Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

I'm deputising for @LoOkOuT today as he has hurricane related internet issues, but as I've not seen the game this is based on BBC live text and the last few minutes of the match thread.
Jason Pearce' first game in interim charge of the team ends in not just a victory, but a long awaited Golfie. My informants tell me that the first half was pretty rubbish, with Fleetwood going 1-0 up due to Jayden Stockley invoking the curse of the former player with a headed goal after roughly quarter of an hour, but Alfie May equalising just before half time. Miles Leaburn made a welcome return from injury, coming on as sub for Tyreece Campbell halfway through the second half, and Corey Blackett-Taylor won us a penalty that Alfie May converted to put us 2-1 up. Slightly worryingly Chem Campbell had to have treatment on the pitch a couple of times, and was subbed off in the 85th minute, so hopefully that was just precautionary.  We continued to have some good chances going into the TWELVE minutes of added time, but there was also some nailbiting as Hector conceded a free kick in a dangerous area in the 99th minute. Luckily we held on for what seemed like ages, and we appear to have held up the classified results, being the last game to finish.
Final score: CAFC 2 - Fleetwood Town 1

Comments

• Phew.

Needed that.

Not convincing but hopefully it stops the rot a bit.
  • edited September 2023
    Wasn't the greatest performance or match but proud of the lads today. Great win for Pearce as well, sure he'll learn a lot from it. Time for Andy Scott to get the right man in...
  • A win, a bloody win, I can't believe it.
  • Well done Jason. 
  • What the hell was going on. I left in plenty of time. Was 3 hours doing half a mile on tunnel approach.. needless to say never got there!
  • Sponsored links:

• So pleased for Pearce. 

They now have 2 weeks to get the right man in, settle in all the new signings, get the ones coming back properly fit and really build on that very dogged win.
  • Well done lads. Body Pearceings all round.
  • Scrappy as hell for 80 mins but very nice to finish the game strongly where it has been the complete opposite up to now! Assimwe and Anderson getting stronger in each game! 

Great to have Miles back! 
  • follett said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    felt like a relegation 6 pointer and a win’s a win.  Take the 3 points and build on that.  Meantime, alfie’s gonna get sussed on those pens - they are not good
    He’s taken two pens this season and scored two? He’s a very talented striker I’m sure he will mix them up 
    Exactly. There's only two types of penalties - the good ones that you score from and the bad ones that you don't. End of.
  • follett said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    felt like a relegation 6 pointer and a win’s a win.  Take the 3 points and build on that.  Meantime, alfie’s gonna get sussed on those pens - they are not good
    He’s taken two pens this season and scored two? He’s a very talented striker I’m sure he will mix them up 
    He was rubbish on pens in pre-season though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    For FS, for once I can enjoy the weekend!🙀

Are we in the Play Off positions yet?
  • Why did they take Stockley off. Idiots.
  • Three words:
    George Dobson. Peerless
    No, apparently he is "criminally over-rated on here".
  • Followed on the match thread. 
    First half sounded as bad as it gets

good to get a Golfie after 18months or so 
  • edited September 2023
    Showed a lot of fight and commitment in the 2nd half which o don't think we've seen for a while. Once we got in control we didn't really let it slip. Still have some defensive frailties and against big physical sides like Fleetwood where they simply out muscled/heighted us for periods. 

We struggled down our right hand side in the first half with RB, RW and RCM all being kids. Just needed a bit of experience in there.

Chem looks a player and Miles is class. Oh and Edun was impressive.
  • edited September 2023
    Felt like a relegation 6-pointer which is pretty damning of our season so far. 

Pearce again had a similar problem Holden had, where he set us up completely wrong and first half we were pretty terrible. 

Turned it around after the break and the subs helped us to over the line. 

Fleetwood are terrible. We were a bit better than that. 
  • Football is a game of two halves.