Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers | Tuesday 15 August 2023 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic Bristol Rovers
Tuesday 15th August 2023 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Charles Breakspear - previously officiated Charlton in our last game of the season in 2021/22 against Ipswich. 

Introduction
After the opening day weekend win against Leyton Orient, we’ve since been dumped out of the League Cup and lost away at Peterborough. Although the performance in general against The Posh was encouraging, it consisted of very little threat to really hurt them. 0 shots on target all game… it seems most of our play also goes through one player right now and he, CBT, is quickly going to be double or even tripled up on. I think it’s fair to say the last two results have highlighted the lack of squad depth, and we can only hope for a positive end to the window if we are to make a right good go of it this season. For now though, we have another match to think about. Up next, Bristol Rovers.

Opposition
Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Manager: Joey Barton
Previous result: 1-1 draw at home to Barnsley. Their line up was:

Cox
Hoole | Taylor | Crama | Gordon
Finley | Ward
Thomas | Evans | Collins
Marquis

Bristol Rovers have started the season unbeaten (in the league) and against two of the better teams. An opening day draw at Pompey was followed up with a draw against Barnsley, a team who put 7 past Port Vale last week. On paper, it would be classed as a challenging start for The Pirates, but they’ve shown to be competitive. This is going to be a difficult game for us, especially with some key players out of our own.

Over the summer, Bristol Rovers notably signed Jevani Brown from Exeter. The forward played 27 times last season before an incident that involved assault charges. Brown missed the weekend’s fixture against Barnsley, but a record of 12 goals and 9 assists in 27 last term shows that he is a threat if he is to be involved this time round. Aaron Collins is another player we’ll to have to keep a close eye on. Like Brown, he scored and assisted a lot of goals last season, 16 and 12 respectively. If Asiimwe is to play right-wing back again, this is likely to be his toughest test yet.

Charlton Team News
News was shared about the extent to our ever growing injury list, and it’s only mid August! Fraser is out with a calf injury that is likely to keep him out for a number of weeks, we probably shouldn’t expect to see him back until mid to late September. Campbell is out with an ankle injury that will see him out until around the end of the month, a similar timeframe for Leaburn and hopefully Aneke too. Taylor missed the weekend with a knee problem but I think he is the one we are hoping to see involved on Tuesday, if not, it could be Egbo. On positive news, this is Elerewe’s last game suspended so he will be hoping to be in the squad on Saturday against Port Vale.

Holden has a bit of work to do to find a way that gets the best out of May and gets us scoring goals. At home, we can expect Bristol Rovers to sit off us and aim to hurt us on the counter with the spaces we leave at the back. It’s with this in mind, I would aim to have Blackett-Taylor as close to May as possible, keeping them on their toes and stretching the defence as often as we can. With no one to partner May, we need to be creative to cause them problems.

I am also unsure whether Jones is going to be able to play two 90 minutes in such quick succession after little pre-season, so Hector coming in might be a change we also see. I hope to see Edun to be named in the starting 11 too. I think it would make our left hand side very strong. The only issue is, just as we had on Saturday, there’s no one on the bench to come on and make a difference. It’s going to be down to the 11 who start to get the job done.

Maynard-Brewer
Ness | Hector | Thomas
Asiimwe | Anderson | Dobson | Camara | Edun 
May | Blackett-Taylor

Isted, Jones, Taylor, McGrandles, Payne, Kirk, Kanu

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Bristol Rovers
May
Blackett-Taylor 

Comments

• Options
    Can't see us winning sadly. Just not enough in this team yet 
  • Options
    CBT seemed to come through fine. We absolutely have to start him and bring him off when he tires. Him and Dobbo have been our best players so far.
  • Options
    Didn't realise we had a Midweek game on Tuesday until I saw people mentioning it after yesterday's game
  • Options
    1-1 draw. Think Tuesday will be another tough game. Fancy Bristol Rovers to be near the play offs come end of the season.
  • Options
    1-1 draw. Think Tuesday will be another tough game. Fancy Bristol Rovers to be near the play offs come end of the season.
    I’d take 4 points from the 2 home games this week. Think that’s a decent return with what we have available and agree with your view on Rovers. They’ve picked up 2 good points so far against strong teams 
  • Options
    No truth in the rumour that you are after an improved contract FA after an 'Athletic' scout was chewing over your words from the weekend 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    Think I’d try and put a bit more nous in the middle of the park. Try someone like McGrandles to play the Andy Hughes role and free up Dobson and Camara to get nearer the box.

Think Anderson isn’t quite ready for 3 games in a row.

AMB

Asiimwe
    Jones
    Hector
    Thomas
    Edun

McGrandles

Dobson
    Camara

CBT

May
  • Options
    Thanks for a quality preview. 

