Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Oxford United vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 26th August 2023: KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Charlton are a forgotten team in the division, for all their historical status, nobody talks about them either challenging for promotion or going down

From an Oxford Blog.

Fair assessment?
    I would say that's a very fair assesment, no one takes us seriously and we roll over to most sides. 

I haven't done my usual vlog yet I'll work on it soon but it's gonna be the worst one yet in terms of fan engagement.. as there is 0. Every Charlton fan I asked to speak with said no, I don't blame them either, they all said they're f'd off. 

I think what was more depressing though, was how soulless the aftermath was. I am not joking, I approached around 8 different Oxford fans and not one of them supported Oxford, all said it's just their non premier league team and go for the sake of it. Really nice people but there was just something really depressing about losing to a team where the people who were outside the ground were not too bothered about the result, without trying to sound bitter. Once all the fans dispersed I walked around the ground getting shots of the ground etc and it was just absolutely soulless, no character in the area, just a tin pot ground in a retail park. I can't believe those are the kind of grounds we can't get a result at. 

No disrespect to the actual Oxford United fans, they follow their team well and make some noise. I wish we had most of their squad, in particular their 18 who was outstanding. They'll be up there

It does feel a little knee jerk but I can't help but think this can't be turned around with the current personnel, we need about 7 players maybe on reflection and maybe even a new manager. 

Interesting to see you mentioned their 18 Marcus McGuane , ex Arsenal youth team player that got a big move to Barcelona that didn't really work out and then has had a fairly solid EFL career with Oxford. 
    I thought he was the best player on the pitch comfortably. His scanning was next level, very aware of his surroundings, always ready to collect the ball, was out muscling our midfielders - only Dobbo was able to keep up at times, kept the play ticking. Without a doubt the best player I've seen on an opposing team so far and one I'm gonna keep an eye on as he goes on. 

Why we can't end up with a player like that is beyond me, just checked and of course he's from Greenwich, typical 
    Totally agree with this!
    I think signing Terry Taylor is meant to be our player like that. We’ve picked him up 2.5 years younger, is already considered technically better which if proven correct will have been a brilliant bit of business. 
    But he needs to play, get him up to speed and then get a run in the side! I can’t believe he didn’t get any minutes yesterday. 
  • Options
    3 league defeats on the spin, in div 3, 4 on the spin if you include Newport. I can’t remember us being so utterly lost. I struggle to except that our club is now where it is, it’s never been this bad in my lifetime, as far as I’m aware. 
    If you want to challenge for a top 6 finish you need players capable of playing at that level and higher. I beginning to think that our new regime is not quite up to speed on what is needed. 

4, 5 if you include Newport.....but agreed, this feels like a new low, in a decade and a half littered with them, that's some going
    It is...you can accept paying rent like we did at Selhurst Park... but renting out our home (that gets added to RDs debt?). It is the lowest low ever.... our natural competitors in top division.... just think - what do we own? 
    The rent has to be paid. There’s no evidence it is accumulating as debt owed to RD.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    supaclive said:
    Sadly
    It looks like nobody, from top to bottom, knows what they are doing or how to fix it

We were warned about Methven...a talentless person in a team who take their cut in advance...I won’t pay a penny to attend a game or buy merchandise until its it friendly ownership
    Exactkly what I have decided.

Needs a mass exodus to flush out how serious these new owners are.

Otherwise, they will extract every last penny of value out of the club before they either take it into administration, or find another mug to buy it. Don't forget that Roland looms large over this because he owns the Valley and Sparrows.

The football club is worth zero without the supporters and we already know that Gobby Methven is only in this for what he is able to screw out of the club. 

The owners need to invest as we are now worse than under Roly 

What value is there in the club at the moment given they have spent £12 million buying it. None.
  • Options
    The first half was one of the worst I have seen from a Charlton side and I wonder why, OK DH is not the best manager in the world but that set of players just didn't work, so why did he do it.
    Could it be that he was told to play the youth or he was making a point about the lack of support he thinks he is receiving.
    While it is pleasing to see our youngster come through it is not fair to subject them to this type of experience as they will just loose any confidence that they have.
    If DH continues with a similar team next Saturday all Fleetwood have to do is bully our youngsters and then they will have mid field control.
  • Options
    Clueless 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's so aggravating how for the past X amount of season we are playing catch up from the get go. We start youth teamers like Clayden/Asiimwe because we haven't signed first teamers, and then when we do make the signings, they join unfit, so they're weeks/months away from getting up to speed, then our others signings are also unfit, so they're not able to make an impact. And while the rest of the league are picking up important points that will really count at the end of the season, we're left hoping we can go on a 'run' in a few months. 

