Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 16th September 2023 @ 3pm

Comments

• Bailey said:
    Just looked at the goal conceded, Jones gets shimmed and doesn't seem to want to stick a leg out, the keeper, either thinks that's going wide or it catches a deflection that can't be seen, but the biggest reason that goal comes about is Dobson leaving the eventual goal scorer to go and help cover the attacking wide player, he should stay where he is. 
    But if Dobson doesn’t move to shut him down and he walks into the box and sets up a tap in, we’d be asking why he didn’t go over to cover the beaten Edun. The real problem was Jones not picking up anyone, and, like Curbs and Brownie, I’ve no idea what Isted was trying to do. 

Lots of blame all around for that goal. 
    Unfortunately the Stevenage player wins the race to the byline, perhaps someone should have taken one for the team to stop him getting there.
  • JamesSeed said:
    ross1 said:
    Diabolical game of footie. Shows the level of the league that they were top. They have some decent centre backs and they sliced us up a bit on our left hand side first half but other than that, bang ordinary side and we didn't test them at all first half. 

Second half of course better but I didn't really see any sort of footballing style on display, Chuks just did Chuks things and caused them problems. Always impressed by Chuks raw power and physicality. I thought Sweeney, Piergianni & Thompson were schooling young Miles, in particular Thomson, Chuks comes on and all of a sudden they're playing completely different. Got to be worth having a look at Piergianni and Sweeney though as I thought they were class in the Carabao cup last season and thought they were very decent again today.

We will take the point considering the circumstances. Need a big home result now against an in-form Wycombe, 4 wins and 1 draw in their last 5 league outings..

Do you not think that Miles Leaburn needs a player, say Alfie May to play in a two up front ? 
    The irony which shouldn't be lost on Charlton Critic's is Chuks Aneke is about the only player we have who can play as a lone central striker because of his strength but when will we see him again ? 
    Chuks prefers to start on the bench so even if he doesn't have a reaction we will only get limited time out of Aneke.

I will ask again as somebody must know why did we use 6 subs ( another concussion?)and when did May get concussion?

Taylor concussed today, May concussed in training on Tuesday and must have seven days off

Thanks Ross, Oggy, Large and Fortune 👍
    If there’s anything else you need, don’t hesitate to ask 🙂

Question 1 for you James ?
    Is that the first time in Charlton's history we have used 17 players in a League match ?

Question 2
    When Thomas came on for Abankwah did Jones go to RB, Hector and Thomas CB and Edun at LB ?

Question 3
    If Micky Apples had an arm wrestle with Hector, who would win ?
    Q1. Huh. New fangled subs. Wouldn’t have happened in Jimmy’s day when they didn't need subs. 

Q2. No

Q3. It wouldn’t even be a contest. Hector is too laid back to even try.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Mentioned this on the match thread, but it’s still annoying me, for some reason. On two occasions our trainer came on to treat an injured player. He had a bottle of water sticking out of his bag , presumably so the injured player could have a drink. On each occasion a Stevenage player pinched the water when the trainer had his back turned, and shared it with other Stevenage players. Not a peep from any of our players, (or perhaps they didn’t notice?) Not a peep from the trainer either. 
    I’m sure it’s just part of the Stevenage wind up machine, but you’d imagine the Pratleys of this wouldn't be ‘aving it. 
    What's the problem? 
  • cafctom said:
    I imagine I’m leaving myself for some flak here.

Am I the only one who thought we were absolutely dreadful?

Not a single shot on target besides the penalty. That was not an acceptable performance. “Good point” or not. 🤷‍♂️ 
    I think we’ve been pretty much dreadful all season 
  • Off_it said:
    It’s not. Where’s the foul? He jumps over his foot and dives. 
    WIND UP ALERT! (and not a very good one!)
    It’s not but fine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we’ve been pretty dreadful for 3 seasons Same shot different managers 
  • Was a tough first half. Steven age are ugly to watch, but you have to respect how good they are at what they do, and it was working against us. It looked men against boys and it was, to an extent, with so many players U23 in the starting XI. A very tough opponent for someone like Abankwah to make his full league debut against, and in an un favoured position. It wasn’t just the youngsters though, we struggled all over the pitch to match their intensity, physicality, and organization. 

We looked much better once Chuks came on (great to see him back) as Leaburn was not having one of his better afternoons and was struggling to get on the ball.

Was convinced CBT was going to blaze his penalty over but actually it was a good pen under pressure. 

Lots to work on, but some encouragement that we kept at it and fought back, despite the best efforts of one of the worst refs we’ve ever had.

