Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm

Comments

• ValleyBen said:
    Croydon said:
    I see it's Thomas' turn for 'players who get better when they're not playing'. 
    AMB too. 
    And Fraser.
  • Rothko said:
    Evans is scum, never should have been allowed back into the sport after what he did at Boston
    What did he do at Boston ?
  • Rothko said:
    Evans is scum, never should have been allowed back into the sport after what he did at Boston
    What did he do at Boston ?
    https://twohundredpercent.net/steve-evans-football-manager-convicted-criminal/
  • And Evans is mates with Rodwell???

Is that the 'football professional' Rodwell now with us?
  • My take on today's game. 

1st half we were shocking. Having said that we should have had a penalty. 

2nd half at least we showed some fight and eventually got a penalty to earn a well deserved draw.

We are still faced with the same old problem that we need to score a minimum of 2 goals in order to win a game. 

Our defence at times looks league 2 standard and this will be Appleton's biggest challenge in improving us as a team.

Finally I try never to criticise Ref's as I think things even themselves out over time. 
    But this prick today is just about as bat a ref  as I've seen.

Anyway onwards and upwards. 
    maybe 30 to 40% of the time it manages to be league 2 standard the rest it struggles to rival Welling's in national south
    ambling back, ball watching, mis-reading the flight of the ball, flat refusing the "if in doubt, leather it out" safety first policy that should be compulsory when your ball control and passing are both so pony, they're all just so meek - the linos get an easy ride - they all just shrug and dawdle on after each goal conceding blunder 

Clattering the ball into row Z might be ugly and mess up the possession stats (FFS!) but the opposition ain't scoring from throw-ins, well not immediately anyway, you all get a restart and a few seconds to remember what the actual funk you're supposed to be doing
  • AMB is 24
    Harry Isted is 26
    Not much difference in age.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    My take on today's game. 

1st half we were shocking. Having said that we should have had a penalty. 

2nd half at least we showed some fight and eventually got a penalty to earn a well deserved draw.

We are still faced with the same old problem that we need to score a minimum of 2 goals in order to win a game. 

Our defence at times looks league 2 standard and this will be Appleton's biggest challenge in improving us as a team.

Finally I try never to criticise Ref's as I think things even themselves out over time. 
    But this prick today is just about as bat a ref  as I've seen.

Anyway onwards and upwards. 
    maybe 30 to 40% of the time it manages to be league 2 standard the rest it struggles to rival Welling's in national south
    ambling back, ball watching, mis-reading the flight of the ball, flat refusing the "if in doubt, leather it out" safety first policy that should be compulsory when your ball control and passing are both so pony, they're all just so meek - the linos get an easy ride - they all just shrug and dawdle on after each goal conceding blunder 

Clattering the ball into row Z might be ugly and mess up the possession stats (FFS!) but the opposition ain't scoring from throw-ins, well not immediately anyway, you all get a restart and a few seconds to remember what the actual funk you're supposed to be doing
    We need an entire thread on our defence,  or lack of it.

• edited September 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• I think our lack of creating chances is down to the 2 options we seem to adopt to get the ball forward.

Option 1: Whack it 50 yards up there and hope that it falls to our striker(s). 

Option 2: Play lots of 5 yard passes, continually moving the ball from one byline to the other, and 5 minutes later we'll be on the edge of the opponents penalty box. Of course, by then they've got 10 players camped in the area and we can't find a way through. It takes away any space for players creating a move and leaves no room to get round the back of their defense.  At this point we either concede possession or end up passing it backwards and repeating one of these 2 options. 

If only someone would invent more options.............

• I think our lack of creating chances is down to the 2 options we seem to adopt to get the ball forward.

Option 2: Play lots of 5 yard passes, continually moving the ball from one byline to the other, and 5 minutes later we'll be on the edge of the opponents penalty box. Of course, by then they've got 10 players camped in the area and we can't find a way through. It takes away any space for players creating a move and leaves no room to get round the back of their defense.  At this point we either concede possession or end up passing it backwards and repeating one of these 2 options. 

and yet we were top six goal scorers last season. 
    I think you may have to go back and watch all the games played last year and come back with the reason we are so successful.
  • Redrobo said:
    I think our lack of creating chances is down to the 2 options we seem to adopt to get the ball forward.

and yet we were top six goal scorers last season. 
    I think you may have to go back and watch all the games played last year and come back with the reason we are so successful.
    That was last season. My comment stems from my observations from this season so far.
  • edited September 2023
    At the start of the season, many of us thought a midfield of Dobbo, Fraser and Camara would be up there with the best in the league. We haven't had any evidence to change that opinion because two out of the three have been injured. Dobbo has looked as good as anybody in the division in the meantime.

