Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    I'd even keep him on if we went up, he'd still be as effective for 20 minutes or so and it seems like he's a model pro which is great for our young squad
    Recent evidence implies that Chuks is too good for L1 but not quite good enough for the Championship. He was injured a lot his first season with us but he was really ineffective after lockdown when we needed an impact and he didn’t get anywhere with Birmingham under a manager who knew his strengths  
  • edited August 25
    I think he's protecting the fragile hamstring (s) better this term - deliberately holding back on high intensity sprints. It makes him partly less effective but there is plenty else in his game that make him a highly effective sub so happy to have him here for a promotion push this season.

But, there is no way he should be offered a new contract though. 
  • NabySarr said:
    No one in our team has been able to put a half-decent cross in this season, up steps Chuks, again just a step up in quality. Him and Godden is like subbing on a championship level strike partnership 
    And we've still got Leaburn to come in as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 25
    The thing about Chuks is if we can keep him at this level and the fact you are allowed multiple subs, means he is a genuine asset. If Fraser offered to walk away from his contract, the club would bite his hand off. I don't think so with Chuks now, although that might have been the case a while back.
  • fenaddick said:
    I'd even keep him on if we went up, he'd still be as effective for 20 minutes or so and it seems like he's a model pro which is great for our young squad
    Recent evidence implies that Chuks is too good for L1 but not quite good enough for the Championship. He was injured a lot his first season with us but he was really ineffective after lockdown when we needed an impact and he didn’t get anywhere with Birmingham under a manager who knew his strengths  
    I do get your point but I think if he's willing to play a smaller part and play against the less physical teams he'd be ok
  • I believe yesterday was Chuks' 100th appearance for Charlton. He is by far the most experienced member of the current team (and that's despite his injuries)
  • I believe yesterday was Chuks' 100th appearance for Charlton. He is by far the most experienced member of the current team (and that's despite his injuries)
    100 league games not all appearances 

20 of those are starts the rest as a substitute 
  • shirty5 said:
    I believe yesterday was Chuks' 100th appearance for Charlton. He is by far the most experienced member of the current team (and that's despite his injuries)

Thanks for the correction shirty. Where do you get your stats from? 
  • shirty5 said:
    I believe yesterday was Chuks' 100th appearance for Charlton. He is by far the most experienced member of the current team (and that's despite his injuries)

Thanks for the correction shirty. Where do you get your stats from? 
    My own research 
  • NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Question for everyone then, if he stays fit this season and continues to contribute well coming off the bench, do you offer him a new contract.

People said we were crazy to re-sign him but when fit, I maintain there is no better substitute in this league.
    Definitely not at the same wage he’s on now. Would really depend on the contract terms, if we could get him to agree to a much lower wage but higher appearance fee then it would be worth it 
    It does make me smile when I read some posters suggesting we should perhaps re-sign a player....... but only if he agrees to a much lower wage.

I mean, in your own job, if your employer tells you they would like you to stay - but only if you agree to a much lower wage........ 

Would you? 🤔 

@NabySarr sorry to quote your post, just an example; not really a dig at you mate, others say the same thing often enough. 

• Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Question for everyone then, if he stays fit this season and continues to contribute well coming off the bench, do you offer him a new contract.

People said we were crazy to re-sign him but when fit, I maintain there is no better substitute in this league.
    Definitely not at the same wage he’s on now. Would really depend on the contract terms, if we could get him to agree to a much lower wage but higher appearance fee then it would be worth it 
    It does make me smile when I read some posters suggesting we should perhaps re-sign a player....... but only if he agrees to a much lower wage.

I mean, in your own job, if your employer tells you they would like you to stay - but only if you agree to a much lower wage........ 

Would you? 🤔 

@NabySarr sorry to quote your post, just an example; not really a dig at you mate, others say the same thing often enough. 

If I was paid ten grand a week and my employer asked me to drop to 6 grand a week or leave then I would take it. 

People are saying on here ALL the time that you can't compare football contracts to "real life" jobs - this is another example of it and trying to compare it to a normal working contract is mad. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Would you? 🤔 

With his injury record I doubt he will have clubs queuing up to offer him a contract. 
    If it was a choice of playing for Charlton on less money or not having a job I'm sure he would consider it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It must also take a lot of our backroom resources to keep him going. 
  • Ferryman said:
    It must also take a lot of our backroom resources to keep him going. 
    What a strange thing to say. Oh no the Nurofen's run out again. CHUKS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE 
  • Dr Will Abbott's waiting list is in crisis! Chuks has block-booked the next fifteen appointment slots! 
  • Leuth said:
    Ferryman said:
    It must also take a lot of our backroom resources to keep him going. 
    What a strange thing to say. Oh no the Nurofen's run out again. CHUKS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE 
    Erm, not really strange at all
  • Let's see if he can stay fit for the whole season. If he can't then there is no conversation to be had about a new contract imho.
    On 15% of the wages he receives now.
  • Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Would you? 🤔 

He will be 32 by the time his contract runs out, he can't start games, he's injury prone and his minutes have to be carefully managed all the time. It's very likely he will have to take a salary cut.
  • edited August 26
    shirty5 said:

80% from the bench sounds about right.
    I guessed at 85%.
    Back when Stockley was scoring goals for CAFC; 20 goals in all competitions, Chuks had to be convinced he could start matches when Jayden got injured. 
    The coaching staff, medical staff and Stockley all tried to Cajole Aneke, that he could start games with the proviso that he would be subbed if any issues or around 60 minutes had elapsed. Our Pembury born Welshman Williams only had a 60 minutes battery so often left the pitch on the hour mark if he wasn't a sub.

I wonder what Chuks Aneke's goals to Minutes on the pitch is in those 100 appearances 🤔
  • Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Would you? 🤔 

He will be 32 by the time his contract runs out, he can't start games, he's injury prone and his minutes have to be carefully managed all the time. It's very likely he will have to take a salary cut.
    Can't see what sort of deal he expects given his injury record. Don't see much interest.

Such a shame he's so injury prone.
  • Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Would you? 🤔 

Can't see what sort of deal he expects given his injury record. Don't see much interest.

Such a shame he's so injury prone.

Yes - for us and for him. A sustainably fully fit Chuks would be top end Championship and he would have a much higher bank balance. 
    He's ours though and he will always do the best he can for us given his glass body.
  • One of the best things about this summer’s business is we can finally just use Chuks as the weapon he was built for. Half an hours impact off the bench. We are not relying on him to do something he can’t.

It could genuinely be the difference between top 6 and not.

In the 90 odd minutes he’s played so far, we’re 3-0 up and he’s played a crucial role in 2 of goals and missed a sitter that I’m sure in a few weeks he’ll be burying.