Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Fleetwood Town : Saturday 2nd September 2023

Comments

• Shame about Abankwah - was looking forward to seeing him. Seems Louie Watson isn’t in the u21 squad however.
  • A good report.
    No way there were 119 away supporters though.  :)
    I would guess some of them didn’t make it through the tunnel. I reckon there were 6,000-7,000 people in the ground.
    I'd imagine they'd all come down on the one coach. There was no more than 50 odd in there. 
  • TeeC said:
    Who are the three?
    Thomas - Hector - Maynard-Brewer - Abankwah are all on International Duty
    Ah, a foursome that screams 'international pedigree'. 
  • How many pigeons attended yesterday?

I think Sandgaard took them with him
    Yes, they were very conspicuous by their absence. Perhaps they couldn't make it through the tunnel too.😄
    More to the point, are any of them lined up for the manager’s job?
    And if not, why not?
    Heard the name " Methven" and they were gone.
    Heard the name " Methven" and they were gone.
    I'd say very few attended- I arrived later than I normally do and my fav parking spot was empty! Happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• Fleetwood have sacked their manager after Charlton defeat 

You have reached your nadir if you lose to Charlton and Scott Brown with 6 losses on the bounce paid the price. 
  • A good report.
    I would guess some of them didn’t make it through the tunnel. I reckon there were 6,000-7,000 people in the ground.
    You're probably not far wide there; official attendance put at just over 11,00 - but judging by the number of people in the Fans Bar and on the food outlets at half time, we can all take that with a large pinch of salt.
  • addick19 said:
    A good report.
    You're probably not far wide there; official attendance put at just over 11,00 - but judging by the number of people in the Fans Bar and on the food outlets at half time, we can all take that with a large pinch of salt.
    I watched a CODS vlog. The home stands as seen from the Jimmy Seed were no more than a third full and that’s being generous. That means with an away support of about a hundred there couldn’t have Ben more than 8k in the ground. It also sounded like a practice match on the stream. 
  • edited September 2023

The worst 42 minutes of football I have witnessed at the Valley for a while and there are plenty of contenders for that accolade over recent seasons. Lethargic, aimless, shapeless, clueless and hopeless. Not one shot on target versus Fleetwood Town at home before May's goal and they could have scored three. 

One great goal out of the blue and a much better second half.

Much needed win and deserved by the end but let's not deceive ourselves about where we are as a football team .

The Division 3 table does not lie and there are serious flaws with out defensive set up. 
    You really could be my twin. 
    Thanks Dad.
  • edited September 2023
    Another former player returned recently (Mr. Darren Pratley) and was clapped. Stockley is just not popular with the crowd. Sometimes the prevailing opinion on CL doesn't quite align with the one around The Valley. I can understand that in this instance tbh - he was miserable to watch, moaned a lot, and gave up trying in his last season with us. I know many will disagree, but worth remembering just how bad he was before we let him go. 

May, unlike Jayden, is a proper Charlton striker. He's got the quality and he works his socks off. You can tell he really wants to win. Loving him at the moment and that partnership with Leaburn looks very exciting. Miles also looks a bit more aggressive and prepared to use his body than last season. 

Agree with others about Edun, he had a poor game overall, but his defence-splitting pass to CBT was brilliant, and I can't think of a full-back we've had in recent years who could play that kind of ball. He looks like he's got a lot of upside. 

And on CBT - another match-winning moment from him. 

