Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• aliwibble said:
    follett said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    felt like a relegation 6 pointer and a win’s a win.  Take the 3 points and build on that.  Meantime, alfie’s gonna get sussed on those pens - they are not good
    He’s taken two pens this season and scored two? He’s a very talented striker I’m sure he will mix them up 
    He was rubbish on pens in pre-season though.
    And thats why he's decided to blast them imo. He had no confidence after missing 2 in pre-season & just decided to hammer them.down the middle. 
  • aliwibble said:
    follett said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    felt like a relegation 6 pointer and a win’s a win.  Take the 3 points and build on that.  Meantime, alfie’s gonna get sussed on those pens - they are not good
    He’s taken two pens this season and scored two? He’s a very talented striker I’m sure he will mix them up 
    He was rubbish on pens in pre-season though.
    And thats why he's decided to blast them imo. He had no confidence after missing 2 in pre-season & just decided to hammer them.down the middle. 
    Fraser or Leaburn on pens for me, when on the pitch. 
  • Poor first half, who would have thought that Jayden Stockley is good with his head and left unmarked in front of goal he would score!

Thought May's goal was pretty decent. Dobbo, Chem and Corey were the standout performances for me.

I'm a bid AMB fan but Isted did ok, without a lot of pressure

The second half lasted 104 minutes or so and add on the 3 minutes from the first half and that was a pretty long game117 minutes!

Deserved the win and it could have been by a cricket score or lost by the odd goal.
  • Off_it said:
    mart77 said:
    Fleetwood will be in League 2 next year and although I’m pleased with any win, I found the wild celebrations of some fans at the end, bizarre. The first half was so poor and May’s goal saved the players an almighty blast from the stands. 

In the next two weeks the new manager MUST sort out the defence and pick a team style that the players are comfortable with. The defence looks as unstable as a man on a one legged stool and this has to change. What’s happened to Hector? He looks a shadow of last season. 

The current squad needs fresh voices guiding them I believe, so I hope whoever the new manager is, he brings in a few staff who will ‘fire a few fucks into them’ as my father would say! 

I really like Asiimwe and Anderson but I’m hoping they’ll feature more from the bench going forward and this will aid their development. 

Chem Campbell looks a good prospect and I think if we steady the ship he’ll do well for us. 

Leaburn and May will be quality together I believe  and we may have our best strike partnership in a long time. 🙏

If we can get a new manager in who can steady the defence and sort out our shape and if we can keep Leaburn and May fit and if we can get Fraser and Camara back, whilst two or three of the new lads solidify us then a few wins in a row could change the outlook going forward. 

One thing for sure is that we’ll have to be a lot lot better than we were today to get mid table, let alone top 6 but you never know…

Jeez, when did your father say that?

On second thoughts, perhaps it's best we don't know ....
    You hear it a lot in Ireland @Off_it especially in relation to watching hurling in my house. Irish equivalent of ‘Get into them, fuck em up’ 😂👍🏼
  • My buddy eventually got through the tunnel and arrived in the 84th minute
  • JP - Half time team talk:

"Ball to feet, on the ground" 

A very encouraging 2nd half 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Three words:
    George Dobson. Peerless
    But allegedly been told by scott that he won't be offered a new contract. Can anybody itk confirm this ? (or was it a wind up?)

So Charlton won't offer him George a new contract and will let him walk away and get sweet FA for him when his contract expires.

This is Charlton Athletic the selling team for the last 100 years but please 🤷🏻‍♂️

🤦🏻‍♂️Give me strength Bob.
    Only commenting on a post from last night hence "allegedly & was it a wind up"
  • What a difference a win makes, and a well-deserved one at that. Chem Campbell, Corey B-T and Alfie May all excelled. It's great to have a proper goalscorer in the team. I think this squad is good enough for top six, and let's hope we get a manager that can get the best out of it. Now we have a couple of weeks to get the new guys and the unfit guys in better shape. Oh, and wasn't Miles good too, when he came on?
  • What was Corey & Pearce's card for?
  • PWR.

Will add more later.

Fleetwood were like us.....didnt take their chances when they were ahead. They should have been 3 up at HT.....and Mays equaliser dragged us back into it. Only 1 winner from then on & we really should have been out of sight before TWELVE mins were added.

Leaburn made a difference & so does a natural goalscorer.
    3 up at half time?! Hit the bar and scored otherwise I can't remember a clear chance 

What a 🤡
    Yeah 3 is a bit OTT but they did have another couple of chances, a cross that flashed across that the striker should have got his head on and a very well worked corner that the guy should have at least got on target instead of blazing over but I suppose you either missed them or forgot them. Easy to do if you have subjective memory.
    So thats....

The goal
    Free kick that hit the bar
    Narrowly missed diving header 
    Well worked corner blazed over

Hmmm......🤔

• Stig said:
    Off_it said:
    mart77 said:
    Fleetwood will be in League 2 next year and although I’m pleased with any win, I found the wild celebrations of some fans at the end, bizarre. The first half was so poor and May’s goal saved the players an almighty blast from the stands. 

