Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm

Comments

• Worth noting, in terms of promotion rivals, that we are currently just 3 points behind Derby and Peterborough, and 6 behind Barnsley, Bolton, Pompey and Wycombe, so it really is all to play for.
    Yeah, I admire your optimism but get real ...... there's only 117 points left to play for.

• Just looked at the goal conceded, Jones gets shimmed and doesn't seem to want to stick a leg out, the keeper, either thinks that's going wide or it catches a deflection that can't be seen, but the biggest reason that goal comes about is Dobson leaving the eventual goal scorer to go and help cover the attacking wide player, he should stay where he is. 
  • Another poor 1st half & again better in the second with the penalty getting us the draw but happy with a point take that & look to improve well done you Reds B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Second half of course better but I didn't really see any sort of footballing style on display, Chuks just did Chuks things and caused them problems. Always impressed by Chuks raw power and physicality. I thought Sweeney, Piergianni & Thompson were schooling young Miles, in particular Thomson, Chuks comes on and all of a sudden they're playing completely different. Got to be worth having a look at Piergianni and Sweeney though as I thought they were class in the Carabao cup last season and thought they were very decent again today.

We will take the point considering the circumstances. Need a big home result now against an in-form Wycombe, 4 wins and 1 draw in their last 5 league outings..

Do you not think that Miles Leaburn needs a player, say Alfie May to play in a two up front ? 
    The irony which shouldn't be lost on Charlton Critic's is Chuks Aneke is about the only player we have who can play as a lone central striker because of his strength but when will we see him again ? 
    Chuks prefers to start on the bench so even if he doesn't have a reaction we will only get limited time out of Aneke.

I will ask again as somebody must know why did we use 6 subs ( another concussion?)and when did May get concussion?

• Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Second half of course better but I didn't really see any sort of footballing style on display, Chuks just did Chuks things and caused them problems. Always impressed by Chuks raw power and physicality. I thought Sweeney, Piergianni & Thompson were schooling young Miles, in particular Thomson, Chuks comes on and all of a sudden they're playing completely different. Got to be worth having a look at Piergianni and Sweeney though as I thought they were class in the Carabao cup last season and thought they were very decent again today.

We will take the point considering the circumstances. Need a big home result now against an in-form Wycombe, 4 wins and 1 draw in their last 5 league outings..

Do you not think that Miles Leaburn needs a player, say Alfie May to play in a two up front ? 
    The irony which shouldn't be lost on Charlton Critic's is Chuks Aneke is about the only player we have who can play as a lone central striker because of his strength but when will we see him again ? 
    Chuks prefers to start on the bench so even if he doesn't have a reaction we will only get limited time out of Aneke.

I will ask again as somebody must know why did we use 6 subs ( another concussion?)and when did May get concussion?

Taylor concussed today, May concussed in training on Tuesday and must have seven days off

Taylor went off under the concussion protocol. Can’t help with Alfie.
  • swordfish said:
    Please tell me that people haven't written off a young player inexperienced at this level making his debut out of position in a new team that's been struggling. To any that have, I place no value whatsoever on your opinion
    Don't see anyone writing him off, but he was poor today. 
  • Bailey said:
    Just looked at the goal conceded, Jones gets shimmed and doesn't seem to want to stick a leg out, the keeper, either thinks that's going wide or it catches a deflection that can't be seen, but the biggest reason that goal comes about is Dobson leaving the eventual goal scorer to go and help cover the attacking wide player, he should stay where he is. 
    But if Dobson doesn’t move to shut him down and he walks into the box and sets up a tap in, we’d be asking why he didn’t go over to cover the beaten Edun. The real problem was Jones not picking up anyone, and, like Curbs and Brownie, I’ve no idea what Isted was trying to do. 

Lots of blame all around for that goal. 
  • edited September 2023
    Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Yes, Ness came on as a concussion sub. Taylor got trod on by a Stevenage player after we had a corner. Was down for a fairly long time and helped to be helped off and looked fairly dazed. Hope he is Ok.

