Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tuesday 15 August 2023 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Bristol Rovers haven't managed to keep a clean sheet so far in their first 3 competitive fixtures, so it will be rather telling if we can't manage manage to score...

I think if we are to win this we need at least 2-3 goals as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet, we have lost 2 on the trot to these lot and in the last 5 managed 2 wins ourselves. I am gonna say 2-1 or 3-2 but I am leaning (more hoping) towards 2-1 as I can't see us scoring 3 goals in a game yet, particularly against a decent side like Bristol Rovers. Got these down as my dark horse for play-offs. 

I think the 352/532 is promising, but I would like use to use it and chuck our best players available at the game. I would have Hector closest to Asiimwe's side cause I think the young lad is gonna need an experienced head nearby to deal with a dangerous Aaron Collins, I would also keep Camara nearer that side and have him covering the wing. Thomas gets the nod over Ness for me, just think he's looked decent so far and imagine Ness could do with a bit of a break, need Jones for what will be a physical test up against Marquis. Rest of the line-up speaks for itself. Our biggest current headache is having a good winger but not playing the formation to utilise him, I would still start Edun though as he looks like he may be one of our better players on the ball and can slot into midfield if we need a change of formation. 

Really hope Alf opens his account on Tuesday, Bristol Rovers are leaky and at home it should be a good chance to get it done. COYA

AMB
    Hector - Thomas - Jones
    Asiimwe - Camara - Dobson - Taylor - Edun
    May - CBT

I'm surprised you think Rovers are weak at the back.  They conceded just 1 goal to both Barnsley (7 against Port Vale) and Portsmouth (4 against Leyton Orient).  EFL cup away at Ipswich let in 2, so would most L1 teams and probably more. 
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers haven't managed to keep a clean sheet so far in their first 3 competitive fixtures, so it will be rather telling if we can't manage manage to score...

I think if we are to win this we need at least 2-3 goals as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet, we have lost 2 on the trot to these lot and in the last 5 managed 2 wins ourselves. I am gonna say 2-1 or 3-2 but I am leaning (more hoping) towards 2-1 as I can't see us scoring 3 goals in a game yet, particularly against a decent side like Bristol Rovers. Got these down as my dark horse for play-offs. 

I think the 352/532 is promising, but I would like use to use it and chuck our best players available at the game. I would have Hector closest to Asiimwe's side cause I think the young lad is gonna need an experienced head nearby to deal with a dangerous Aaron Collins, I would also keep Camara nearer that side and have him covering the wing. Thomas gets the nod over Ness for me, just think he's looked decent so far and imagine Ness could do with a bit of a break, need Jones for what will be a physical test up against Marquis. Rest of the line-up speaks for itself. Our biggest current headache is having a good winger but not playing the formation to utilise him, I would still start Edun though as he looks like he may be one of our better players on the ball and can slot into midfield if we need a change of formation. 

Really hope Alf opens his account on Tuesday, Bristol Rovers are leaky and at home it should be a good chance to get it done. COYA

AMB
    Hector - Thomas - Jones
    May - CBT

I'm surprised you think Rovers are weak at the back.  They conceded just 1 goal to both Barnsley (7 against Port Vale) and Portsmouth (4 against Leyton Orient).  EFL cup away at Ipswich let in 2, so would most L1 teams and probably more. 
    In their last 10 games last season they managed 2 clean sheets in that time (one guess as to who one of those clean sheets was) and have yet to produce one so far this season. Not a team that gets hammered by any stretch but they do struggle to keep one out typically 
  • Options
    Was this fixture last season the one when Ryan Inniss made two mistakes which cost Cafc the match after we played decent for most of the game ?
  • Options
    It would need to be Jones, Hector, Thomas if they are the 3 selected in a back three.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Was this fixture last season the one when Ryan Inniss made two mistakes which cost Cafc the match after we played decent for most of the game ?
    Unfortunately, yes. Let Marquis in twice. The mad thing is, he scored to make it 1-0 to us.

Our team that day was:

Maynard-Brewer
    Clare - Lavelle - Inniss - Sessegnon
    Payne - Dobson - Fraser
    Rak-Sakyi - Stockley - Blackett-Taylor

Question is, are we that much stronger right now? Defensively, yes we probably are. Midfield is about the same, Camara makes us stronger but with Fraser injured it weakens us. Up top, you'd have to say it's weaker as we only have CBT and May now. Stockley was poor but we know how important JRS was.
    Yep we need to replace Rak Sak n Crack and we need a big man in the side too. 
  • Options
    Although not easy (it never is) , I fancy two home wins this week, but main thing is don't lose either, hopefully May can open his account with a goal or two. 2-1.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Why does everyone keep putting CBT up front in their line ups? He’s been arguably our best player this season doing what he does best, which is getting the ball out wide and taking on the full back. Why on earth would you move him central??? 

