Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bristol Rovers : Tuesday 15th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Why did we get rid of Wollacott? Still think he’s better than both AMB and Isted
    Isted needs to be in goal on Saturday .. after two mistakes tonight AMB should be dropped 
  • Options
    Does anyone have Swindon’s number?
  • Options
    Talal said:
    The 10/15 mins after we went 1-0 down were absolutely pathetic. Could and should’ve been 3 or 4. No idea why May smacked it so hard when he hit the post
    Trying too hard maybe? You can see how desperate he is to score. Hopefully gets some composure when the first one goes in. 
    I’m fed up with sponge foot shooting. I’m glad he gave it some. He’s the 42 goal striker, we’re not. 
  • Options
    Lurker said:
    Christ this club piss me off.

How do we concede so many chances? You’d forgive it if we were gung ho at the other end and we were having a gamble on outscoring the opposition. 

How many chances did Bristol have? Marquis in first half where we were carved open like a kebab outside The Venue, the two goals they scored, Sinclair’s lob, shots blocked on the line.

Bristol would have been out of sight if they’d put away half of their clear cut chances like we did. 

Are our attacking players so bad that we need to throw too many forward to try and bumble our way to a chance? Is it a fitness thing with players not being to get back in position?

Rovers we're not in the game AMB was a by -stander first half ,only when we went 442 they started hitting long balls and breaking quickly .. which caused us a couple of problems 
    They had 3 or 4 clear cut chances before we had one which Kanu scored. 
  • Options
    Only people to point the finger at are The Owners and the back room staff that the owners have put in place.

Charlton not ready for start of season,can someone tell them we are 10days into season already.

By the back room staff I assume you mean methvens mates ? Same old shit
  • Options
    Kanu is 18, if we were doing it properly we shouldn’t really be seeing him feature for another 12-18 months. It worked tonight but a kid who is clearly raw shouldn’t be being into a pressurised situation with such expectations 
    He’ll be starting on Saturday after he scored tonight! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:
    The 10/15 mins after we went 1-0 down were absolutely pathetic. Could and should’ve been 3 or 4. No idea why May smacked it so hard when he hit the post
    Trying too hard maybe? You can see how desperate he is to score. Hopefully gets some composure when the first one goes in. 
    I’m fed up with sponge foot shooting. I’m glad he gave it some. He’s the 42 goal striker, we’re not. 
    I didn't realise side footing the ball was considered sponge footing. Thierry Henry not as good as I thought. 
  • Options
    A draw would have been a fair result. Alfie should have scored rather than hit the post and it was a certain red. Asimwe and Anderson should not be starting every game and neither should Payne. Edun and Dobbo both really good. Fitness is clearly an issue; you shouldn’t have to take off a centre half but Jones has only lasted about 70 minutes in every match so far. 4/5 signings needed as others have posted. Really pissed off!
  • Options

So let's be aving you, whoever fucking owns us now!

• Options
    Losing to a last minute goal and selling last season's first choice RB just before kick off. It's not feeling any more progressive or professional.  
  • Options
    We are 3 of 4 good (and by that I mean first XI starters) away from being a side that will challenge in the top 6

thought the full back did well, Dobbo was everywhere, I like Camara (willing to hold the ball and run with it) CBT is very dangerous (if he had a final ball he’d be nowhere near league 1) and May did everything but score, feel for the lad - he desperately needs a partner (Leaburn)….massive couple of weeks until the window shuts 
    Dream on…Top 6?
  • Options
    Our defence is giving me nightmares,I dont think we cleared one corner or free kick,every time they attacked ,I feared the worst.I have said it before,we should have kept Innis for his aerial presence in both boxes.
    Dobbo was again outstanding,our young lads did ok but they were up against seasoned pros who know this division inside out,and it will be the same every week.
    Didnt have a clear view of the first goal,but shouldnt Brewer have pushed the free kick round the post rather than put it back into play.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Simonsen said:
    Blaming Hess for the last goal is bloody harsh.

Agree. First Nuremburg, then he gets the  blame for the Rovers winner tonight. Talk about scapegoat.....

:D
    Fat finger or Glenfiddich or both.
    Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our stand out player again was CBT. We have not had a decent winger for years but last season when fit and so far this season he has been outstanding. Barely gets a mention on this thread. Weird. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Agree. First Nuremburg, then he gets the  blame for the Rovers winner tonight. Talk about scapegoat…..
    Ness was shit though !
  • Options
    The Payne criticism is sometimes over the top but most is spot on. He's a trier and he never hides but at the moment he is 'filling in'. We can all see that he isn't a forward that will hold the ball up or be a threat in front of goal but at the moment it's him or Kirk and hopefully by the 1st of September it will be neither.   
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Simonsen said:

Agree. First Nuremburg, then he gets the  blame for the Rovers winner tonight. Talk about scapegoat…..
    Ness was shit though !
    Sure he makes mistakes, he’s young FFS, but the deficiencies of others going AWOL, as for their winner, means he’s often the defender nearest trying to cover and wrongly appearing to be the culprit. 
    He’s 1st defender on the team sheet for me.
  • Options
    Terry Taylor is still struggling to get up speed. A mediocre 45 against Newport a week ago, and he wasn't an improvement over Anderson when he came on today either.

Yes we obviously want to get shot of him, but slightly confusing why McGrandles has yet to come off the bench in any of the league games so far. 
  • Options
    Think some of the criticism of Ness is harsh. Had a great game, cleared one off the line. Think people forget he's less than 30 league games under his belt. Hector and Thomas are not significantly better.

Edun I thought was excellent, at last a proper left back. Dobbo is too good for League One. Jones I thought was solid and a definite upgrade on what has gone before. Camara showed some nice touches, drove forward with the ball, should have shot first half after a mazy run, however does give the ball away a lot. CBT did well, tried to make things happen, bit unlucky a couple of efforts were blocked. May I thought was unlucky with the one that hit the post but from behind the goal I may have thought different.

Asiimwe and Anderson played well but tired after about 70 mins. Both are going to be good players but we can't rely on them week in week out, they are young and will be inconsistent but some definitely be in the matchday squad. Kanu made a difference and made life easier for May. Must start in a two on Saturday.

We are currently hamstrung by the lack of a partner for May. We need to sign two stickers and with Leaburn returning we'd then be ok. Kanu can then go on loan.

All in all a number of positives but even with another three/four signings I still think we will fall short unless they are of real quality and I can't see that happening.

If any team deserved to win then Rovers did. After their first we were lucky not to concede another couple. A defeat was harsh though, Saturday now a must win but they got a decent point away at Blackpool tonight so it won't be easy.
    Agree with all of that. 👍