Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• You'd expect the Aldershot and Chesterfield ties to be televised given their upsets... Hope Ramsgate do get televised given they've shown Cray Valley at a League side.
    Only 20 matches in 2nd round. Depends how many matches they are planning to show. Eastleigh v Reading is another guaranteed TV game.
    Yeah wont be surprised if they show that one as well.

Six games have been televised if you include S4C showing Mansfield vs Wrexham, so you'd expect them to show Wrexham vs Yeovil.

The BBC and ITV will show five others

Maidstone vs Barrow
    Eastleigh vs Reading
    Aldershot vs Walsall
    Chesterfield vs Leyton Orient
    Derby vs Bristol Rovers

Would be the games I expect them to pick.
  • Full draw:
    Maidstone United v Barrow
    Wycombe Wanderers v Morecambe
    Notts County v Shrewsbury
    Chesterfield v Leyton Orient
    Aldershot Town v Stockport County
    Alfreton Town v Walsall
    Wrexham v Yeovil Town
    Crewe or Derby v Bristol Rovers
    Peterborough or Salford v Doncaster or Accrington
    Eastleigh v Reading
    Gillingham v Charlton or Cray Valley Paper Mills
    Stevenage v Port Vale or Burton Albion
    Newport County v Barnet
    Oxford United v Slough Town or Grimsby
    Chester or York City v Wigan Athletic
    Sutton United v Barnsley or Horsham
    AFC Wimbledon v Ramsgate
  • You'd expect the Aldershot and Chesterfield ties to be televised given their upsets... Hope Ramsgate do get televised given they've shown Cray Valley at a League side.
    Only 20 matches in 2nd round. Depends how many matches they are planning to show. Eastleigh v Reading is another guaranteed TV game.
    Yeah wont be surprised if they show that one as well.

Six games have been televised if you include S4C showing Mansfield vs Wrexham, so you'd expect them to show Wrexham vs Yeovil.

The BBC and ITV will show five others

Maidstone vs Barrow
    Eastleigh vs Reading
    Aldershot vs Walsall
    Chesterfield vs Leyton Orient
    Derby vs Bristol Rovers

Would be the games I expect them to pick.
    No chance they’ll show Derby v Bristol Rovers instead of Gillingham v Cray Valley Paper Mills
  • On a serious note, as the lowest team (likely to be) left in the competition, I’d expect Ramsgate to be on TV even if they were drawn away.
  • Portsmouth played their first 11 that got them top of the league. OK a few injuries but their manager respected Chesterfield. Well done Spireites. 
    Maybe their first 11 were subconsciously saving themselves for the league.

Sometimes kids and reserves can be hungrier.  
  • Gillingham vs Charlton screams TV game. Local(ish) derby. The L1 former PL club and FA Cup winners away to a fairly decent L2 side.

Eastleigh vs Reading will surely be the 1st pick. Chester or York City v recent winners Wigan Athletic is another cert (with Ben Watson as a pundit)

Sutton vs Barnsley (if they get through) is a possible.
  • Blinding draw always good away day nice & easy to get to can't wait  B)
  • Could be a TV game. 
    Not a chance 
  • Can we just let Cray Valley have the win!!

Least we have the potential to reach the third round I suppose
    Why? Decent draw local game 
    Not very inspiring... I enjoy the Cup because of the prospect of facing different teams - Rather than one we've faced a few times the last few seasons.

As I say... Its a good opportunity to get a big game in the 3rd Round.

Thats it.
    Agreed not perfect but much rather a local away game which I can go 
  • Could be a TV game. 
    Not a chance 
    Why not? It's a far more obvious pick than most of the games in the draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• How long since they have sold out the scaffold end?  
  • edited November 2023
    Tbf not many people expected this to be a TV game. It doesn’t always follow the logic you’d think it would.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Tbf not many people expected this to be a TV game. It doesn’t always follow the logic you’d think it would.
    If there werent many Non-League sides left, then I reckon it would be a dead cert.
  • The Scaffold end is only half capacity now because of safety reasons 
  • Was up until fairly recently of the opinion that not having to be in the same league as Gills was a good thing, as it meant we didn't have to visit that dump of a ground. 

However, I'll take this on the basis that its a local game which means its not a weekend without going to live football.
  • LeeValley said:
    Same Pompey team that started at Reading last week, don't look anything special. 
    Played 15

Won 10

Drawn 5

Lost  0.

Doing OK me thinks. 
    Just shows how poor league one is this season ( including us) because Pompey look awful. 
    Just goes to show that 3 teams should come up from the conference
  • Crewe take the lead against Derby
  • edited November 2023
    R0TW said:
    LeeValley said:
    Same Pompey team that started at Reading last week, don't look anything special. 
    Played 15

Won 10

Drawn 5

Lost  0.

Doing OK me thinks. 
    Just shows how poor league one is this season ( including us) because Pompey look awful. 
    EFL teams will never vote for it but at the very least I think 21st and 22nd in League 2 should be thrown into the National League playoffs to keep their position in the league.

So often nowadays the quality of the top of the National League is equivalent to at least mid table League 2. Giving teams an opportunity to prove that via playoffs would be the best way forward IMO.
  • Anyone know of a stream for today?
  • Rossman92 said:
    Anyone know of a stream for today?
    Game is being shown live on BBC Two. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:
    If you're not in the UK, then a VPN should get you access to the BBC iPlayer on their website.
  • Some will call Gillingham v Charlton the 'Kentish Derby" or the A2/ M2 derby but surely it's the static home v  mobile home derby 🤔

If Cray Valley Paper Mills from the Isthmian South East division win today please ignore the above bollocks.
  • R0TW said:
    LeeValley said:
    Played 15

Won 10

Drawn 5

Lost  0.

Doing OK me thinks. 
    EFL teams will never vote for it but at the very least I think 21st and 22nd in League 2 should be thrown into the National League playoffs to keep their position in the league.

So often nowadays the quality of the top of the National League is equivalent to at least mid table League 2. Giving teams an opportunity to prove that via playoffs would be the best way forward IMO.
    All three teams in the League Two auto spots, have been promoted from the National League in the last two years.

Of the teams in the top ten, only Crewe and Gillingham haven't been in the National League across the last 20-years.
  • Rossman92 said:
    It’ll be on ESPN+ in the US.
  • edited November 2023
    Some will call Gillingham v Charlton the 'Kentish Derby" or the A2/ M2 derby but surely it's the static home v  mobile home derby 🤔

If Cray Valley Paper Mills from the Isthmian South East division win today please ignore the above bollocks.
    U instead of E
  • Rossman92 said:
    If you're not in the UK, then a VPN should get you access to the BBC iPlayer on their website.
    I'd test it out now though, as I vaguely recall people having issues with that before.
  • Could be a TV game. 
    Not a chance 
    They will pick the non league games . A mid table league two side against a mid table league one side won’t have the viewers salivating. 
    If you are right it be shocked . 
  • Could be a TV game. 
    Not a chance 
    They will pick the non league games . A mid table league two side against a mid table league one side won’t have the viewers salivating. 
    If you are right it be shocked . 
    But not all those non league games are that exciting either.

Chesterfield aren't traditional non league minnows, so their game vs Orient isn't especially "romantic" for example
  • edited November 2023
    Yeah I don’t think Chesterfield v Orient will be a TV game. Those clubs must’ve played each other a lot over the years, and was a regular league fixture until 4-5 years ago.

Theres no historical or geographical link between the clubs either (that I know of) that might make it more interesting…
  • Crewe take the lead against Derby
    2-0 now