Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks

Since the other thread got closed....

Always great to see him back playing and more importantly affecting the game with his presence today by all accounts. Obviously still loads of question marks there but if IF we could somehow manage him and get the best of him for 30 odd games from the bench this year... could change our season... or alternatively in 3 games time he's back on the shelf and normal service resumes??? 

Its the hope that bloody kills you ain't it!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    It's no coincidence that Chuks fitness inconsistencies have kind of mirrored Charltons performance inconsistencies over the last few years.

If we could keep him relatively fit for a whole season I think you'd see a big change in the latter. I know we are questioning the wealth of our ownership but if I was them I would move heaven and earth to keep him fit.
  • Options
    Great to see him back. Hope he silences the haters.
    Haters?
  • Options
    Yes if only we could keep him fit. Such an impact. Weapon from the bench against tiring defenders at this level. Please keep fit Chuks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When on the pitch he is the most talented player we have. It is sad for us and a tragedy that his body seems to be not upto the rigors of professional football.
    He should be a super sub for us given the above. He can change games.
  • Options
    What gets me is he can look so good despite not having played for ages!
    Needs a top sports psychologist to convince him he can start matches. He’s way better than Mikes is at this stage of his development, and would be awesome alongside May. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I don't think theres hatred in most people, I believe the issue people have with Chuks is the frustration. A potentially match winning player is constantly injured with an issue that has never fully been made clear. We all know he's talented but we never get to see him at his best. Hopefully this is just the start of his renaissance.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Just keep using him like he was yesterday, forget about him starting games, its suicide in the long run - But he's an ideal battering ram to see out a match, or go for it
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    What gets me is he can look so good despite not having played for ages!
    Needs a top sports psychologist to convince him he can start matches. He’s way better than Mikes is at this stage of his development, and would be awesome alongside May. 
    Unfortunately I think we are way passed the stage where we can expect to get 90 minutes out of him.
    If he can come on as sub with 30 minutes to go on a regular basis then I think that's as good as it gets. 
    I think maybe if the issue IS in his head (at least partially) then maybe this would actually help with that. Less pressure to be "90 minutes" fit, just be ready to come off the bench and ruin some poor defender's day.
  • Options
    Found Appleton's comments about disagreeing with sports scientists interesting in the context of Aneke. I've wondered if he's been under conditioned for a while because everyone's terrified he'll break down. But surely if you don't build the strength it's easier for him to break down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    With games being around 100 minutes this season, even Chuks coming on in the 80th minute will be a decent bonus for us. 

It’s key that fans (I think most of us do), the club, and the player now accept Chuks cannot start games or play an hour plus in a game. Chuks playing 15-20 minute cameos should still add a lot to our season.  
    Absolutely this, I think we need to cut the guy some slack, he’s a 4th / 5 th choice striker at best, and needs to be used in that way, great to see him back, but I’m not getting my hopes up.
  • Options
    I like any comment that quotes Leonard Cohen.
  • Options
    As already said, good to see him back, and would be good to see more of what he can produce, not really sure what his "injury" was, thought it might be more than the standard issue, and seem to recall it being stated, or not, that they were unwilling to disclose the actual cause of him missing so many games, but whatever it is, just stay fit Chuks please, 'cos we could certainly do with more on the pitch rather than off it...
  • Options
    Glad he’s back. A little surprised if I’m honest but the proof will be for how long. 20 minutes of Chuks is better than none at all.