And May got hit in the face by a ball last week in training and was diagnosed with mild concussion.

May took the ball hard in the face during training last Tuesday, and deemed to have suffered mild concussion, Sam.

We used 6 subs today .....  after Terry Taylor took a blow to the head - no risks taken with head injuries.
  • edited September 2023
    ross1 said:
    Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Taylor concussed today, May concussed in training on Tuesday and must have seven days off

Thanks Ross, Oggy, Large and Fortune 👍
  • I nearly didn’t watch the second half and was looking out some appropriate gifs for this thread. Thankfully it improved a bit and, as others have said, a point on the road against the league leaders is not to be sniffed at. However, it is frustrating that after a full month of the season we still have no idea of our best 11 and, even if we did, not a clue when we could get them all on the pitch at the same time. Hopefully MA will have realised after this that the youngsters need to be rested if possible. He will have also realised that he has to chose between two less than ideal goalkeepers and in centre half's we are rich in quantity but low on quality. Stevenage were no mugs unlike some opposition that have rolled us over in recent weeks so that is encouraging at least. 

Good to have Chuks back. He was a proper weapon for half an hour and he has already proved me wrong as I didn’t think we’d see him back in a Charlton shirt again. I hope this renaissance lasts a while longer than previous attempts.  

Shout out to the travelling Addicks. Made a proper noise on the stream. 
  • Sponsored links:

Of course he does mate, Alf not being on the pitch made a massive difference today I thought. He gives defenders little time to pass it around and their so called 'dark art' antics were allowed even further as no one pressures defenders for us like Alf does.

Miles will learn but Thompson had his number for sure. Hopefully Miles picks it up, just back from an injury after all.

Chuks is amazing, if the bloke didn't have fitness issues I can only imagine how good he could be. I have never seen a stronger player at Charlton than Chuks, just brushes people away and then looks relatively quick on the shoulder as well. Hope we can see more of him
  • I thought Abankwah showed flashes of really good play but struggled to cope with the Stevenage physicality. Fingers crossed he’s got the ability to learn quickly because I think today would’ve been a rude awakening for him.
  • Still MA has not won his first game in charge at a new club
  • TelMc32 said:
    Terrible defending for their goal. From Dobbo leaving his man (and he was poor today, especially in the first half) to Jones pathetic attempt to stick a foot (it was the wrong one) in to, well I’m still not sure what Isted was doing. Just dreadful. 

We were so poor in the first half, but still should have had a penalty for the challenge on Karoy. The ref/linesmen were appalling all game.  Too many “boys” on the pitch, against a team of “men”. As a few have said, we are too nice and not enough players who can stick a foot in and be niggly/mix it up with the opposition. 
    I was shocked to see Chuks on the bench, but he made the difference. Their defenders had an easy time against Miles & Tyreece and they had time to double & treble up on CBT when we got the ball to him. 

Chuks & Taylor can be pleased with themselves & Tedic looked better, although it was a soft penalty to finally get. Lovely finish from Corey. Louie also did well coming on and certainly wasn’t backward about letting the ref know what he should be doing.

It’s hard to say, because we’ve fallen so far, but that’s a good point. With the returnees today and May, Camara & Fraser to come back as well as Tennai (who I’d almost forgotten about), Appleton will have better options than Holden did. He needs to get them believing in themselves. Oh, and bring Maynard-Brewer back too.
    Yep. That’s the game I watched. 
  • ross1 said:
    Still MA has not won his first game in charge at a new club
    Blackpool beat Reading 1-0 in his first game & the first game of last season.
  • ross1 said:
    Still MA has not won his first game in charge at a new club
    Blackpool beat Reading 1-0 in his first game & the first game of last season.
    Was it his first spell at Blackpool or his second, which means not his first game for a new club?