Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Plenty of attacking talent in the side but very raw.
  • edited September 2023
    Much better second half after a pretty awful first. Leaburn made a difference, Dobson was good. 
    Good to stop the rot. 

• Off_it said:

This was the "clear penalty" not given on Campbell. Their player definitely played the ball and the only question is whether he went through Campbell first. Doesn't look like it from this shot.
    Nothing to do with his feet, more the massive shove between the shoulder blades that sent him flying.  Nailed on pen from side on view.
    Personally I think he got the CBT one wrong too, but I’ll take it
  • CatAddick said:
    Off_it said:

This was the "clear penalty" not given on Campbell. Their player definitely played the ball and the only question is whether he went through Campbell first. Doesn't look like it from this shot.
    Nothing to do with his feet, more the massive shove between the shoulder blades that sent him flying.  Nailed on pen from side on view.
    Personally I think he got the CBT one wrong too, but I’ll take it
    Well he's clearly not shoved him over by the time he played the ball - as the picture shows.
  • PWR.

Will add more later.

Fleetwood were like us.....didnt take their chances when they were ahead. They should have been 3 up at HT.....and Mays equaliser dragged us back into it. Only 1 winner from then on & we really should have been out of sight before TWELVE mins were added.

Leaburn made a difference & so does a natural goalscorer.
  • Some brain dead play at times but also some nice moves. Nowhere near promotion though. 
  • PWR.

Will add more later.

Fleetwood were like us.....didnt take their chances when they were ahead. They should have been 3 up at HT.....and Mays equaliser dragged us back into it. Only 1 winner from then on & we really should have been out of sight before TWELVE mins were added.

3 up at half time?! Hit the bar and scored otherwise I can't remember a clear chance 

What a 🤡
  • Sponsored links:

• The short clip on twitter is more conclusive than that Bitmap snapshot. 
  • Ridiculous booking for May - goalie gives May lip before penalty, Alfie returns it after he scores. What else did the ref think was happening. Probably means May will have to miss a game.
  • edited September 2023
    That first half was up there with the worst I’ve ever seen, possibly the worst in our entire history. We keep getting worse each week.

plus side, somehow won, May is clearly a decent striker if we weren’t utter toilet, and Leaburn looked class and exactly what we have been missing when he came on. Angry, physical, aggressive, determined, self confident. Let’s hope he can help turn us around, despite how toss we’ve been all season, I think the table would probably look relatively exciting at the moment if we’d had him involved for the first 5 games. 
    I think I’ve seen worse in the last couple of seasons. 
    One things for sure, we haven’t replaced Innis. We have no presence in the box, and that Stockley goal was always on the cards. He wasn’t even challenged. We will always struggle against the long ball teams this season unless Abankwah turns out to have a leap on him. He’s only 6ft. That’s the biggest failure of the window for me. Not Abankwah, who might be RB this season, but not signing a dominant CB. 
    At least we saw two killer passes today, the first from Chem for May (you always felt we would finish) the second a beaut of a defence splitting pass from Edun for CBT. The latter cut inside beautifully to draw the foul.
    Very happy with the three points, even though the performance was so-so. 
    Oh, and Miles looked sharp, which is a massive positive, and probably should have been playing down the middle. 
    PS Lovely volleyed cross with his left foot from Kirk which could and should have been converted. 
    The season isn’t dead yet folks. 
  • Important win after a bad few weeks. 

First half was worryingly bad at times, but we picked it up 2nd half and deserved the win. 

Big decision on the manager now. We really need to get it right 
  • Horrible experience, poor ref, three points, Leaburn sighted.
    One win down, now win the next six...one at a time.
  • PWR.

Will add more later.

3 up at half time?! Hit the bar and scored otherwise I can't remember a clear chance 

What a 🤡
    Yeah 3 is a bit OTT but they did have another couple of chances, a cross that flashed across that the striker should have got his head on and a very well worked corner that the guy should have at least got on target instead of blazing over but I suppose you either missed them or forgot them. Easy to do if you have subjective memory.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    PWR.

Will add more later.

What a 🤡
    Yeah 3 is a bit OTT but they did have another couple of chances, a cross that flashed across that the striker should have got his head on and a very well worked corner that the guy should have at least got on target instead of blazing over but I suppose you either missed them or forgot them. Easy to do if you have subjective memory.
    Not subjective at all. 2 "shoulds" don't make a difference at all. If there clear or Itsted saves fair enough but they didn't get anywhere near so hardly worth mentioning.
  • Off_it said:

I didn't think it was a penalty.  So times you get them, some times you give them away.

Its so easy to blame the refs, good teams win amd take the odd 50/50 ref decision out of the equation.

You could easily argue refs have cost us as much as 6 points this season.  We have cost ourselves more.
  • Total lack of confidence among the team in that first half had me fearing the worst but one moment of class gave us the boost required.

Much better second half, though not without it's bad moments, like Hector's error leading to a dangerous free kick in the 99th minute.

Happy with the three points but much work to be done by the new manager.
  • Awful first half, much improved in the 2nd half.  Need to put a run for much needed stability. 
  • edited September 2023
    Three words:
    George Dobson. Peerless
    But allegedly been told by scott that he won't be offered a new contract. Can anybody itk confirm this ? (or was it a wind up?)
  • Cor Blimey, one win and it feels like we've won the Champions League. TS said we would, didn't he?
  • Three words:
    George Dobson. Peerless
    But allegedly been told by scott that he won't be offered a new contract. Can anybody itk confirm this ? (or was it a wind up?)

So Charlton won't offer him George a new contract and will let him walk away and get sweet FA for him when his contract expires.

This is Charlton Athletic the selling team for the last 100 years but please 🤷🏻‍♂️

🤦🏻‍♂️Give me strength Bob.