It is a good point about us scoring goals. We did score an above average number for the league last season, but forgetting about conceding too many, we also saw that we could be stopped when teams employed ultra negative tactics. I thought Stevenage, top of the table and at home, were always careful to have bodies behind the ball against us.
  • edited September 2023
    Redhenry said:
    We drew. But I will never be content with a draw at the likes of Stevenage, sorry...
    What about at the likes of Brentford? Are we still above treating them with respect too? Where’s the line?
  • edited September 2023
    Are you comparing Brentford to Stevenage? poles apart

• Stevenage, Fleetwood, Burton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham, I could go on. I will never be happy when Charlton lose or draw with the likes...
  • edited September 2023
    Redhenry said:

Very very recently. Other than that they were pretty much the same.
  • Redhenry said:

Very very recently. Other than that they were pretty much the same.
    Stevenage are a smaller club than Brentford have been in any of our lifetimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    Stevenage, Fleetwood, Burton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham, I could go on. I will never be happy when Charlton lose or draw with the likes...
    I don’t understand why so many have a problem with drawing or losing against teams we’re in the same division as. Both teams are there on merit.

If what you’re saying is you’re upset we’re in the third tier, say that.
  • Redhenry said:
    Stevenage, Fleetwood, Burton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham, I could go on. I will never be happy when Charlton lose or draw with the likes...
    I don’t understand why so many have a problem with drawing or losing against teams we’re in the same division as. Both teams are there on merit.

Come on mate.  No one is happy!

I have gone full circle in my Charlton supporting "career".  I started in the 70's and the 3rd division.  I very much doubt I will see us promoted one level at the moment before I go tits up.
  • Redhenry said:

Its all part 'n' parcel of the English Football System, and its why its the best in the World - One minute we're Chelsea's bogey team, the next we're discontent at losing to Stevenage... Nothing in the future to stop us playing Ebbsfleet in the Championship.

Like you say... The issue for many is the tier we're in... There is nothing to stop us meeting Stevenage in the Premier League one day, when they're the next Manchester City winning everything under the sun, would we be content to draw with them then?
  • Redhenry said:

So do you think Man U, Man C, Arsenal fans etc would have a problem if they were regularly for years & years drawing & losing to Prem teams like Luton, Sheff U? 
  • edited September 2023
    Redhenry said:

So do you think Man U, Man C, Arsenal fans etc would have a problem if they were regularly for years & years drawing & losing to Prem teams like Luton, Sheff U? 
    IMO it’s just disrespectful to those clubs who have earned their place at that level. And would happily call out a Man U or Arsenal fan for saying that.

Focus on your own club’s problems before having a dig at the “small” club you’ve just dropped points against. In that instance, it would be the fact that finishing outside the top six year after year isn’t good enough for them. Not that they lost or drew a one off game against say Brighton, which Man U in particular tend to do a lot of lately.
  • We’re fucking shit and in this division playing shit like Stevenage , football is never about thinking logically or reasonably 
    and no I’m not excited in the cold light of day with a point at Stevenage , it’s the shittiest of footballing times for us and crap like Stevenage , fuck em 
  • edited September 2023
    Stevenage are no more shit than us? Who is higher in the league? What about Bolton, Reading, Wigan when they lose to Stevenage?

some of our fans are stuck in an era that was 15 years ago.

That isn’t what this football club is today. We are exactly where we deserve to be until as a club we prove otherwise.
    Yes, and it would probably help the players and the atmosphere at the club if we stopped looking backwards all the time, and accepted that we deserve to be where we are right now because we’ve had shitty owners for years, and we don’t win enough matches. 
    The fact is that we are sometimes going to be underdogs when playing clubs that are historically way smaller than us. 
    Anyway, the underdog spirit is something we could really do with right now. Remember how it helped us against QPR and Brighton last year, and up at Old Trafford? 
  • We’re fucking shit and in this division playing shit like Stevenage , football is never about thinking logically or reasonably 
    and no I’m not excited in the cold light of day with a point at Stevenage , it’s the shittiest of footballing times for us and crap like Stevenage , fuck em 
    Gross.

I’m sure you were perfectly happy when the shoe was on the other foot, as was most of the forum… totally didn’t spark a reaction from Charlton fans…

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbrough-2-charlton-athletic-2-mowbray-blast-sparks-late-rally-from-boro-1866175
  • I understood what Mowbray was saying , at that point in time . I might not like it but he’s talking up his team 

Stevenage are historically punching (we are the opposite) and I’d happily put a wager we’ll be above them in 5 years time 

we are at our lowest footballing ebb , no one has to tell me we’re shit , I’ve been watching it and calling it out for most of the last 15 years when most have made out we’re a lot better or were going to be a lot better than has turned out .

Even when we finished above spurs or West Ham , I’m sure their fans were disappointed losing to us when we were punching and they were poor by their standards .
    it’s just the way it is 
    we should be beating and finishing above crap like Stevenage and I’m pretty certain over the next 20 years we will more than not .