Overall I’m happy with the point from a tough away game. Hopefully things improve from here though. 
  • That’s the 4th game this season that poor ref decisions have had an effect on the final result .. deserved better deserved more from the second half performance good to see MA not scared to make changes .. he would have learnt a lot today both good and bad … 
  • Off_it said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Mentioned this on the match thread, but it’s still annoying me, for some reason. On two occasions our trainer came on to treat an injured player. He had a bottle of water sticking out of his bag , presumably so the injured player could have a drink. On each occasion a Stevenage player pinched the water when the trainer had his back turned, and shared it with other Stevenage players. Not a peep from any of our players, (or perhaps they didn’t notice?) Not a peep from the trainer either. 
    I’m sure it’s just part of the Stevenage wind up machine, but you’d imagine the Pratleys of this wouldn't be ‘aving it. 
    What's the problem? 
    The problem was he only had one bottle. 
  • I think we'll stay up 
  • I thought Steve Evans had lost some weight. He must have been following the “Adkins” diet proving that walking is good for you. The game? Usual fare of defensive errors which i believe Appleton will successfully address. Good core of outfield players considering our playmakers were still out. Sharpen up the defence and we might just be in with a shout as there’s a long way to go yet

• se9addick said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Good Point today 
    The  referee was appalling as so many are in this league and cost us at least two penalties.
    It’s very early days, but an improvement 👍👍
    The refereeing standard seems to be getting worse which is saying something, soon we’ll be at the point where you might as well drag some bloke out the local boozer at 2:45pm and ask him to ref the match.

As a microcosm of the standard we get at this level in the space of about 90 seconds today there was a foul in the box on Anderson which was blatantly a penalty for Charlton and nothing was given. Then straight after they had a penalty shout which the replays showed should have been a free kick to them (Dobson fouled their player, but it was outside the box), again nothing was given. Then straight from that incident we had another shout for a penalty which the replay showed should have been a corner to us, once again nothing was given. 

Probably the clearest example of how bad League One refereeing is when in the space of about 90 seconds there should have been a penalty, a free kick and a corner and not a single one of them was called properly. 
    If the first incident (pen to us) had been given then incidents 2 & 3 would not have happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we’ve been pretty dreadful for 3 seasons Same shot different managers 
    We'll soon be swapping seasons for decades.
  • Bods64 said:
    I thought Steve Evans had lost some weight. He must have been following the “Adkins” diet proving that walking is good for you. The game? Usual fare of defensive errors which i believe Appleton will successfully address. Good core of outfield players considering our playmakers were still out. Sharpen up the defence and we might just be in with a shout as there’s a long way to go yet

He hasn't, look at the Orient v Stevenage YouTube.
    He's got to be 20 stone.
  • Fair score on the face of things….but Evans really is one deluded mug
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chuks made the difference at the end, not only was he physical enough to compete with their defence he was making intelligent and dangerous lay offs, something that Leaburn struggled with. In a way he masked our problems, first half and most of the second it was men and against boys. A lot of our youngsters are just not physical enough to compete in this division, Campbell being the worst culprit especially as most of our attacking play went through him. Stevenage were well drilled, super fit and physical. Their attacking play was one touch into the channels and they got the ball into the area super quick. Our players are technically superior but took several touches before laying off meaning our attacks were slow and easy to defend against. We simply don’t play like a League One team and we’re not good enough to play around these physical teams. We need less youngsters and more experienced lower league players.
    Agree we need fewer youngsters right now. Tyreece was a bit lightweight today, Anderson had a slightly off game and Abankwah had a bit of a mare - although Stevenage ruthlessly roughed him up, protected by a weak ref. Only his first match though, and he’ll improve. 
    Chem and Terry look like players. Thomas was quite classy when he came on. Genuinely two footed, which is quite rare in L1. 
    So good to see Aneke return. Get him playing regularly and we’ll be harder to bully. He creates chaos up front. 
    And as I mentioned before, I rated Appleton’s post match interview. He sounds like a proper football man, and his assessment of the performance was spot on. 
    The fans were awesome today. Would have been there, had it not been for a family visit. Kudos to them. I think they made a real difference today.

And someone should sit the ref down and make him watch the game again. Not just the penalty mistakes, but the constant niggles, pushes and dives from Stevenage - masters of the dark arts. Would love to have snuck a winner in the 110th minute. 
    We need a striker who not only score goals ( yes May) but also hold the ball up( ?Leaburn - sadly not yesterday).
    Takes the pressure off the defence, puts pressure on the opposition, and will help against the better teams and in tough competitive games.
    Fortunately I have one here and he's free......
  • JamesSeed said:
    It's common practise in football. Get over it.