Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Auld Enemy vs England | 7:45pm KO - Live on C4 | Match Thread

Comments

• Nice to see Dunk get a chance
    Phillips and Rice in midfield- would have liked to see a more attacking balance to the midfield.
  • I'd have also preferred a more attacking line up. 
  • McTominay looks a beast. I haven't watched much PL over the last couple of years but he's put on muscle and seems taller than i remember.

Nullifying him will be key to stopping Scotland overloading our box. 
  • Phillips starting is hilarious has played about 200 mins in 18 months at city.

Southgate also said he doesn’t play Foden in midfield because pep doesn’t play him there, most of the players in his squad play on the bench for their clubs.
  • Rice and another (Henderson/Phillips) will hopefully give Bellingham the license to do what he does best.

Put a more attacking midfielder in there instead and that limits Bellingham’s freedom to be a threat around the box.
  • My boss is from Aberdeen - bracing myself for an endless avalanche of WhatsApp messages this evening …..

In my younger days I was well up for England matches, these days I struggle to get enthusiastic - dunno why - I will watch tonight, but not with passion I have for Charlton 
  • Rice and another (Henderson/Phillips) will hopefully give Bellingham the license to do what he does best.

Put a more attacking midfielder in there instead and that limits Bellingham’s freedom to be a threat around the box.
    Bellingham can still get forward, as Rice is there to cover him.

He's very effective arriving later anyway, rather than being permanently near Kane
  • Phillips starting is hilarious has played about 200 mins in 18 months at city.

Southgate also said he doesn’t play Foden in midfield because pep doesn’t play him there, most of the players in his squad play on the bench for their clubs.
    It's not difficult to see what Ward-Prowse brings to the team (are there any better deliverers of a dead ball from corners and free kicks yet alone the goals he scores from the latter) that Phillips can't but I am struggling to see what Phillips offers that Ward-Prowse doesn't. And that's without, as you say, the fact that the likes of Phillips and Maguire play so little for their clubs.  

Bellingham can still get forward, as Rice is there to cover him.

He's very effective arriving later anyway, rather than being permanently near Kane
    In theory yeah but in practice is a different matter. Bellingham sees Maddison or Eze pushing forward and I’d imagine would naturally want to fill in the space and help Rice rather than join the attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haha, Daily Mail readers are going to lose the plot! 
  • Scottish Pricks booing the national anthem. Disgusting behaviour. 
  • Bloody English... Booing their own Anthem now :D
  • More Celtic than Rangers in the house tonight.
  • British people booing the British national anthem, dear me.

oh well, looking forward to watching Scotland’s cup final. 
  • Bloody English... Booing their own Anthem now :D
    It's the Millwall fans. 
  • Uh oh Italian Ref.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Uh oh Italian Ref.
    Dont worry, he's gonna be better than any English referee ;)
  • I like Scotland’s kit design, very sharp. 
  • edited September 2023
    Nice lower to mid table premier league sized ground that. ;)

Genuinely though a nice ground. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Scotland’s kit design, very sharp. 
    Very clean design. 
  • Waits for the "It's boring, shows no effort" etc.
  • se9addick said:
    Haha, Daily Mail readers are going to lose the plot! 
    In the same way Guardian readers would if it was the other way round 
  • Get a goal now and it’ll shut the jocks up 
  • What a shit ball back in by Rice. 
  • Ridiculously heavy pass for Foden to run onto. 

It's just like watching Charl'on
  • Akin Famewo header from Dunk. 
  • Get a goal now and it’ll shut the jocks up 
    Get a goal now and it might shut Dazzler up!
    Rashford did okay a moment ago and Rice to get the ball to him. 

I get that the likes of Phillips haven't let England down in the past but how in gods name can Southgate judge what type of form/sharpness he is in right now given he NEVER PLAYS! Its absolutely farcical. Must be so tempting for players like Ward-Prowse to tell Southgate to shove it next time he comes calling.