Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    I don't agree that Edun had a poor game - him and Chem Campbell were the 2 playing the football and if he had a couple of errors defensively, he more than made up for that offensively.  He looks made for the wing back role to me - i'd defo go 3 5 2 -

once fit:

AMB

watson

jones
    hector
    irish chap 

Edun

dobbo
    camara
    fraser / c campbell

leaburn / tedic
    may

so good to see leaburn back  and playing well - somebody with presence up top with may will make such a difference to this side - cbt would be a weapon i'd deploy from the bench 

• Having missed the penalty during the Tunnel problems but seeing the it later on TV, it was a stonewall penalty where a player leaves his leg out and another player knowingly goes over it. You can't leave your leg out like that. 

I only went through with my journey due to meeting friends in the ground. I gave myself a lot of time but didn't get to the game until the 81st minute. My brother was driving to the game too but gave up. I suspect a lot of fans turned back home which may have affected the numbers of those in the ground. That was the worst jam I have been in that I can remember. Added to that the train strike and numbers would definitely have been affected to some degree.

It was mostly down to how we have been playing that would have been the biggest reason 
    When the new players was brought on the field before the game they must have looked around & thought wtf is this it 
    Hopefully we will kick on get a few wins under our belt & get the numbers back up

• Davo55 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I don't agree that Edun had a poor game - him and Chem Campbell were the 2 playing the football and if he had a couple of errors defensively, he more than made up for that offensively.  He looks made for the wing back role to me - i'd defo go 3 5 2 -

once fit:

AMB

watson

jones
    hector
    irish chap 

Edun

dobbo
    camara
    fraser / c campbell

leaburn / tedic
    may

so good to see leaburn back  and playing well - somebody with presence up top with may will make such a difference to this side - cbt would be a weapon i'd deploy from the bench 

Agree with you about Edun, but not so sure about playing three centre backs. We look a lot more solid with a back four (Lloyd Jones was much stronger yesterday) and Edun can still bomb forward, in the style of a Rhoys Wiggins. I generally think people forget about attacking impact of the old-style attacking/overlapping full backs - it doesn't have to be a wing back.
    fair point - as long as we play 2 up top, i don't really mind how the rest is set up
  • DOUCHER said:

once fit:

AMB

watson

jones
    hector
    irish chap 

Edun

dobbo
    camara
    fraser / c campbell

leaburn / tedic
    may

Agree with this 
  • Eden has attracted a lot of criticism but I am not sure why. Fleetwood did play a lot of long balls to the big bloke on Eden first half (similar to the way teams used to target Solly) and that bit was tricky, but I thought Fleetwood were generally better in the air at all player to player match ups.
    In the woeful first half I thought Eden was the least bewildered of all of our players, and was always trying to get things going in an attacking sense, but I did think the Eden Chem CBT triangle got a bit messy and. Players were a bit too much on top of each other, sometimes negating good passing and playing opportunities.
  • A good report.
    No way there were 119 away supporters though.  :)
  • Scott Brown got the sack from Fleetwood 
  • seth plum said:
    Eden has attracted a lot of criticism but I am not sure why. Fleetwood did play a lot of long balls to the big bloke on Eden first half (similar to the way teams used to target Solly) and that bit was tricky, but I thought Fleetwood were generally better in the air at all player to player match ups.
    In the woeful first half I thought Eden was the least bewildered of all of our players, and was always trying to get things going in an attacking sense, but I did think the Eden Chem CBT triangle got a bit messy and. Players were a bit too much on top of each other, sometimes negating good passing and playing opportunities.
    He didn't have a good game Seth, he didn't even get close to the fella who crossed for Stockley's opener. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having missed the penalty during the Tunnel problems but seeing the it later on TV, it was a stonewall penalty where a player leaves his leg out and another player knowingly goes over it. You can't leave your leg out like that. 

I only went through with my journey due to meeting friends in the ground. I gave myself a lot of time but didn't get to the game until the 81st minute. My brother was driving to the game too but gave up. I suspect a lot of fans turned back home which may have affected the numbers of those in the ground. That was the worst jam I have been in that I can remember. Added to that the train strike and numbers would definitely have been affected to some degree.
    What was the problem at the tunnel? Roadworks? Sheer weight of traffic?

Still I'm sure it will all be fine when you are charged to go through it:-)
  • The problem was outside the tunnel on the south side where there were a few excavators working in a path of some kind next to the road which meant through the tunnel southbound, only one lane was open.
  • Bailey said:
    seth plum said:
    Eden has attracted a lot of criticism but I am not sure why. Fleetwood did play a lot of long balls to the big bloke on Eden first half (similar to the way teams used to target Solly) and that bit was tricky, but I thought Fleetwood were generally better in the air at all player to player match ups.
    He didn't have a good game Seth, he didn't even get close to the fella who crossed for Stockley's opener. 
    I didn’t really say he had a good  game, but I do think the criticism has been more than I would aim at him for the reasons I said.
    I will repeat my other point that in general Fleetwood won nearly all heading duels all over the pitch.
  • edited September 2023
    I wanted Charlton to win obviously and Stockley to Score and shut the morons up who get off on booing ex players. I wanted it to be a consolation goal not the first goal !
    The first half reflected a team who were so devoid of confidence with a possible six defeats in a row in League and cup after Jayden scored a text book header and nearly a 2nd from the free kick. Smashing guy off the pitch with his partner and 3 children when he isn't at work.