Every team we play seems to have their shit together. Even the ones with half the budget. Even the teams with awful players seem to have a semblance of coherence to them. 

I saw a stat the other day that Wycombe's players have on average been at the club for 2 years. That's a well oiled machine. By comparison, we're a Macauley Bonne car crash, skidding off the road because we've got idiots behind the wheel. 

Every bloody season. 
    But when posters try saying that on here in early July we get shouted down with....."be patient" and  "the transfer window doesn't shut until Sept 1st" and " would you really want the players that Pompey or Barnsley have signed". So we try to remain silent knowing that this season is going to follow the last. 

I was at least lifted last month when we signed May & Camara, but then the signings stopped and normality resumed.  

I have my ticket for Fleetwood but after that  ??  

After that, it’s Wigan away…
  • Options
    I can only echo everyone's thoughts about our performance yesterday. 
    The only thing I would add is that, if I were the only defender left back at any time during a game, I would be screaming at the nearest person to come back and support me.
    It doesn't need training to give me that thought it's just logical and obvious.
    Still, I am having a lovely Sunday wandering around Oxford so it's not all bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Sadly
    It looks like nobody, from top to bottom, knows what they are doing or how to fix it

We were warned about Methven...a talentless person in a team who take their cut in advance...I won’t pay a penny to attend a game or buy merchandise until its it friendly ownership
    You'll be waiting a rather long time in that case. Football is fucked.
    Gobby Methven is absent and silent - keeping his head down and working out how to scapegoat Holden.

I think Methven’s quote about getting the operating loss to £1m-£2m and making a profit on player trading is all anyone needs to know.
    So back to getting the club back into friendly hands Rick? How as it is downward spiral......
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    vff said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Blucher said:
    From the Oxbogger:

”….Charlton are a forgotten team in the division, for all their historical status, nobody talks about them either challenging for promotion or going down. Knowing quite what you’re going to get is hard.”

Unfortunately, the team’s current form means we know exactly what to expect. If we keep shipping goals, we will soon become a topic of conversation.

I have little confidence that the squad will be significantly improved in the next week. The owners are probably looking at matching incomings with outgoings, which is probably not going to happen. They are understandably keen to move some players on (as we all are) but I suspect that McGrandles - who might be capable of contributing - is the only one who is likely to attract other clubs. Even if we manage to shift Kirk and DJ out on loan, we’ll have to pay the vast bulk of their wages (especially Kirk’s) and it won’t make much of a dent in the monthly outgoings.

We’re also a very unattractive prospect at present, both for individual players and for clubs looking to loan out peripheral members of their squads. The question mark over Holden’s future after five consecutive defeats is hardly going to help either.

No doubt Scott, Rodwell and Holden will be busy this week rehearsing their excuses for Charlton TV and the local press.

This.

We have seen already with the departure of Egbo that the SMT are not adverse in letting players go when we don't have a suitable replacement. 

I'm not expecting any big movements in or out this week & most likely Friday evening we'll get shot of 1 or 2 players (probably on loan) and then replaced by similar. This deck chair arranging wont achieve much & thus we will be left floundering once again to put a decent run together. 

Top 2 already gone & play offs are slowly disappearing over the horizon. Only thing we'll have to look forward to is the FA cup 1st round draw and avoiding relegation. 
    The owners are chancers - a gamble that they will not worry about losing a few million on.

Gobby Methven and his merry band of leeches will suck out all they can until we are bust again.

You are right that they will cut costs/sell players to reduce losses.   If fans stay away, that will accelerate the next crunch time that is coming, probably around Xmas.

Even if we start winning a few, the underlying fundamentals are shit. Even if we loan a few, it will make little real difference. The last 5 games show how far we have fallen - the players cant do what is required and the manager is out of ideas. OK, a few will come back after injury, but these are all average L1 players.

In my eyes, the owners behaviours since their purchase underline how fucking useless they are and the lack of communication means that they are letting Holden dig the hole they will throw him into.

This
    Meaning?