In the next two weeks the new manager MUST sort out the defence and pick a team style that the players are comfortable with. The defence looks as unstable as a man on a one legged stool and this has to change. What’s happened to Hector? He looks a shadow of last season. 

The current squad needs fresh voices guiding them I believe, so I hope whoever the new manager is, he brings in a few staff who will ‘fire a few fucks into them’ as my father would say! 

I really like Asiimwe and Anderson but I’m hoping they’ll feature more from the bench going forward and this will aid their development. 

Chem Campbell looks a good prospect and I think if we steady the ship he’ll do well for us. 

Leaburn and May will be quality together I believe  and we may have our best strike partnership in a long time. 🙏

If we can get a new manager in who can steady the defence and sort out our shape and if we can keep Leaburn and May fit and if we can get Fraser and Camara back, whilst two or three of the new lads solidify us then a few wins in a row could change the outlook going forward. 

One thing for sure is that we’ll have to be a lot lot better than we were today to get mid table, let alone top 6 but you never know…

Jeez, when did your father say that?

On second thoughts, perhaps it's best we don't know ....
    What a turn of phrase that is. I shall be looking for an opportunity to use it myself. I hope my first chance doesn't come when I'm at work.

@mart77 I can relate to that saying. The equaliser was so important before HT. The place would have been very poisonous had we not scored.
  • LTKapal said:
    What was Corey & Pearce's card for?
    In my opinion Corey booking was a mistaken identity which should have gone to Anderson. My guess is Pearce mentioned that to the referee and got booked for it. This is all guess work. 
    I was confused by that incident too, as I was sure it was Anderson who committed a pretty bad tackle, yet CBT got booked instead. 
  • If we're counting misses we could have scored 17 and they could have scored 11.

However if we're just counting shots on target we win 4-3.
  • The less said about the first half the better…that was as bad as it gets

much better second half and deserved the win. Great to have Leaburn back and him and May will cause all sorts of problems

CBT was unplayable at times today, every time he got the ball he had 3 men around him

the back 4 as a collective were absolutely shocking, needs sorting out big time. Edun produced once of the worst displays I think I’ve ever seen for us (and he’s had some stiff competition) he certainly had a day to forget and maybe we just put that performance to bed and move on to the next one
  • Sponsored links:

much better second half and deserved the win. Great to have Leaburn back and him and May will cause all sorts of problems

CBT was unplayable at times today, every time he got the ball he had 3 men around him

the back 4 as a collective were absolutely shocking, needs sorting out big time. Edun produced once of the worst displays I think I’ve ever seen for us (and he’s had some stiff competition) he certainly had a day to forget and maybe we just put that performance to bed and move on to the next one
    Edun went missing in the first half - I have no idea what he was doing. Couldn't tackle and seemed to neglect to track back.
  • Funny old game really. Coming hot on the heels of a mystery tour around Thamesmead with the A206 being closed, the first half had the feel of a pre-season friendly with two unprepared teams strolling around in the sunshine, putting on a show that at no point matched its billing as a professional football match. The couple of dozen Fleetwood fans, surely the lowest Jimmy Seed attendance for a while, told the story of how poor a team they are, whilst the first set of boos on 15 minutes told how bad we were. For forty minutes, which can best be described by the word lethargic, Charlton were second best and deserved nothing from the game. May's goal out of the blue surely spared our players an uncomfortable trudge off the pitch at half time. Presumably though there were some finely chosen words from JP at half time because we came roaring out of the traps. The second half was far better and as Fleetwood tired, there only looked to be one winner in it. A far more accomplished performance from everyone saw us to be the much better side. A second May goal and the return or Leaburn really lifting the Spirits. Well done Charlton for a decent second half. The quicker we forget that first half the better. 
  • BTW that's 23 bookings already in 6 games.

We're not a soft touch anymore!

Edun went missing in the first half - I have no idea what he was doing. Couldn't tackle and seemed to neglect to track back.
    And in the second half gave the ball away twice in quick succession, when under no pressure.

There was defensively something seriously wrong for the goal, when Stockley was left being marked by Anderson, a midfielder, with the 2 centre backs standing there marking nobody.
  • seth plum said:
    Horrible experience, poor ref, three points, Leaburn sighted.
    One win down, now win the next six...one at a time.
    Have had better, but hey, a victory having been behind is a rare and wonderful thing!
  • We really need someone to sort this defence out. Fortunately we have Abankwah the Irish Maldini (MacDini?) who is apparently going to solve that little dilemma. Edun was poor today but has looked pretty good otherwise so hopefully just a bad day at the office.

Big things needed from our new boys, T. Watson and Tedic in particular so we can give Asiimwe a break and ease Leaburn back in gently.

Get the manager decision right and we'll be okay going forwards. Get it wrong and our troubles are not over yet...