He has to play out wide whether that be at wing back or maybe as a winger with Edun behind him in a 4-3-3, 3-4-3 or 4-4-2. Surely we’ve learnt by now not to try putting players in positions that don’t suit them? 
    I think it is incredible people are suggesting we change one of the things which is working well. It is a bit like suggesting we would be better without Dobbo as some did pre-season. I may be old fashoined but bank the things that work surely.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers have 14 players either injured or doubtful so with our 8 could be an under 23 fixture …. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bristol Rovers have 14 players either injured or doubtful so with our 8 could be an under 23 fixture …. 
    https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-rovers/charlton-athletic-v-bristol-rovers-injury-news-as-eleven-ruled-out-and-three-doubts-4253802
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-rovers/charlton-athletic-v-bristol-rovers-injury-news-as-eleven-ruled-out-and-three-doubts-4253802
    Their starting 11 really isn't very impacted by injuries at the moment at all. They played very well vs Barnsley apparently and have recruited well so will be a tough game
  • Options
    We’ve played three games and scored two goals. One goal to decide the match and I’m not sure to whom.
  • Options
    The thought of watching Payne and CBT again
  • Options
    Mike said:
    shirty5 said:
    Their starting 11 really isn't very impacted by injuries at the moment at all. They played very well vs Barnsley apparently and have recruited well so will be a tough game
    Agree, I was there. Connor Taylor makes them a different defence from last season. And goalkeeper Belshaw a crowd favourite seems to have fallen out with Barton (probably quite easy) so he should be looking for another club as he is a very decent keeper.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I actually heard a few blokes saying CBT is effin useless on the way out

Surprising how different views can be cause I think he is our only dangerous attacking player atm &  if we are gonna score it's likely because of him. 

If I was Holden I would be putting him onto shooting practice only for a bit, with the amount of chances he gets to shoot he should be hitting the target at least 3 times a game 
    That's the point. He is one of our attacking front three at present and can't score. It is not his fault we only have one striker, but expecting him to become one because we need him to is unrealistic. There is also a question in my mind that he can fit into any team that does not play 442. He is neither a wingback nor a goalscorer, however talented in other ways.
    He would be best used by us if we are chasing the game and need to switch from 352 to 442 and can come on as a sub.
  • Options
    Given the injuries and lack of match fitness for some who are not (yet) injured I have no idea what the team will be. 

But we do need to re-think the attacking strategy and while lumping balls up to May will work if he has a target man centre forward to hold the ball up for him they won't work if his forward partner is Jack Payne. So...play the ball through on the deck and give May a chance. 

Elsewhere I assume John Marquis will start for BR, in which case we need to adjust the defensive line. I'd play Michael Hector and give him the job of man-marking him into boredom. His experience against Marquis and/or Scott Sinclair should be what he's in the squad to do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

AMB
    Hector - Thomas - Jones
    May - CBT

In their last 10 games last season they managed 2 clean sheets in that time (one guess as to who one of those clean sheets was) and have yet to produce one so far this season. Not a team that gets hammered by any stretch but they do struggle to keep one out typically 
    Their squad has been tweaked for improvement since last season. did they have players out for the last 10 games like many smaller clubs, it hits home last 10 games.  Their form did drop off at the end of last season but its a new season.  

Lets hope we don't let them score one against us because we only look capable of 1 goal ourselves.
  • Options
    The thought of watching Payne and CBT again
    CBT been our best player this season bar Dobson.
    You sure .. took 37 mins for him to touch the ball on Saturday 
  • Options
    Last year they left out Arron Collins to play more defensive against us and won … Collins apart from Charles at Bolton the only player in league one worth spending 800,000 plus on 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I actually heard a few blokes saying CBT is effin useless on the way out

Surprising how different views can be cause I think he is our only dangerous attacking player atm &  if we are gonna score it's likely because of him. 

If I was Holden I would be putting him onto shooting practice only for a bit, with the amount of chances he gets to shoot he should be hitting the target at least 3 times a game 
    That's the point. He is one of our attacking front three at present and can't score. It is not his fault we only have one striker, but expecting him to become one because we need him to is unrealistic. There is also a question in my mind that he can fit into any team that does not play 442. He is neither a wingback nor a goalscorer, however talented in other ways.
    He would be best used by us if we are chasing the game and need to switch from 352 to 442 and can come on as a sub.
    He got 8 goals in 29 appearances (10 of those appearances were from the bench) last season. That’s pretty good going for someone who can’t score! He clearly got better at that side of the game last season and will continue to do so this season 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    That's 11 in total between the two clubs. Bristol Rovers does not have 14 players either out or doubtful. It's including our injuries in that total when you read the article.
  • Options
    Charlton 4-0, May hat trick.

Nurse.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    shirty5 said:
    That's 11 in total between the two clubs. Bristol Rovers does not have 14 players either out or doubtful. It's including our injuries in that total when you read the article.
    Read the article?
    Is this some sort of new concept?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    shirty5 said:
    The article was put up for Moore’s benefit