It's nice to have the winning feeling back, but I fear that first-half performance isn't going away and we'll see it again. 
  • edited September 2023
    addick19 said:
    A good report.
    11,000 is the number of season tickets plus tickets sold. (As everybody knows of course - sorry). 
    It’s always a higher number than those attending. 
    Were it not for the rail strike and the traffic chaos the bums on seats number would have been probably 8 or 9 thousand. I think some wanted to support Pearce, so I thought the crowd wouldn’t be too bad. 
    But long term it’s wins that you need to rekindle fans interest. 
  • Wasn't sure how fit he would be or if he was up to it.......but then with almost his very first touch he shielded the ball from his marker, turned & left him for dead (on the touchline in front of the AC stand). That is what we had been missing & such a shame that a non-league defender decided to ruin the first month of our season. 
    I was surprised Holden was not more angry about it at the time. Ultimately, it could have cost him his job. I would certainly consider playing a Charlton team against a Charlton team at this pre-season stage in future rather than expose ourselves to these wallies. I mean we played different teams in each half anyway so no reason they can''t play each other in say 4 x 20 to 25 minute games where different things and combinations could be tried.
  • Wasn't sure how fit he would be or if he was up to it.......but then with almost his very first touch he shielded the ball from his marker, turned & left him for dead (on the touchline in front of the AC stand). That is what we had been missing & such a shame that a non-league defender decided to ruin the first month of our season. 
    I was surprised Holden was not more angry about it at the time. Ultimately, it could have cost him his job. I would certainly consider playing a Charlton team against a Charlton team at this pre-season stage in future rather than expose ourselves to these wallies. I mean we played different teams in each half anyway so no reason they can''t play each other in say 4 x 20 to 25 minute games where different things and combinations could be tried.
    I was surprised Holden did not highlight the challenge. Just called it 'poor'. As usual, fans thought it was a part of a masterpiece in not alerting the league that you're on the lookout for a forward. It should have been called out properly. The fact that it wasn't, the ref did not give a penalty, or a foul means it has gone completely under everybody's radar. I bet the playing will be referring to it "not even being a foul". Grrrrh, time to move on I suppose.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is less important the ref didn't give a penalty although a bit worrying that we had a ref of that standard officiating the game. What happened was Leaburn mugged the defender off with a bit of skill and he did him either out of pride induced malice or desperation. It has been very damaging to us this season but we could have done something about it earlier. That wasn't Holden's fault.

I recall saying before we lost these games that we had created a weakness that we may or may not get away with and Fraser and Camara getting injured and a key defender like Hector not being right compounded that. With luck, good officiating etc... we could have got more out of some of those games as indeed with fewer stupid errors if you want to argue the other side of things. 
  • Strongly suspect we would have won that with Dean in charge, or would have been just as likely to. The manager change is needless disruption, we will start winning more now as we settle down and have new players and players back, but we would have done with Dean as well. Completely pointless IMO
  • It was so good to see Leaburn back. He has more to his game than his Dad except for prowess in the air. Seeing as he’s taller than Carl, that should be easy to rectify. 
  • I won £40 on Stockley getting the first goal so every cloud.

• I won £40 on Stockley getting the first goal so every cloud.

Didn’t someone post their bet before the match. Stockley to score any time, and 2-1 Charlton?
  • JamesSeed said:
    I won £40 on Stockley getting the first goal so every cloud.

Didn’t someone post their bet before the match. Stockley to score any time, and 2-1 Charlton?
    Probably Jayden.
  • @CroydonI've got Charlton win, both teams to score and Stockley anytime’

Congrats!
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    addick19 said:
    A good report.
    11,000 is the number of season tickets plus tickets sold. (As everybody knows of course - sorry). 
    It’s always a higher number than those attending. 
    Were it not for the rail strike and the traffic chaos the bums on seats number would have been probably 8 or 9 thousand. I think some wanted to support Pearce, so I thought the crowd wouldn’t be too bad. 
    But long term it’s wins that you need to rekindle fans interest. 
    Sold in that number also equals given away, which is a significant difference. I highly doubt the club “sold” 3,000 match tickets for Fleetwood. 

I doubt if there were 9,000 home fans for either Brizzle or Port Vale, so after five straight defeats it’s unlikely there would have been more than 7,500 for this fixture even without the transport issues. 

It is pretty extraordinary that there were 13,000 home fans for Orient, followed by these three turnouts. And the weather was a positive on Saturday.
  • JamesSeed said:
    @Croydon ‘I've got Charlton win, both teams to score and Stockley anytime’

Congrats!
    Surely the 'both teams to score' bit isn't needed if you have the other 2? 
  • Jonniesta said:
    JamesSeed said:
    @Croydon ‘I've got Charlton win, both teams to score and Stockley anytime’

Congrats!
    Surely the 'both teams to score' bit isn't needed if you have the other 2? 
    It made the odds longer on the bet builder, only slightly. Also had Charlton to score second half