Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Sometimes we need to credit the attacker for a goal rather than criticise the defenders.
    Stockley knew exactly what he was doing through the build up and pulled away from Jones and Hector who were guilty of ball watching, admittedly.
  • edited September 2023
    Sometimes we need to credit the attacker for a goal rather than criticise the defenders.
    Stockley knew exactly what he was doing through the build up and pulled away from Jones and Hector who were guilty of ball watching, admittedly.
    I would normally agree, but in my opinion there was plenty of time to adjust our defensive shape. The ball took ages to come over from the cross, and in no scenario should Anderson be marking Stockley.

**Watched it on highlights. Anderson follows Stockley run from midfield into the box when Hector should have taken over marking him.
  • edited September 2023
    That game today should have been sponsored by Polyfila

A job done but still loads of cracks to plaster over 
  • Delighted for Pearcey proper Charlton 

And that’s it really 😂

Gonna be a long long season 
  • BTW that's 23 bookings already in 6 games.

We're not a soft touch anymore!
    Mmmmhh, we are! Indiscipline, mistimed challenges and lazy decisions have led to that stat. Not is suddenly turning into Italy in their prime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sometimes we need to credit the attacker for a goal rather than criticise the defenders.
    I would have liked  our defender to have made it a bit harder for the cross. It was goal as soon as it left his foot.  
  • So dumb that yellow cards can't be rescinded, CBT now has one for something Anderson done, and then actively leapt out of the way of challenges afterwards! Or maybe that was the ploy all along as CBT isn't exactly known for steaming into tackles 
  • sam3110 said:
    So dumb that yellow cards can't be rescinded, CBT now has one for something Anderson done, and then actively leapt out of the way of challenges afterwards! Or maybe that was the ploy all along as CBT isn't exactly known for steaming into tackles 
    Can't we get Kirk or McGrandles to take the booking instead?
  • That first half was up there with the worst I’ve ever seen, possibly the worst in our entire history. We keep getting worse each week.

plus side, somehow won, May is clearly a decent striker if we weren’t utter toilet, and Leaburn looked class and exactly what we have been missing when he came on. Angry, physical, aggressive, determined, self confident. Let’s hope he can help turn us around, despite how toss we’ve been all season, I think the table would probably look relatively exciting at the moment if we’d had him involved for the first 5 games. 
    'The worst in our entire History' I get it that the first half was poor but that's a bold statement and you must be well into your hundreds if that's the case, I can only remember shit from 68. 
  • Croydon said:
    The Bad

- The first 42 minutes stunk the place out. I couldn’t work out if the application was off or they were painfully devoid of confidence. I come to the conclusion it was both. But it was soul destroying to watch the nothingness about us.

- The fragility of our defending was once again there to see. Edun looks ok on the ball but doesn’t look a natural defender. Put absolutely no pressure on their wide player who got a simple cross in and could have done 5 secs earlier if he hadn’t turned in. 

- The goal once again highlighted the lack of height we have defensively and I don’t think have addressed. We’ll keep being a target of teams from wide areas, particularly with Isted in goal who I think is very iffy. 

The Ugly

- Perhaps it’s an age thing, but I hate booing ex players who have no reason to be booed. I’m not sure what it achieves other than making a player even more determined to play well. Stockley had a rough patch of form before he left when Garner players him 30yds isolated from anyone else, but he  always put a shift in for us and was a former captain. Just don’t get it. And of course, he goes and scores. Ex players should only be booed if they mugged us off in the press / TV, or give it large when playing again us. 

The Good

- The reaction in the 2nd half, straight from the whistle. 

- The first game this season we’ve played to the final whistle without running out of puff. 

- Leaburn back, he has such a good touch for a big player. 

- Alfie slotting away a striker 1-on-1,

- Chem Campbell looking like he might have something. 

As always, when the ref blows the whistle I celebrate a win against tiny Fleetwood as if we’ve beaten Man City. Thank god we weren’t playing a better team. But it’s so nice not having your weekend ruined by that lot.

Well done JP. Up the Addicks 

Aye. Quite a few boos for Stockley  near me, who had the temerity to move to Fleetwood when Charlton decided to sell him. Didn’t celebrate and showed his class, not sure I’d have done the same in his position.
    Worse than that was booing Kirk when he got subbed on. Got some absolute parcels in our fanbase 
    What is a parcel in this context? Googled the urban meaning and it says it's slang for beautiful women. If that's what you mean, where do they sit please ? Asking for my single pals. And what do these beauties have against Kirk? 
    Was always used to call someone an idiot when I was a kid
  • sam3110 said:
    So dumb that yellow cards can't be rescinded, CBT now has one for something Anderson done, and then actively leapt out of the way of challenges afterwards! Or maybe that was the ploy all along as CBT isn't exactly known for steaming into tackles 
    Actually I think they can be reassigned when a blatant error has occurred.

Expect to see in the week that the booking has been "transferred" to Anderson. 
  • edited September 2023
    Relieved to have a win today, even if it led to a less "interesting" outcome for me than for @cherryorchard.

I'm not sure I could have handled another loss.

Very glad that I missed the first half though.

• Sponsored links:

• A wins a win but don’t get to carried away they are poor
  • Back on board HMS Pisstheleague - choo choo 🤓
  • aliwibble said:
    BTW that's 23 bookings already in 6 games.

We're not a soft touch anymore!
    But how many of those were for time-wasting or dissent though?
    the refs have been shit
  • Fleetwood have lost their last 6 six games, I think. Could have been us!
  • Kap10 said:
    Poor first half, who would have thought that Jayden Stockley is good with his head and left unmarked in front of goal he would score!

Thought May's goal was pretty decent. Dobbo, Chem and Corey were the standout performances for me.

I'm a bid AMB fan but Isted did ok, without a lot of pressure

The second half lasted 104 minutes or so and add on the 3 minutes from the first half and that was a pretty long game117 minutes!

Deserved the win and it could have been by a cricket score or lost by the odd goal.
    He wasn’t unmarked though. That’s why it was so concerning. 
  • mendonca said:
    Fleetwood have lost their last 6 six games, I think. Could have been us!
    But wasn't. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Off_it said:

This was the "clear penalty" not given on Campbell. Their player definitely played the ball and the only question is whether he went through Campbell first. Doesn't look like it from this shot.
    Yeah I was right in front of it, never a pen. Didn't stop me shouting at the ref though who was a complete homer and terrible all game.

Enjoyed the guy behind me shouting "bullied as a child were you ref?" 
  • May should have had his hattrick. 3 or 4 chances towards the end where he didn't quite get it right as the ball flashed across the box.