This (see Big Diddy's previous comment)  (is a good post that sums things up well......It places responsiblity onto Methven / new owners for the shite situation Charlton are in and the apparent willingness for criticism to deflect onto Holden). 
    Holden is not blameless for tactics / set up / ingame management but sacking Holden doesn't change the fundamentally shit situation and substandard recrutiment and general poor strategy of Methven's Senior Management Team / new ownership. A new manager (one prepared to take on such a flawed from the outset strategy & poor squad) is not necessarily going to change the overall direction of travel, which is a relegation scrap.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Sadly

Gobby Methven is absent and silent - keeping his head down and working out how to scapegoat Holden.

I think Methven’s quote about getting the operating loss to £1m-£2m and making a profit on player trading is all anyone needs to know.
    TS was losing about £7m a year, so CM is looking to shave about £5m off that. As you say, player sales is the plan to balance the books. After Leaburn and Dobson, who is left to sell? Unproven kids? They will have to ship out higher earners, but that will take time as well

But I bet overheads and expenses will be maxxed out! My expectation is that attendances will fall and losses will widen. As I suggested elsewhere, I think a crunch will occur around Xmas, so that will give them the excuse to sell Dobbo and Leaburn

They will run out of financial bandwidth to keep selling players and that is probably why our team is full of kids and why the transfer window is underwhelming.

Do you think these new owners will stay the course?

• Options
    Just need to find an experienced CH who is as quick as  a 21 year old 🙄.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Leuth said:
    supaclive said:
    Sadly

TS was losing about £7m a year, so CM is looking to shave about £5m off that. As you say, player sales is the plan to balance the books. After Leaburn and Dobson, who is left to sell? Unproven kids? They will have to ship out higher earners, but that will take time as well

But I bet overheads and expenses will be maxxed out! My expectation is that attendances will fall and losses will widen. As I suggested elsewhere, I think a crunch will occur around Xmas, so that will give them the excuse to sell Dobbo and Leaburn

They will run out of financial bandwidth to keep selling players and that is probably why our team is full of kids and why the transfer window is underwhelming.

Do you think these new owners will stay the course?

The operating loss from the men’s team was £10.1m in 21/22, on turnover of £9.7m, so that’s the starting point in L1. Even assuming Methven is talking about the Championship - with substantially greater central income and playing side costs - we have to get there before that even comes into play, and as we can all now agree we are nowhere near that with the current set-up. The question is what financial appetite anyone involved has to address that.
  • Options
    Just plucked up the courage to watch the highlights,both goals pathetic.How did they get to our box unchallenged for the first and then allow the guy a free shot(happened a lot last year)Second goal was worse,totally outnumbered at the back,the only player busting a gut to get back was as usual Dobson.Why were our central defenders attacking,none of them can head a ball,so they wernt going to score.
  • Options
    Even when Alfie May scored his goal yesterday, given our track record at Oxford previously, I was thinking what minute are Oxford going to score the winner!

I thought first 5 minutes of the match we were dominant, and looking good for a point.

Everyones entitled to their opinions, but you know there’s something wrong when the players are getting booed at the end of the match by a section of fans after what, 5 matches?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Having calmed down a bit now, and reflected a bit more and I still think Holden has a lot to answer for, he is a good guy and I like him, he looks like he is a good man manager, but on the pitch stuff, he isn’t good enough, selecting wrong personnel, formations, style of play just isn’t good enough. 

We do need more players in, we all know that as do the owners, but we still have enough players of good quality to be doing better 
    They may know it, but have no done no where near enough about it, so 5 games gone, 12 points that can not be regained. 
    So true. Those points are gone and can anyone see us making those points up. Not a chance not with this Charlton team. 5 games in and I’m so down in the dumps. Here’s to another crap season. 
  • Options
    So, Holden has gone
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    So, Holden has gone
    What makes you come to that conclusion?
  • Options
    So just watching back the extended highlights... Didn't realise they had our old James Beadle in goal. 

Also what was that defending for their first? Deji steps up their striker steps past him - no issue there but three more defenders, both Ness and Asiimwe go for the same man, letting their striker have space to shoot. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So just watching back the extended highlights... Didn't realise they had our old James Beadle in goal. 

Also what was that defending for their first? Deji steps up their striker steps past him - no issue there but three more defenders, both Ness and Asiimwe go for the same man, letting their striker have space to shoot. 

Deji body position was awful, he was front on! The reason he was beat so easily, and unable to turn. One of the first things you learn in school boy football!