Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• TeeC said:
    Thought Leaburn was excellent when he came on, especially considering he hasn’t played for almost two months 
    Never in doubt.
  • The first half was terrible to watch. I thought that we came out for the second half fighting (at times, literally!) - so presume JP gave them a rollicking.
  • Absolutely get in!

I love May, Dobbo and CBT, serious serious players. 

First half, shambles, second half, different side & a deserved 3 points. 

Special mention to Anderson! first senior season and he didn't look out of place, kept going the whole game. I saw a lot more from Dobbo today in terms of instructions, he seemed a lot more vocal than usual, come on Dobbo, get nasty & add that extra steel to your game! 

Video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7MxZD3G_0E

Nothing fancy just a few chats as per, got their goal and our winner, slightly missed our first frustratingly.

But yeah can't complain, crucial result and now 2 weeks to find a new manager and get this squad up this poxy league, happy weekend addicks, I am gonna get trollied now 

COME ON YOU REDS! 
    Still got your Wolves mate’s words in your head when Chem gets the ball in those areas. No way were you expecting that inch perfect through ball. ;-)

Great video mate - good to watch one with a winning perspective.
  • All about the result , massive win for us to keep us out of the bottom 4 , what a time to be a Charlton fan 
    Leaburn returning a big + as well .

• Off_it said:

This was the "clear penalty" not given on Campbell. Their player definitely played the ball and the only question is whether he went through Campbell first. Doesn't look like it from this shot.
    Yeah I was right in front of it, never a pen. Didn't stop me shouting at the ref though who was a complete homer and terrible all game.

Enjoyed the guy behind me shouting "bullied as a child were you ref?" 
    It was a tight decision i thought but probably a pen. The defenders left knee is already squashing Chem's right foot into the ground.  The defender got lucky that a combination of his foot and Chem falling on the ball stopped it dead, making it look like a successful tackle.
  • edited September 2023
    Having missed the penalty during the Tunnel problems but seeing the it later on TV, it was a stonewall penalty where a player leaves his leg out and another player knowingly goes over it. You can't leave your leg out like that. 

I only went through with my journey due to meeting friends in the ground. I gave myself a lot of time but didn't get to the game until the 81st minute. My brother was driving to the game too but gave up. I suspect a lot of fans turned back home which may have affected the numbers of those in the ground. That was the worst jam I have been in that I can remember. Added to that the train strike and numbers would definitely have been affected to some degree.
  • edited September 2023
    Woeful first half performance that we got out of jail from by a sublime finish from May just before HT.

Great second half performance where we had them on the back foot for long periods, missed the last 15 mins after the pen went in due to needed to get a train home which was delayed by some moron causing trouble at Woolwich Arsenal.

Thanks RMT you know how to spoil a good day.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    All about the result , massive win for us to keep us out of the bottom 4 , what a time to be a Charlton fan. Leaburn returning a big + as well .

At the start of our resurgence as a major force p'raps???? Alright, maybe not, but a revival of sorts has to start sometime, so it could be now. 40 more league games to go against teams that will be trying even if they are third rate, but we have to compete with them for now because so are we.

I think booing Kirk for having the audacity to be sent on as a sub to do his job was out of order, but did it have a positive impact on how he played do you think?
  • Nice video that @Braziliance. You manage to make the Valley look like an 80k stadium with those angles!
  • edited September 2023
    We won, that’s all we need to say…we won, and well deserved over the course of the game, and should have killed the game off in the second half, and of course a win after going behind, for the first time since February 2022, well done Jason...
    Seems like a lot of pontificating about how bloody Fleetwood should have won going on here, one pen not given, two Alfie goals, first excellent build up and finishing, revel in the three points for once, and more to come, forget about bloody Fleetwood, they were the opposition and lost.. nuff said…UP THE ADDICKS 👍
  • Having missed the penalty during the Tunnel problems but seeing the it later on TV, it was a stonewall penalty where a player leaves his leg out and another player knowingly goes over it. You can't leave your leg out like that. 

