Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Aston Villa U21s: EFL Trophy Tues 10th Oct 2023: 7PM [+POST p12]

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I want to know why Kirk is still on the pitch...although has scored an easy touch in apart from that, nothing...
    Because it's the EFL trophy 
    Still no excuse...🙄
  • Options
    Thank everyone. A good win, let’s keep the post-match thoughts here.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Probably an unpopular opinion but I wish Tel and Greg wouldn't try and do punditry or "colour" when they aren’t "lead commentator".

Isn't that the job of the co-commentator? The lead describes the action. 
    Yes and Martin Tyler never handed over to Gary Nevile.

The pundit is normally an expert.  I don't mind two blokes in the pub talking about football, if I am not paying for it.

Greg is going on some monologue now, it's painful.

I think they do a great job. Good to hear Greg again
    They do a very good job of commentating.

Say what you see.
  • Options
    You sure about that Callum Kirk was next to Leaburn in a front 2 first half 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I want to know why Kirk is still on the pitch...although has scored an easy touch in apart from that, nothing...
    Still no excuse...🙄
    Alright here's the other one: The only player left on the bench was Jones. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Still no excuse...🙄
    Alright here's the other one: The only player left on the bench was Jones. 
    Sounded good then..😉
  • Options
    Not too bad playing a 10 man team. I know Kirk scored but what else did he contribute? I can’t say I enjoy saying this but please get rid.
  • Options
    What is Kedwells typical position when playing for the Yoot?
  • Options
    Great first half, didnt fancy second half. After that performence looks like Kirky boy will be sitting out until the next pony cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Our out of possession shape was definitely more akin to a traditional 4-4-2. Likely to give Miles/Chuks another presence up top to help pressure their centre backs in possession. But both Kirk and May were dropping deep/linking up play wide when we were in possession of the ball.
  • Options

Our out of possession shape was definitely more akin to a traditional 4-4-2. Likely to give Miles/Chuks another presence up top to help pressure their centre backs in possession. But both Kirk and May were dropping deep/linking up play wide when we were in possession of the ball.
    The issue isn't if you can play 442 or not.

You can't play the 442 that is often suggested.  You can play "442" if you can find another way of over loading the central midfield areas.

The two "wingers" 442 was defunct in 1997.  Fergie and Wenger both went with what would now be called a 433.

Curbs went that way in 1999.

Even Powell's team had Yann dropping back into midfield and Jackson playing inside Wiggins while Green/Wagstaff played outside Solly.

Bowyer's team normally had 4 center mids.

The way most teams set up now you need at least two of:

1) A full back that plays more like a center mid
    2) A center back than can play in center mid
    3) A wide player that can tuck in
    4) A "second striker" that is comfortable in midfield.

If you have all that you wouldn't play 442 in the first place.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    Think a goalkeeper is going to be on our January shopping list. Not convinced by either of our senior ones.
  • Options
    What??
  • Options
    Think a goalkeeper is going to be on our January shopping list. Not convinced by either of our senior ones.
    I think when he is back Isted will be number one and end up being quite decent.

Not as good as Amos was but half our fans offered to "drive him there themselves".
  • Options
    Goalkeeper and left back should be main priorities 
  • Options
    Entertaining game that Charlton deserved to win. It's not every game where you see a near miss from the half way line or a goal direct from a corner. All of Charlton's starting XI played well, though there was a lack of energy amongst the subs, but the game was won by then. I was very impressed by Ness and again Watson in the Middle. Leaburn looked a different player to the one we saw at the weekend, absolutely oozing skill. Although I suspect Mickey Apples might not want him showing off so many tricks in a league match, it was great entertainment. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Leaburn is our best penalty taker.
    Don’t forget CBT. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to gauge anything based off last night. I'm not entirely sure if it was even Villa's main U21 side, as i'd assume they have some kids away with international youth teams.
  • Options
    Happy that we won the game and will qualify if we don't lose to Sutton 👏
  • Options
    This is Men against Boys 🤔

That was a joke you doughnuts 😀
    I know half of our team still need to get permission to be out late !

If Aston Villa were seriously interested in young 19 year old Leaburn, then the Villa U21 manager will surely pass on good comments.
    No surprise that Miles performances are a bit erratic as he is still learning the hard realities of Professional football in that second season after probably being over hyped in his first. Hopefully Leaburn won't grow upwards anymore but will still need to bulk up a tad.

With Carl and our Tracey as parents he has fantastic DNA.

👏to all the Charlton U21 last night that played.
  • Options
    Whatever possessed Appleton to bring Aneke and May on for the last half hour when we were 4-1 up in a pretty meaningless game that was won?

If either had got injured it would have been a huge setback to our promotion push. 

It didn't even work as the team became so disjointed we were well outplayed in the last 30 minutes.

Sorry but it strikes me as madness. 
    Gives them a chance to play together and hopefully work on a partnership of sorts? Maybe hoping one or both gets a goal to keep their confidence/form going? A vote of confidence (in Anekes case)?

I agree it didn't really work but it doesn't seem that preposterous to me.