. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I still really like Kirk's decision-making in the final third. Out of possession, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player less interested in winning the ball back. 
    I believe I mentioned this before. But he looks like he is trying to mark the space, which is exactly what I do down goals because I’m not fit enough to track back and get physical with the opponent. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Imagine this first team.

AMB

Asiimwe Elerewe Ness Bower

Campbell Kedwell Mitchell Anderson

Leaburn Kanu

Would be kind of impressively unrealistic, but very far from embarrassing, and that is not even counting Chin or Laqeretabua and others who still carry promise.

You know a bit about the kids. Do Adigun and Ladapo have a chance. Both seemed very promising a couple of years back but seem to have stalled a bit at U21 level.
  • Options
    I am not certain.
    But I look at Deji, his trajectory has been steps forward and steps back, but in my opinion he retains the promise we all saw in him at first.
    I think with Lapado, who first caught my eye (along with Bower I might say) when we saw a milk cup type event in Northern Ireland, he stood out amongst his peers. I think his trajectory isn't stalling, but isn't rapid either. Adigun we don't really have enough data in terms of wide experience to judge I reckon.
    Then we have the likes of Rylah and Casey, both on the path but they need more exposure to see if they are stalling, or merely demonstrating the inconsistency which is such a feature of young developing players.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Good to see Kedwell get on,...
    Harvey Kedwell sounds like name Harry Kewell would've had on Brian Lara cricket 2005
    Oranges1275 in pro evolution.
    Not forgetting Roberto Larcos, Ronaird or Facu!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Just seen the goals. The players seemed remarkably unimpressed with scoring goals.

Would it be due to the nature of the competition, the poor attendance or something else that has upset them?

From the very short clips I saw it looked like they were putting the effort in, just not pleased to get their rewards.

Have I imagined it?
    Sure they liked scoring, but any jubilation may have been muted due to the lack of crowd response, remember there was hardly anyone inside The Valley, and celebration is a two way thing, nothing to feed off of....result apparent low key celebrations...🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen the goals. The players seemed remarkably unimpressed with scoring goals.

Would it be due to the nature of the competition, the poor attendance or something else that has upset them?

From the very short clips I saw it looked like they were putting the effort in, just not pleased to get their rewards.

Have I imagined it?
    Sure they liked scoring, but any jubilation may have been muted due to the lack of crowd response, remember there was hardly anyone inside The Valley, and celebration is a two way thing, nothing to feed off of....result apparent low key celebrations...🤷‍♂️
    The lack of excitement around the competition (at this stage) and match, especially having to play an U21 side, is surely a more important factor. When all the matches were played behind closed doors post Covid, the players celebrated far more. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Have I imagined it?
    The lack of excitement around the competition (at this stage) and match, especially having to play an U21 side, is surely a more important factor. When all the matches were played behind closed doors post Covid, the players celebrated far more. 
    The lack of excitement around the competition is appreciable, which resulted in the lack of support, and they can only play what is put in front of them, so six of one and half a dozen of the other, maybe IF we progress things might feel more attractive to both the players and supporters...
  • Options

Have I imagined it?
    The lack of excitement around the competition is appreciable, which resulted in the lack of support, and they can only play what is put in front of them, so six of one and half a dozen of the other, maybe IF we progress things might feel more attractive to both the players and supporters...
    If we reached the QF and SF, then I'm sure the celebrations would be much more passionate. And there would be a bigger crowd too.
  • Options

Have I imagined it?
    If we reached the QF and SF, then I'm sure the celebrations would be much more passionate. And there would be a bigger crowd too.
    Agree...everyone wants the destination but not the journey I suppose...
  • Options

Have I imagined it?
    Agree...everyone wants the destination but not the journey I suppose...
    i don't - the only reason i want us to win is to give our reserve players some game time - that's what this is - a reserve game for which there used to be a reserve league - i have zero interest in winning it  or watching it - at best its like winning a handicap competition  
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    🤷‍♂️