I only went through with my journey due to meeting friends in the ground. I gave myself a lot of time but didn't get to the game until the 81st minute. My brother was driving to the game too but gave up. I suspect a lot of fans turned back home which may have affected the numbers of those in the ground. That was the worst jam I have been in that I can remember. Added to that the train strike and numbers would definitely have been affected to some degree.
    Sorry you missed it Muttley. I actually drove up from Canterbury to watch the game, I would normally drive to Rainham ( Kent) and travel in by rail from there but the industrial action is making that journey difficult. Also yesterday the referee added 12 mins to the game, which would have made my catching the 17.05 back impossible. I drive a fully electric vehicle so it's cheap to run but for anyone coming by car it must be a considerable added cost to the price of a match ticket. 
  • By the sound of it, I probably had more fun in the car than I would have had watching the first half.
  • swordfish said:
    All about the result , massive win for us to keep us out of the bottom 4 , what a time to be a Charlton fan. Leaburn returning a big + as well .

At the start of our resurgence as a major force p'raps???? Alright, maybe not, but a revival of sorts has to start sometime, so it could be now. 40 more league games to go against teams that will be trying even if they are third rate, but we have to compete with them for now because so are we.

I think booing Kirk for having the audacity to be sent on as a sub to do his job was out of order, but did it have a positive impact on how he played do you think?
    He made one cross and closed people down. Bare minimum to be expected. Was a perfect cross mind. 
  • I would like to add a well done to Jason Pearce. He had limited options yesterday but was able to get the first 'Golfie' win for quite a while. When you are on a bad run, the most important game is that one where you change the music. It usually isn't a classic but it is where you start.

The other thing I should add is when I 'heard' we had a penalty I was certain it would have been May or CBT who won it. These two players are vital for us at the moment and it would have been a scandal to lose CBT. 
    Limited options? Leaburn on the bench :)
  • edited September 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    swordfish said:

He made one cross and closed people down. Bare minimum to be expected. Was a perfect cross mind. 
    It's an unusual cross for Kirk because he managed to get to the byline, and that's probably peoples frustration with him, he doesn't have the pace to get past a defender to reach the byline and always comes back on his right foot to put it in. Wouldn't mind that happening with Leaburn and Tedic in the box though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Two miracles today

1) I saw a Woolwich Ferry actually moving. Obviously not in service yet.

2) Charlton do a Golfie.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd one.
    Had you eaten mushrooms for lunch?
  • Leaving the ground about 5 35pm Saturday i saw one of our player wearing one of those surgical boots on his left leg. did any one notice one of our players being that badly injured during the match because I do not.
  • Solidgone said:
    Back on board HMS Pisstheleague - choo choo 🤓
    HMS Pisstheleague is a ship not a train. It should go toot toot!
  • Solidgone said:
    Back on board HMS Pisstheleague - choo choo 🤓
    HMS Pisstheleague is a ship not a train. It should go toot toot!
    Surely Parp Parp !! Canters ? 
  • msomerton said:
    Leaving the ground about 5 35pm Saturday i saw one of our player wearing one of those surgical boots on his left leg. did any one notice one of our players being that badly injured during the match because I do not.
    First one I would think of would be Chem. He took a few hits yesterday and seemed to have a bit of a limp after being subbed off.
  • Absolutely awful first 30 mins and lucky not to be 3 down. Our defence and in particular our centre backs are poor. Why was Anderson left to mark Stockley when both CB's were tracking nobody in the centre of the penalty area. Tayo not getting close enough to, I think it was Broom who crossed. You can't stand off as a defender. 

Sublime pass by Chem and quality finish by Alfie drew us level. 

Second half better but we are so open to the counter attack. A win is a win but it just papers over the cracks that we have a very youthful inexperienced squad with a few older pros, such as Hector who is just too casual for my likes. Gives off an air ( body language) of not really giving a fuck which bothered me. 

Think it's going to be bumpy. But I hope I'm wrong. 
    Tayo looks good going forwards but I think someone said before we signed him that defensively not so good. 

Looking forward to seeing how Watson does on the right. But still fear the CB's are our greatest weakness. 
  • Football is a game of two halves. 
    thank the lord we turned up for the second half. That first half was about as bad I have seen for a long time.
  • That was the worst jam I have been in that I can remember. Added to that the train strike and numbers would definitely have been affected to some degree.
    Son and I got the 1442 from London Bridge, arrived at Charlton station at 1459 and took our seat in the CE with 1.02 played. That’s a new option that I’d never have considered were it not for the train strike. And had a very enjoyable journey back to London Bridge with the lovely Nathan M, who was, of course, living the dream. Hopefully he’ll tell the tale of how he geed up the players with a few choice words, just before we got the equaliser,. 👍