Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm

Comments

• SE7toSG3 said:
    Great to see Chucks back, amd the travelling support acknowledged that and JFK in a class way today. 

Game of two half's, awful ref but a points a point and we can build on that. 

Good to see so many old faces today, and @clive hope you enjoyed the pub in Knebworth, he keeps good beer in there! 
    I did enjoy the pub, good food & good beer.
    A good suggestion by you, much better than a fans bar.
  • Glad to have got the point 

Abankwah and Leaburn were playing their way back to form and match sharpness as far as I could tell

Chuks! Good to see ya, pal!

Overall, I think we are suffering from a diktat to bring youth through to earn some coin... 

Appleton came across well in pre and post match interviews.

COYR!
  • Good Point today 
    The  referee was appalling as so many are in this league and cost us at least two penalties.
    It’s very early days, but an improvement 👍👍
  • edited September 2023
    Wasn't there nor did I watch the stream (legally or illegally) so no comments on the match itself. 

I came on to say that if (big IF) we can get Fraser & Camara back in the team by the start of October AND Chuks doesn't break down again then we start to have a semblance of a half decent team. Also playing some experienced players rather than kids with hardly any League experience might help us pull away from the bottom of the table. 

Still think top 6 is a pipe dream but let's see where we are at xmas. If we in the top 10 then maybe we can look upwards rather than downwards....but as it stands this looks like another wasted season. 
  • It’s not. Where’s the foul? He jumps over his foot and dives. 
    WIND UP ALERT! (and not a very good one!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to believe I am happy to get a draw at mighty Stevenage but that's how our club has declined does my nut in
  • With so many subs, and a water break, (FFS) and all of the fouling, it's impossible for any team to get any momentum, spoiling the modern game, for me. Difficult watch, starting to look like the NFL.
  • It’s not. Where’s the foul? He jumps over his foot and dives. 
    Watch it again, their bloke lands on Andersons right foot... not the left... stonewall pen. 
  • 1968CAFC said:
    Good Point today 
    The  referee was appalling as so many are in this league and cost us at least two penalties.
    It’s very early days, but an improvement 👍👍
    It's not just the penalties, every time there's a challenge for the ball, there's a nudge or push in the back that might or might not get punished.
  • Did Appleton go over to the supporters at full time? I hope so as I thought they where excellent today 👏
  • Think AMB would have saved their goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• No one came away with any credit regarding their goal.
    Edun, Dobson, Jones and the keeper could have all done better 
  • ross1 said:
    Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Second half of course better but I didn't really see any sort of footballing style on display, Chuks just did Chuks things and caused them problems. Always impressed by Chuks raw power and physicality. I thought Sweeney, Piergianni & Thompson were schooling young Miles, in particular Thomson, Chuks comes on and all of a sudden they're playing completely different. Got to be worth having a look at Piergianni and Sweeney though as I thought they were class in the Carabao cup last season and thought they were very decent again today.

We will take the point considering the circumstances. Need a big home result now against an in-form Wycombe, 4 wins and 1 draw in their last 5 league outings..

Do you not think that Miles Leaburn needs a player, say Alfie May to play in a two up front ? 
    The irony which shouldn't be lost on Charlton Critic's is Chuks Aneke is about the only player we have who can play as a lone central striker because of his strength but when will we see him again ? 
    Chuks prefers to start on the bench so even if he doesn't have a reaction we will only get limited time out of Aneke.

I will ask again as somebody must know why did we use 6 subs ( another concussion?)and when did May get concussion?

Taylor concussed today, May concussed in training on Tuesday and must have seven days off

Thanks Ross, Oggy, Large and Fortune 👍
    If there’s anything else you need, don’t hesitate to ask 🙂
  • Did the lino give a single decision all game? The handball I can understand the ref missing as he was so far away and I think his view was blocked - but lino must have been looking straight at that!

Jones I thought did well, goal aside. Abankwah seems to have a bit of quality but will reserve judgement for now. Leaburn looked like he's been out for a while but don't see we had much other choice today.

Overall we just looked a yard slow and unconfident in the first half, compared to Stevenage who know what they are about and get after it. Second half was much better and chuks changed it - thought all the subs did well to be fair!
  • To quote other posters
    ”lack of Robustness “
    and
    ” not strong enough to play through teams. Not good enough to play around”

Stevenage were solid and well drilled and played the officials all day long. In the image of the pie man

We need toughen up and wise up. Maybe, just maybe, Mr Mussels is the man to do just that

Of course we shouldn’t hold our breath 

• JamesSeed said:
    ross1 said:
    Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Second half of course better but I didn't really see any sort of footballing style on display, Chuks just did Chuks things and caused them problems. Always impressed by Chuks raw power and physicality. I thought Sweeney, Piergianni & Thompson were schooling young Miles, in particular Thomson, Chuks comes on and all of a sudden they're playing completely different. Got to be worth having a look at Piergianni and Sweeney though as I thought they were class in the Carabao cup last season and thought they were very decent again today.

We will take the point considering the circumstances. Need a big home result now against an in-form Wycombe, 4 wins and 1 draw in their last 5 league outings..

Do you not think that Miles Leaburn needs a player, say Alfie May to play in a two up front ? 
    The irony which shouldn't be lost on Charlton Critic's is Chuks Aneke is about the only player we have who can play as a lone central striker because of his strength but when will we see him again ? 
    Chuks prefers to start on the bench so even if he doesn't have a reaction we will only get limited time out of Aneke.

I will ask again as somebody must know why did we use 6 subs ( another concussion?)and when did May get concussion?

Taylor concussed today, May concussed in training on Tuesday and must have seven days off

Thanks Ross, Oggy, Large and Fortune 👍
    If there’s anything else you need, don’t hesitate to ask 🙂

Question 1 for you James ?
    Is that the first time in Charlton's history we have used 17 players in a League match ?

Question 2
    When Thomas came on for Abankwah did Jones go to RB, Hector and Thomas CB and Edun at LB ?

Question 3
    If Micky Apples had an arm wrestle with Hector, who would win ?