Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• JohnnyH2 said:
    We'll all be cheering on the Millers ( I assume they're talking about the pub & its "ladies"in Bexley?) 
  • You want a piss easy 2nd round then hope for a good premier league away day in the 3rd round (or another piss easy tie)
    And would some still say rest some players?

we don’t pick and choose the opponents we won’t progress very far (in all likelihood) so take every game seriously including this one. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd be going for a bit of a mix and match side , definitely wouldn't have May or Dobbo involved.

Walker

T.Watson Ness Abankwah Edun

Fraser Anderson

C.Campbell Kirk T.Campbell

Tedic 
    Kirk is the only mistake in that line up
  • Any members of our first team squad and U21s should be good enough to comfortably beat Cray on Sunday. They're amongst the lowest ranked teams we've ever played in the FA Cup.

As long as their attitude is right. Whoever is out there has to be 100% committed until the game is won.
  • seth plum said:
    If we somehow made the third round I would like to get a Championship team the likes of Swansea, or Hull, or Millwall or Coventry to see what Alfie May is made of near that kind of level.
    Looking way too far ahead mind, as the Millers massive has to be faced first.

No need - May's already scored an FA Cup goal against Man City.
  • redbuttle said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd be going for a bit of a mix and match side , definitely wouldn't have May or Dobbo involved.

Walker

T.Watson Ness Abankwah Edun

Fraser Anderson

C.Campbell Kirk T.Campbell

Tedic 
    Kirk is the only mistake in that line up

Honestly not sure who else could slide in there? Adigun or another U21? Anderson further forward if Mcgrandles is available?'
  • I'd play Kirk from the off but I'm no expert.  He's not happy where he is I suspect and he/we need someone to take a chance on him in January. Game on national TV a big motivator and I don't know that he's toxic in the dressing room, despite presumably wanting away.

He's onto a loser on here whatever because of who the opposition is. If he plays well, it won't change minds anyway, but what more can he do? If, as most expect he goes missing on the day, and controversially I'll add true to form as we've seen little of him of late for good reason, hook him off. Simples.
  • seth plum said:
    If we somehow made the third round I would like to get a Championship team the likes of Swansea, or Hull, or Millwall or Coventry to see what Alfie May is made of near that kind of level.

No need - May's already scored an FA Cup goal against Man City.
    He has also had Phil Foden sing his praises. 

If we were going to draw any championship team away, I'd want it to be QPR. Local and a chance of winning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• To all those suggesting we start Kirk, I can only say I personally wouldn't even want him anywhere near the team even for a match against Cray Valley Paper Mills!
    A great experiment though to see if he can standout against that calibre of player.

Also on the off chance he has a great game it could generate some transfer interest for January hopefully 
  • A while back Some people were saying FA CUP should have a champions league place to make clubs take it seriously (despite Arsenal Chelsea Man City Man Utd Liverpool winning it something like 20 out of 23 years) and yet some on here want us to play a weakened  team ourselves 
  • R0TW said:
    You want a piss easy 2nd round then hope for a good premier league away day in the 3rd round (or another piss easy tie)

we don’t pick and choose the opponents we won’t progress very far (in all likelihood) so take every game seriously including this one. 
    Northwich Victoria should be lesson enough
    They were a NL North team, the same level as the likes of Welling or Dartford.

Cray Valley are 2 divisions below that.
  • my text said 'Get your tickets for Cheltenham Athletic vs Cray Wanderers at Valley Parade'
    "Help cheer the Latics onto victory!"
  • seth plum said:
    How odd 

• Bayern Munich lost to a 3rd division side in the DFB Pokal, huge upset. Makes ya think...
  • edited November 2023
    R0TW said:
    You want a piss easy 2nd round then hope for a good premier league away day in the 3rd round (or another piss easy tie)

Maybe so, but have signed a few good players from the NLS.
    Adam Coombes can’t even get a start for them, and it was only 3 years ago he was banging them in for Welling.
    Then went to Billericay for £3k per week.
    Underestimate them at your peril.
  • R0TW said:

therefore even more embarrassing when we are pissing around and struggling
  • I would bring keep the defence as is. They need to find some consistency and probably need games together over a rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• R0TW said:
    R0TW said:

Adam Coombes can’t even get a start for them, and it was only 3 years ago he was banging them in for Welling.
    £3k a week sounds exaggerated, their owner said in an interview a few years ago the highest salary they had ever paid was £1k per week.
  • Guess it will be a different looking starting 11 on Sunday?
    With Chuks gone for a while will Alfie & Miles start on the bench or will MA go for a fast start and goals with a view to very early subs to then protect them? Think I'd go for Chem and Tedic to start.
    Who else needs minutes on the 'grass'?......... though I'd start embracing the new football vocabulary :)  Kirk, Fraser, Anderson, McGrandles, Chin, Tayo Edun, Ness, T Thomas, Walker?

Walker
    Chin, Ness, T Thomas, Edun
    Anderson, McGrandles, Fraser
    Tedic, Campbell

• just just heard the Appleton interview post Wigan saying some of the subs were due to fatigue/cramp. 

He is (I wish he wasn’t) laying the ground to field a significantly weaker team on Sunday I fear. 
  • just just heard the Appleton interview post Wigan saying some of the subs were due to fatigue/cramp. 

If that’s the case then a game against players not used to the same intensity seems to be the perfect run out to avoid fatigue and cramp against Pompey the following week
  • edited November 2023
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:

Nothing's certain, except death, taxes and climate change, but if our squad depth is insufficient to defeat an eighth tier side over ninety minutes, I don't fancy our chances of making the play offs.
  • Just had whatsapp from Cray Valley PM secretary sold 1500 in Jimmy Seed plus also plenty buying in the West as well
    There could be more people watching the game at the ground than there will be bothering to tune in and watch it live on the BBC at this rate 

• Bayern Munich lost to a 3rd division side in the DFB Pokal, huge upset. Makes ya think...
    That's just the curse of Harry Kane though. Bayern making sure he goes another season without a trophy...
  • I would bring keep the defence as is. They need to find some consistency and probably need games together over a rest.
    Surely the likes of Ness need minutes though? And a chance to show what they can do.
  • I think Alfie May will be desperate to play on Sunday , along with the likes of Dobson . Especially as it’s on the box . 
  • R0TW said:
    R0TW said:

£3k a week sounds exaggerated, their owner said in an interview a few years ago the highest salary they had ever paid was £1k per week.
    Bit off topic, but Welling were paying him £750 PW and he was under contract.
    Billericay payed £30k to buy out his contract and offered that figure. This was what was told to supporters from Goldburg at the time, and Welling certainly wouldn't have wanted him to leave.