The first half team talk helped by the equaliser just before the break was Jason Pearce rendition of Henry V.

A slight worry that Edun was more Penney than Wiggins but let's give our Left footed, LB time to be match fit and what will be the best formation to suit not only him but CBT.
    Edun will be fine as an attacking back.

The Elephant in the room is that the Formation that will suit CBT: 4-3-3 won't play to the strengths of Leaburn and May being close together. It's a 16 man game of 100+ minutes now so formations have to be more flexible and change during a game.
    Unless your Man City who only need a Plan A.

Some good posts from the Gaffer AFKA, (stop brown nosing) Weegie for giving a Glasgow kiss to a verbal critic of a young cafc player and the high quality of Blucher's despatches from the front line.

Last and definitely least for Cabbles saying the political words "green shoots of recovery" 🤷🏻‍♂️

You don't have to be bonkers to be a Cafc fan/critic over the last several decades but it helps.

Have a nice day 👍
  • Bailey said:
    seth plum said:
    I thought Edun was dreadful in the first half - Fleetwood were left with acres of space and he neglected his defensive duties. 
    He was. Glad we have balance on the left side now and he looks a threat going forward but defensively he's certainly worse than Sess up to now. 
  • Edun and Chem's through balls were sublime. More of that please. 
  • surely a LB should be first and foremost a good defender which to date Edun is not, but not to say that he might not become one. At times we had CBT, CC and Edun all attacking on the left, might it not be better for Edun to be more defensive and leave the attacking bit on the left to CBT and CC but allow Edun to make the occasional foray down the left 
  • Wanting Stockley to score? I'm lost for words 
  • Scott Brown got the sack from Fleetwood 
    Hope he got told over text... the way he walked to the Dugout yesterday, I wouldnt want to tell him to his face.
  • Sponsored links:

• surely a LB should be first and foremost a good defender which to date Edun is not, but not to say that he might not become one. At times we had CBT, CC and Edun all attacking on the left, might it not be better for Edun to be more defensive and leave the attacking bit on the left to CBT and CC but allow Edun to make the occasional foray down the left 
    If we take more of our chances the other end, don't always fall behind, etc, I do feel our games will shape out differently. But that requires effort and quality.
  • Why do so many managers insist on 3 CBs when we have looked so much more like when we play a flat 4? Genuinely curious if I'm missing something cause it has been the ruining of Jackson, Garner and now Holden. Of course we have seen some limited successes from the 3-5-2 but it's just odd how rigid our managers have been in their approach. Am I missing something??? 
  • Why do so many managers insist on 3 CBs when we have looked so much more like when we play a flat 4? Genuinely curious if I'm missing something cause it has been the ruining of Jackson, Garner and now Holden. Of course we have seen some limited successes from the 3-5-2 but it's just odd how rigid our managers have been in their approach. Am I missing something??? 
    Point of order: Garner adapted to a back four for at least the second half of his tenure
  • Absolutely get in!

I love May, Dobbo and CBT, serious serious players. 

First half, shambles, second half, different side & a deserved 3 points. 

Special mention to Anderson! first senior season and he didn't look out of place, kept going the whole game. I saw a lot more from Dobbo today in terms of instructions, he seemed a lot more vocal than usual, come on Dobbo, get nasty & add that extra steel to your game! 

Video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7MxZD3G_0E

Nothing fancy just a few chats as per, got their goal and our winner, slightly missed our first frustratingly.

But yeah can't complain, crucial result and now 2 weeks to find a new manager and get this squad up this poxy league, happy weekend addicks, I am gonna get trollied now 

COME ON YOU REDS! 
    Still got your Wolves mate’s words in your head when Chem gets the ball in those areas. No way were you expecting that inch perfect through ball. ;-)

Great video mate - good to watch one with a winning perspective.
    Haha tbf, I thought he was very decent yesterday, some really nice dribbles and looked composed, sublime assist as well.

Early doors but may just be a case (probably is) of Wolves being on a completely different level to us so my mate expects way more.

Thank you Cal, was on about 3 hours sleep so was trying to stay upbeat, dread to think how flat it would have been had we lost again 
  • mendonca said:
    Nice video that @Braziliance. You manage to make the Valley look like an 80k stadium with those angles!
    Catfish fan mate haha, got to try and cause an illusion to the neutral that we sell well still. 

Thank you for watching :)
  • Bailey said:
    seth plum said:
    I thought Edun was dreadful in the first half - Fleetwood were left with acres of space and he neglected his defensive duties. 
    I also don't think Edun was great, really rocky first half and then started quite poor for an opening spell of the second, two bad mistakes that could have costed. Pulled through though and ended quite strong in the end. 

If I'm honest, the most notable thing for me is his pace, he's quite slow for a full back imo, that's why he tried to be clever when his winger had him and lost the ball. I thought Ryan Broom was giving him some real problems at times and Broom was probably their stand out player as a result
  • seth plum said:
    It's Edun mate.