Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bristol Rovers : Tuesday 15th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    Really fuming, which Is unusual for me!

I just can't quite believe what I'm seeing.
    All horrendous sides of our game are back with a vengeance.
    No cutting edge. Too many inexperienced or poor players on show..
    Orient hid a lot of the problems. They haven't won a game!
    We have zero resilience again and look so far away from a promotion push it's unreal.
    Still at least 5 short if you ask me
    Have to agree
  • Options
    gutting to lose that but not gonna make ott comments, it’s obvious what & where players are needed, so clinging to the hope holden & management  are going to get things done that’s needed before the window shuts. 
  • Options
    Alfie May 5'8''(or 9") against two 6'3" defenders - Holden you're having a laugh!
    It was a joke but I don't think all the long and high balls were part of the game plan. We have inferior, dumb players who when in doubt hit it long. Their number 17 was about a foot taller than May. 

Our defence needs to look at themselves too for switching off for both goals. 
  • Options
    Still believe we have the makings of a good team and that makes the result even more gutting.

I liked what I saw from Jones, Ness, Edun, Dobson, Camara and Blackett-Taylor.

I pray Alfie May looks better once Leaburn is back.

Asiimwe and Anderson need the opportunity to sit out a couple of games when they need it.

Not convinced by AMB still at times, perhaps should’ve done better with the near post shot that won the game.

The less said about Jack Payne the better.
    Overall, as a team, we are nowhere near good enough.

Mid table, at best 
  • Options
    We now have to win the next four in a row to be back on track.
  • Options
    Ness it not good enough end of
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Has Dean left in a laundry basket? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I hope the owners don’t pull the trigger on Holden. As they’re saying on CTV this is a mess of a club. Needs time to turn the tanker around 
    But it’s been so arduous supporting this club for the last decade  
    Too early for that, was them who appointed the dude.  So if they did bullet him I wonder what clown they would bring in next.
    However, although very early, IF we did have a poor first 15 games it would be interesting what Charlie and gang do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    New Dealer, New Deck, Same Jockers.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Alfie May 5'8''(or 9") against two 6'3" defenders - Holden you're having a laugh!
    It was a joke but I don't think all the long and high balls were part of the game plan. We have inferior, dumb players who when in doubt hit it long. Their number 17 was about a foot taller than May. 

Our defence needs to look at themselves too for switching off for both goals. 
    Hitting it long is  good. Otherwise they pass it across the back 4 until they loose it only 15 to 20 yards out.
    One of the many weakness of the back3 or 4.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    We looked decent going forwards down both flanks. Blackett-Taylor and Edun (who is a great acquisition by the way) have struck up a good relationship.
    Dobson was immense first half. Comparing his performance to Payne is painful. That’s not to say that Payne doesn’t try- he probably tries too hard at times, it’s just he lacks the quality and physicality to be anything more than a bystander. 
    I think Anderson is a decent prospect but maybe a little naive and telegraphs some of his thoughts. Asiimwe is a good defender and needs to improve his attacking play. Both are improving every game.
    I expected more from Camara but felt he grew into the game. Same with May who had some decent half chances and one excellent chance that he should be burying.
    Central defence is a worry. For a fifteen minute period after their first goal we had huge gaps. AMB made some great saves but then an error for their winner.
    So frustrating. It looks like a threadbare squad is going to be tested again unless there are some quality addition.
    As an aside, Charlie Kirk spent the whole of the half time ‘warm up’ pissing around acting the clown. He shouldn’t be in the squad again as I don’t think he gives a toss.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers get a free kick outside box after a stupid foul by Payne - great delivery on target AMB saves and they score off rebound.

We get a free kick outside box after May is fouled when through and May launches the free kick into row Z.
  • Options
    Although there are some green shoots of optimism, it is a case new owners same story. Ok the takeover too ages , but whatever here we are at the start of the season again not ready and giving everyone else an head start
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I don't think it is panic stations time. Good and bad tonight and you can pick out points here and there but ultimately this result is a risk when your goal threat isn't what it should be. A lot of us understood it before he game. Kanu did well I thought and probably enough to start on Saturday. Ref should have sent their player off as May would have gone on to have a shot on goal but hey ho.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    cazo said:
    Ness had a storming game until the 98th minute and that was arguably not even on him. Can't believe some of the crap I'm reading 
    Bristol fucking rovers 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Rough notes from Holden post-match.

Not good enough defensively tonight.

Tough one to take, started well and solid.

We had a wobble for 10 mins at 1-0.

Changed the shape and delighted get back in the game and only one team was trying to win the game. 

Some naivety from us around the box. Need to be more focused defensively. 

We’ve got to be more clinical in the box.

All supporters were excellent and helped drive the team. 

Great finish from Daniel. 

Disappointing situation with the May last man incident. 

Trying to get players up to speed (in terms of fitness). 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rovers could easily have scored four tonight. We were lucky to not be at least three nil down by the time we got the equaliser. We may be lacking a strike partner for May but what about our defense... Once again we're playing at home and looking like we'll ship goals for fun. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Same old, don’t create enough, can’t defend.

Different players/manager same outcome, lower middle 3rd tier players with a couple of exceptions.

Payne is just dog shit at this level, Kanu improved the team, the other subs Made it worse

Has Alfie been Charltonised, not surprising if so he has no real support.

Know it won’t be popular but Holden appears not to have a clue imho.

Oh and another diabolical ref, how was that not a sending off.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    cazo said:
    Leuth said:
    cazo said:
    Ness had a storming game until the 98th minute and that was arguably not even on him. Can't believe some of the crap I'm reading 
    With fans like these, maybe we deserve to be rotting in League One 
    Fed up watching this shit holdenjust said defence was bad tonight
  • Options
    Got what we deserved Jack sh#t 
    Never took our chances defence all over the place we just ball watched for their winner 
    When will Holden get it into them how to mark & fight for every ball 
    Or more like it when will someone get it into Holden how to work on it been going on far to long
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Rovers could easily have scored four tonight. We were lucky to not be at least three nil down by the time we got the equaliser. We may be lacking a strike partner for May but what about our defense... Once again we're playing at home and looking like we'll ship goals for fun. 
    We should have been winning at half time though, all their best chances were in a spell after their goal when the heads went a bit 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    cazo said:
    Leuth said:
    cazo said:
    What's the name of the club got to do with the defeat?

Too good to lose to these teams are we... Maybe the players need to drop a similar mindset, and start realising we're not too good for this Division - Maybe then they'll remember to stay switched on for 90mins as any team regardless of their "name" can hurt you
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Leuth said:
    cazo said:
    What's the name of the club got to do with the defeat?

Too good to lose to these teams are we... Maybe the players need to drop a similar mindset, and start realising we're not too good for this Division - Maybe then they'll remember to stay switched on for 90mins as any team regardless of their "name" can hurt you
    We should be
  • Options
    Inexperience 1-2 experience 
  • Options
    Think we will be fine once we get a couple of loanee strikers from Chelsea and Leaburn back we will be banging them in for fun.Also if worst comes to worst we can always get Aidean McGeady back to assure us of promotion.