Most of us said it pre-season. 
    A thin squad to play 3 games a week ?
    No chance of top 6. 
    As for this game, if Payne, Kirk or McGrandles start - forget it. 
    May is a tap-in striker, and we don’t create enough. 
    We will know after 10 games, but I fear we have had our expectations falsely raised. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    0-1, no goals from us, defensive gift for them.

Heading for a meltdown...
  • Options
    Will be toughest game yet I think.ni think we all know our shortcomings. Hope for a home win rather to than expect. 1-1. 
  • Options
    Marquis beat us at the Valley last season. 

I like your team @Sage. I'm wondering whether we need to give Payne a run of games to prove himself. He's getting the Albie treatment of start/drop/sub.
  • Options
    Good time to play us. 0-2.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    It sounds as if Jevani Brown might be missing through an injury he picked up in midweek. He wasn’t involved at all in Bristol R’s game against Barnsley yesterday.

Nonetheless, they do have other players that can hurt us and they’ve picked up two 1-1 draws against Barnsley and Portsmouth so it won’t be a walk over.

This is the sort of game we would need to get three points from in order to show we are genuine promotion contenders and I hope we can deliver that.
  • Options
    The current available players cannot score goals  sthey can. So 0-1 to them.
  • Options
    M.Brewer

Ness - Hector - Thomas

Asiimwe - Camara - Dobson - Payne - Edun

May - T.Blackett

I don't like it, but I think it's all we have. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Marquis beat us at the Valley last season. 

I like your team @Sage. I'm wondering whether we need to give Payne a run of games to prove himself. He's getting the Albie treatment of start/drop/sub.
    I do agree, he’s never had a run in the team and therefore can’t really make much impact, I feel he’s always been asked to play in so many different positions. He is best more centrally, not stuck wide right where he doesn’t have the pace to play there. Not saying he’s good enough for a promotion winning team, but he’s never really had the chance either to show us what he can do. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm amazed that Collins is still there, indeed I'm still expecting him to depart this window when Rovers get a bid they can't refuse.

I REALLY hope that we announce someone tomorrow, who goes straight into the squad because they're match fit and not recovering from an injury...
    I know that Holden is a big admirer of Collins. Think he’ll cost us more than we can pay unfortunately.
  • Options
    0-0 written in the stars - scoring so few, letting in so few, on paper we should win…
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I'm amazed that Collins is still there, indeed I'm still expecting him to depart this window when Rovers get a bid they can't refuse.

I REALLY hope that we announce someone tomorrow, who goes straight into the squad because they're match fit and not recovering from an injury...
    I know that Holden is a big admirer of Collins. Think he’ll cost us more than we can pay unfortunately.
    He's another player I'd expect to go to the Championship. Cardiff, Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday type of signing.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers haven't managed to keep a clean sheet so far in their first 3 competitive fixtures, so it will be rather telling if we can't manage manage to score...

I think if we are to win this we need at least 2-3 goals as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet, we have lost 2 on the trot to these lot and in the last 5 managed 2 wins ourselves. I am gonna say 2-1 or 3-2 but I am leaning (more hoping) towards 2-1 as I can't see us scoring 3 goals in a game yet, particularly against a decent side like Bristol Rovers. Got these down as my dark horse for play-offs. 

I think the 352/532 is promising, but I would like use to use it and chuck our best players available at the game. I would have Hector closest to Asiimwe's side cause I think the young lad is gonna need an experienced head nearby to deal with a dangerous Aaron Collins, I would also keep Camara nearer that side and have him covering the wing. Thomas gets the nod over Ness for me, just think he's looked decent so far and imagine Ness could do with a bit of a break, need Jones for what will be a physical test up against Marquis. Rest of the line-up speaks for itself. Our biggest current headache is having a good winger but not playing the formation to utilise him, I would still start Edun though as he looks like he may be one of our better players on the ball and can slot into midfield if we need a change of formation. 

Really hope Alf opens his account on Tuesday, Bristol Rovers are leaky and at home it should be a good chance to get it done. COYA

AMB
    Hector - Thomas - Jones
    Asiimwe - Camara - Dobson - Taylor - Edun
    May - CBT

• Options
    Tough team Bristol Rovers , they’ll be there and thereabouts, not many teams will beat them this season.

1-0 0-0 or 0-1 and as dull as me 

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Why does everyone keep putting CBT up front in their line ups? He’s been arguably our best player this season doing what he does best, which is getting the ball out wide and taking on the full back. Why on earth would you move him central??? 

He has to play out wide whether that be at wing back or maybe as a winger with Edun behind him in a 4-3-3, 3-4-3 or 4-4-2. Surely we’ve learnt by now not to try putting players in positions that don’t suit them? 
    Because we don’t have another credible striking option.  He can start up front but drift wide .