Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bristol Rovers : Tuesday 15th August 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Great goal by Kanu. May very unlucky, but he really needs to start scoring.
    Defense a worry, their positional sense is not good for the 2nd goal, and they should have got tighter. No one tracked the run so they had 2 over on the left.
    Basic stuff.

Need to help AMB out for deflected saves. Someone should be running in ahead to clear any spills or make a block.

Have the rich owners any fivers down the back of their Lazyboy sofas? We could do with spending some more money FFS
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    For those watching Charlton TV , should that have been a red? What does Curbs think?
    He was definitely last man

There were two or three Rovers players directly behind May and the bloke who took him out - May was starting to angle to cut across his path as well so their player would have been forced to check his run too, no way was he getting back alongside if May got away from him. 
  • Options
    We were very comfortable for the majority of the game but so unbelievably toothless throughout and if May had buried that chance I don’t think it would have been a fair reflection of our performance. However, for us to lose that is incredibly poor - they were not very good at all apart from their blonde winger but for about 10 or 15 minutes there we gave them 4 or 5 huge chances out of nothing.

The big positives for me were Edun (who looks like the left back we’ve been desperate for the last couple of years) and Kanu who finished very well and looked dangerous.

Overall it was a great example of everything that’s wrong with our squad. 3 or 4 players who walk into that first team are needed otherwise we’re in for another depressing year.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    There is more bite on the homeless fella i see everyday at London Bridge. 
    We tried to sign him, but Percy Pink Pants couldn’t agree terms
  • Options
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Curbs says no fast fix and it’s going to take time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Lightweight team, lightweight club. Plymouth top 4 in Championship. We're "unlucky" against the second best club in Bristol.
  • Options
    Not having the fact some are saying we were unlucky to lose. Bristol rovers had two cleared off the line and a one on one lob which Sinclair should’ve buried.
    I don't think anyone can claim we had the better chances. 

More of the play perhaps, but we created next to nothing outside of CBT pot shots. 
  • Options
    CAFC_boi said:
    Never want to see Payne in a Charlton shirt again. Absolute disaster class and worst individual performance I have ever seen! 
    Thoughts on the game to follow but initial reaction is that’s a ridiculous statement 

He may not have watched much football.
  • Options
    Groundhog Day
  • Options
    I think the time to “fix” it is the transfer window. We haven’t so far, and I’m not convinced that we will. 
  • Options
    Same old shit. Couple of okay players, loads who are not up to it

two one sided - no attacking threat at all down the right hand side 

May needs a partner

gk and cbs not strong enough 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Isn't that what we've been saying for the last 10 years? How slow does the fix have to be?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think the time to “fix” it is the transfer window. We haven’t so far, and I’m not convinced that we will. 
    Writing off all the summer signings already?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The attacking toothlessness can be explained by the lack of a strike partner for May.

I'm not sure what the excuse is though for the defensive ineptitude. That second half really wasn't good enough at the back, and it wasn't so much individual errors today, as horrible team defending, which is more worrying.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The good.

We looked great going forwards at times, Edun looked impressive in attack, May had 3/4 real good chances (which I guess is a positive he's there at least), CBT has learned to keep his efforts down but sadly not on target, Kanu scored.

The shite
    Still the same old defensive fragility, poor positioning and switching off, perhaps hanging on to too many of the same leaky defence as last season wasnt the smartest, hopefully hector becomes too good.for league one again soon.

Yes, they should have been down to 10 towards the end and maybe they wouldn't have got a winner,  but,  if you're going to make that argument then May should have put his chance away and rovers had 3 excellent chances in Sinclair's lob that just went wide and two last ditch goal line clearances. So, yeah... 2-4 in the shoulda coulda been score and we still lose.

Ah well. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Writing off all the summer signings already?
    No, but alone they aren’t enough. 
  • Options
    Periods again of looking like a decent team. Not a great one, mind you but okay. But still not for a whole game and that's three games in. Already looking like needing a lot more work doing than can (or will) be done in the remaining time.

Twas ever thus. Unless Holden or the SMT have something on the scale of parting the Red Sea or feeding the 5000 up their sleeves it's another season of also-rans status ahead.