Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Auld Enemy vs England | 7:45pm KO - Live on C4 | Match Thread

Comments

• Chunes said:
    Still think Henderson starts ahead of Jude 
    Certainly ahead of Phillips. 
  • There are very few players that would be considered a bargain at 100 million, but i think madrid have massively underpaid
  • CAFCsayer said:
    There are very few players that would be considered a bargain at 100 million, but i think madrid have massively underpaid
    Has there ever been a player so worth that money at such a young age? Messi or Ronaldo maybe would have been. 
  • edited September 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Nahhhh, can't start players who have semi-retired out in silly leagues
  • Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Nahhhh, can't start players semi-retired out in silly leagues
    A fair point actually. I rescind my comment. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Poor bloke!!... Worst person that could have happened to
    But the likeliest person, which is the point.
    Oh come on that was a great cross and mix up between Maguire and the Keeper. Maguire did the right thing going for it. Needed to leather it rather than just try to flick it. 
    Right, but he didn't, because he's low on confident and in poor form.  It's a worry for England.  

So lets make his confidence even worse when he gets stick from his own fans, playing for England - Maybe not tonight if they're from the Scots, but we cant pretend those who "support" the sides he plays for, are just as bad.
    Sorry, you're right.  Just in case he reads Charlton Life, it wasn't a poor own goal.
    Dont make yourself look silly... 

Booing Harry Maguire an 'absolute joke', says England boss Gareth Southgate - BBC Sport
    I wouldn't boo him.

But am I not allowed to think he's in terrible form and becoming a worry for England despite doing well for us in the past?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Oh come on that was a great cross and mix up between Maguire and the Keeper. Maguire did the right thing going for it. Needed to leather it rather than just try to flick it. 
    Right, but he didn't, because he's low on confident and in poor form.  It's a worry for England.  

So lets make his confidence even worse when he gets stick from his own fans, playing for England - Maybe not tonight if they're from the Scots, but we cant pretend those who "support" the sides he plays for, are just as bad.
    Sorry, you're right.  Just in case he reads Charlton Life, it wasn't a poor own goal.

Booing Harry Maguire an 'absolute joke', says England boss Gareth Southgate - BBC Sport
    I wouldn't boo him.

But am I not allowed to think he's in terrible form and becoming a worry for England despite doing well for us in the past?
    If he's a back up option from the bench or to add to the bench he's fine. 
  • Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Nahhhh, can't start players who have semi-retired out to silly leagues
    Alexander-Arnold is probably the best alternative option alongside Rice in the Midfield, allowing Bellingham the freedom ahead of them.

Yet Southgate likes the slightest amount of experience through the team - He probably feels he got burnt without Henderson against the United States, and having it work the rest of the World Cup has made it comfortable for him.
  • Even Walker isn't that fast LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Nahhhh, can't start players who have semi-retired out to silly leagues
    Alexander-Arnold is probably the best alternative option alongside Rice in the Midfield, allowing Bellingham the freedom ahead of them.

Yet Southgate likes the slightest amount of experience through the team - He probably feels he got burnt without Henderson against the United States, and having it work the rest of the World Cup has made it comfortable for him.
    Yeah but I'd pick Gallagher because... Well... I love him. 
  • edited September 2023
    Dazzler21 said:

I wouldn't boo him.

So lets make his confidence even worse when he gets stick from his own fans

I was referring to the booing in the Grounds when I said the above, rather than comments on Forums

Hopefully tonight has allowed Southgate to see that Dunk is a potential option in the Defence, because the majority of England games he's been shown to have been reliable - What Gareth needs to find is someone who is playing regularly, and will do better than Harry for the National Team. 
  • I wouldn't be using Wilson personally. 
  • How successful is Southgate compared to previous managers?
  • 1 minute added time in he first half, just 3 in the second. The ref not following the game guidelines as those in the PL and EFL.
  • edited September 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    How successful is Southgate compared to previous managers?
    hE's gOt LuCkY

Its my favourite statement when people describe his run - As I rarely remember any difficult draws where we've deserved to go out (2002 and 2010 the only ones perhaps)
  • You have to ask as well are Scotland really this much worse than Hungary or are we seeing something of a reaction from England?
  • edited September 2023
    Think it shows that Scotland’s Euro qualifier group is pretty weak. England are a step above anything we’ve played so far (and you think they could have gone up another couple of gears too if they needed). 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    hE's gOt LuCkY

Its my favourite statement when people describe his run - As I rarely remember any difficult draws where we've deserved to go out (2002 and 2010 the only ones perhaps)
    I mean we've had some brilliant talent over the last 30 years. This lot are just all playing well together. I wonder who is key for that?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    1 minute added time in he first half, just 3 in the second. The ref not following the game guidelines as those in the PL and EFL.
    I think Uefa came out very quickly recently and said that is not going to happen.
  • 1 minute added time in he first half, just 3 in the second. The ref not following the game guidelines as those in the PL and EFL.
    Friendly though innit. 
  • se9addick said:
    Think it shows that Scotland’s Euro qualifier group is pretty weak. England are a step above anything we’ve played so far (and you think they could have gone up another couple of gears too if they needed). 
    Harsh on yourselves to be fair, given the result against Spain - Be interesting to see how you do against them in the reverse match.
  • Chunes said:
    Great result and always nice to see Charlton legend Chris Powell replaced on the England bench by Charlton legend Jimmy-Floyd Hasslebaink
    Hope they strengthened and widened the bench.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Is he?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    You have to ask as well are Scotland really this much worse than Hungary or are we seeing something of a reaction from England?
    It was a bad defeat but not sure we had to react too much given it was 15 months ago 
  • Happy with that. After they thrashed us 0-0 at the Euros and their recent form, Scotland will have really fancied that tonight. Barring a 5 minute spell they were comprehensively outplayed.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    hE's gOt LuCkY

I mean we've had some brilliant talent over the last 30 years. This lot are just all playing well together. I wonder who is key for that?
    Steve Holland - He was always very highly rated @ Chelsea.

I genuinely get a Clough | Taylor feeling from Southgate and Holland - I think if he buggered off, then Southgate's limitations would be exposed a little more.
  • se9addick said:
    Harsh on yourselves to be fair, given the result against Spain - Be interesting to see how you do against them in the reverse match.
    Beating Spain is an amazing result, they have some good players but are a team in transition.

I’ll be in Seville next month for the return fixture, hoping for a repeat!