Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bristol Rovers : Tuesday 15th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I hope the owners don’t pull the trigger on Holden. As they’re saying on CTV this is a mess of a club. Needs time to turn the tanker around 
    But it’s been so arduous supporting this club for the last decade  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Curbs says no fast fix and it’s going to take time
    I think the time to “fix” it is the transfer window. We haven’t so far, and I’m not convinced that we will. 
    Writing off all the summer signings already?
    No, but alone they aren’t enough. 
    Agree with that but saying we haven’t fixed the problems so far is a bit harsh on players like Edun and Camara who have done a lot of good.
  • Options
    So depressing! We urgently need a striker, midfielder and defender or else mid table mediocrity 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Ness is crazy overrated for me, lost his man for the winner, criminal, certainly ain't good enough for a play-off chasing side 
    Asiimwe was out of position leaving Ness having to mark two players.
    He was but that’s Holden’s fault. Dean chooses to play 352 & tells Asiimwe & Edun to  play high up the pitch. We will get caught out a lot at the far post as a result (as it’s impossible for them to always get back).
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    We still concede goals for fun in added time for HT and FT. It's what has lost us points in the last two league games.

That 'real buzz' at the Valley might not last long, if the team keeps this up.
  • Options
    Alfie May 5'8''(or 9") against two 6'3" defenders - Holden you're having a laugh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Holden wants to play with 2 up top, so he should play with 2 up f***ing top. Kanu and May, bizzare why it hasn’t been that in the starting line up 
    Because its the repeat of last season...

We have two fit Strikers, I imagine he's trying to keep one back in reserve so that we dont lose both, and end up with none.

The answer is, we go and sign someone else... But that isnt happening at the moment, so we deal with what we've got.
  • Options
    Unlucky with the May attempt that hit the post, but suicidal defending by Ness at the end. We lack toughness through the squad and our team is not good enough to even think of promotion.

These defeats will deplete morale, so we need to start winning soon.

Big and long rebuild job and I hope the owners put in the cash.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Curbs says no fast fix and it’s going to take time
    I think the time to “fix” it is the transfer window. We haven’t so far, and I’m not convinced that we will. 
    Writing off all the summer signings already?
    No, but alone they aren’t enough. 
    Agree with that but saying we haven’t fixed the problems so far is a bit harsh on players like Edun and Camara who have done a lot of good.
    Right, but a problem is either fixed or it isn’t, and those players alone (plus the other recruits) are not enough to turn us into promotion challengers. We still have two weeks of the window, but I’m not convinced that we’ll bring in the additions we need. 
  • Options
    In some ways we were unlucky today, in others we were kind of lucky but either way you don’t get promoted by losing even games at home to Bristol Rovers. We’re not a convincing play off team. We’re pretty average with a few promising players and a lot of worrying defending.

in defence we really lack an aerial presence. I worry every time we are defending a corner and never feel like we’ll threaten with offensive set pieces. For all his faults, Innis did provide presence in both boxes at set pieces. I’m not sure our centre backs have enough pace either. The shining light was a superb performance from Edun who deserved to be on the winning team. Asimwe has promise but he’s a work in progress.

I like Camara and Anderson who I feel in time will turn into a superb player. They both struggle to get the ball out of their feet to shoot and need extra space to get a shot off because of their slightly gangly and awkward style. They need some work in training on how to get shots away quickly, accurately and with less back-lift because they’re often in great positions but closed down before getting a shot off, which forces them into a sideways pass.

Things will come good for May but it’s clear he’s struggling to make an impact as a lone striker. I feel for him at the moment but he looked a threat alongside Kanu. Loved the instinctive natural goalscorer finish from Kanu. He’s crazily been written off by some already but with time he’ll come good as a regular scorer. Good off the ball today as well.

With some useful additions before close of the window we can challenge for sixth maybe but otherwise the best we can hope for is that the young kids continue to develop. Whether we hold onto them if they continue their progress is another matter entirely. 
  • Options
    I hope that @LouisMend seeks out “billionaire spokesman” Charlie for comment, I thought he was supposed to be the mouthpiece of this shitshow
  • Options
    Holden wants to play with 2 up top, so he should play with 2 up f***ing top. Kanu and May, bizzare why it hasn’t been that in the starting line up 
    Because its the repeat of last season...

We have two fit Strikers, I imagine he's trying to keep one back in reserve so that we dont lose both, and end up with none.

The answer is, we go and sign someone else... But that isnt happening at the moment, so we deal with what we've got.
    I’d risk it tbh though, 1 gets injured and we play the formation we already are. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The 10/15 mins after we went 1-0 down were absolutely pathetic. Could and should’ve been 3 or 4. No idea why May smacked it so hard when he hit the post
    Trying too hard maybe? You can see how desperate he is to score. Hopefully gets some composure when the first one goes in. 
  • Options
    Obvious to say but hamstrung by lack of another striker. May is desperate to score - don't think he needed to hit that late chance so hard. Promising signs going forward and if I squint hard I can see a reasonable team coming together, but my god we are vulnerable defensively at the drop of a hat 
  • Options
    The 10/15 mins after we went 1-0 down were absolutely pathetic. Could and should’ve been 3 or 4. No idea why May smacked it so hard when he hit the post
    Yeah mental fragility is a continual problem with this team, alongside our set pieces.
  • Options
    the worrying part about it all is the fact Holden has absolutely no idea what his best formation is that suits the players we have.
     There seemed to be no pattern In the way we play  apart from smashing the ball to cbt and hope he creates something 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Absolutely gutting. 

Thought we looked very good for quite a lot of the game. Feel sorry for Payne because he’s a trier, but he’s just not good enough at this level. The defence were solid enough I thought. Great sliding clearance off the line by Ness in the second half  

Dobbo, and Edun were my standouts. Tayo is some player. I was hoping for more from Camara. 

I just can’t believe we lost that, but fair play to them for giving it a go into injury time. 

After they scored the first I thought the crowd were excellent, because we’d played well up to that point. It wasn’t really a surprise when we equalised, a nice strike by Kanu. Earlier a goal bound shot had been blocked from a corner, not long after Payne had blocked a shot from (I think) Cory. Sometimes luck just doesn’t go your way.

If only Alfie had buried that late chance rather than hitting the inside of the post. Fine margins affecting the early momentum of the season. 

I can believe we lost it - we have done that dozens of times over the last few years.

No toughness across the squad - lightweight and naive in our defending.

Any good points are drowned out by the shit defending and predictable last minute defeat.

Typical Charlton.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Average side in this shit, League goalkeeper, Ness, payne kirk all crap get rid asap and dj
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Scoham said:
    IR94 said:
    Ness is crazy overrated for me, lost his man for the winner, criminal, certainly ain't good enough for a play-off chasing side 
    Asiimwe was out of position leaving Ness having to mark two players.
    He was but that’s Holden’s fault. Dean chooses to play 352 & tells Asiimwe & Edun to  play high up the pitch. We will get caught out a lot at the far post as a result (as it’s impossible for them to always get back).
    We didn’t play 352 tonight though.
    Looked like we changed to 352 when Kanu came on for Payne (I.e it was 352 at the time of the goal). Asiimwe was almost playing like a winger after Payne came off (& we seemed to have Ness, Hector & Thomas as the 3 at the back at that point) with CBT the wing back on the left.