Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic Vs Leyton Orient: Saturday 5th August 2023: KO 3.00pm

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I thought Pigott looked like a decent hold up striker yesterday 
    Aside from not getting within about 30 yards of our goal?
  • Options
    Holden said last week on Zoom that Alfie May will continue to do runs and we have to try to find him.
    I'm a great believer in the harder you work on the training ground you will get sharper in matches.
    The amount of off-sides and Fraser not at his sharpest ( marked) meant the flag was shown more than on CL back in the day.
    Orient were quite deep too, so there wasn’t much space in behind, especially with the rain meaning the ball skipped off the turf. Against a more attacking side like Peterborough next week that long ball could be a lot more effective 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    se9addick said:
    Aside from not getting within about 30 yards of our goal?
    The think that was pretty much his role - recieve the ball deep and bring other Orient players into it. I thought he did that pretty effectively. 
  • Options
    Team not yet playing to one another's strengths. For example if May continues with harassing runs he needs earlier passes on the ground. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Good to hear a rendition of ‘the Orient family’ it’s a bit like that that side of the river , that’s why I moved over there 
    Haha. It was a bit odd calling a team from a couple of miles away inbreds! 
    Hate that song. I’ve been to games with my mum back in the 80s, and I’d have died if they’d sung that. 🫣
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    Good to hear a rendition of ‘the Orient family’ it’s a bit like that that side of the river , that’s why I moved over there 
    Hate that song. I’ve been to games with my mum back in the 80s, and I’d have died if they’d sung that. 🫣
    Was she from Leyton?
  • Options
    Deserved win for the better side.

Orient frustrated us by packing the midfield.

Old master Pratley closed done Fraser very effectively (again) leaving our centre backs to try and make 50 yards passes to May.

When we did manage to build the play we looked dangerous especially CBT who got the assist.

Campbell isn't a partner for Alfie  He was very good and if he was playing off Leaburn or Nombe all well and good but that's May's job.

Thomas, who it seems will inherit the Albie Morgan/Sean Clare scapegoat costume was good, just as he was good last season but he is still damned with faint praise.

Edun was a revelation. Fast, tricky, strong in the tackle, skillful. Picking between him and CBT will be difficult. Maybe horses for courses depending on the opposition.

Thought Anderson faded slightly and was caught out of position a few times but still an impressive full debut at only 18.

Camara was the player I remember from his Plymouth days, love those leggy runs but boy what a miss.

Dobson was very aggressive in the tackle and was my man of match even without the goal.

We'll play better and we'll play better sides when we'll need to.

We did look stronger against corners and free kicks.

And despite what Golfie has said all summer about not needing another striker I think we do, possibly two, along with a right back assuming Egbo is out of favour along with DJ.

Three points, clean sheet, good crowd.

Tony Keohane still hasn't got all the turnstiles open but a guy with a hand held scanner meant we could walk straight into our new East Stand seats.
    Golfie is rarely, if ever, happy with anything so there's no way he's happy with our current crop of strikers.

Every single person on this forum knows we need another striker.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For those whose whelmometer is close to neutral, may I suggest we would have won more convincingly and more swashbucklingly if we had been kicking the right blimmin way!

That was down to Darren Pratley. He's no mug and knows we'd want to kick towards the Covered End 2nd half. He won the toss & turned us around.

Smart bloke.
    Gamesmanship in the most negative form is all he has in his locker.Good riddance. 
    PS it didn't work
    Can’t agree with that. It’s not gamesmanship. Gamesmanship is Jason Pearce going down in our box with 5 minutes to go when we are 1-0 up at Fleetwood or somewhere and under the cosh, and getting a miracle fix ffrom the physio. And we all love Jase, right? 

Pratley won the toss. There was no issue with sun, or AFAIK wind. So how else do you use it? He knows the Valley because he’s played here - and won- when it was rocking. It was literally his job to take a decision to piss us all off.

i would not want him in our team now, but he’s what, 39. He played a big role in getting us out of this division, and he captained Orient to a title. Look at him yesterday. Fit as a fiddle. That’s what I call a true pro. And we need some of our players to be a bit more Darren Pratley this season, starting with Fraser.
    Not at the game, did Pratley get a decent reception ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    It's not that Dean Holden doesn't rate Daniel Kanu but at 18 and the pressure of scoring goals probably doesn't feel he's quite ready.
    I'm a flag waver for Kanu but he still needs to break through so play him against Newport.

There's an echo chamber that sounds about May needing a partner; the clue is in 3-5-2.
    3-5-2 will be just one version of how we will play this season. 
    Leaburn will surely be the man but that won't be before mid September unless he can get sharp quickly when he joins the 1st team at Sparrows lane around the 17th August ( quote from Dean) training away from 1st team at moment.

We need another forward who can play in a two as partner with Alfie May or play in a 3 with ability to play wider. Sorry for my language but a version of Lyle Taylor 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very few 18, or 19, year olds are ready.  The ones that are are either playing 2 or 3 levels below their natural level, or are physically already fully grown men (even if they are still growing) and normally both.

If it was normal for them to be ready there would be absolutely zero point in u21s football.

I think most of our current crop made their pro debuts in 2022.  Most of the class of 92 didn't become regulars at Man United until 95/96.  We need to protect, not rush and over expect the Class of 22 and all being well Leaburn, Kanu, Mitchell, Anderson and Asiimwe will he top championship players, with us, in 2025/26 and still improving.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    Was she from Leyton?
    They lived in Edmonton when JS played for Spurs. She was born nearby. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For those whose whelmometer is close to neutral, may I suggest we would have won more convincingly and more swashbucklingly if we had been kicking the right blimmin way!

That was down to Darren Pratley. He's no mug and knows we'd want to kick towards the Covered End 2nd half. He won the toss & turned us around.

Smart bloke.
    Gamesmanship in the most negative form is all he has in his locker.Good riddance. 
    PS it didn't work
    Can’t agree with that. It’s not gamesmanship. Gamesmanship is Jason Pearce going down in our box with 5 minutes to go when we are 1-0 up at Fleetwood or somewhere and under the cosh, and getting a miracle fix ffrom the physio. And we all love Jase, right? 

Pratley won the toss. There was no issue with sun, or AFAIK wind. So how else do you use it? He knows the Valley because he’s played here - and won- when it was rocking. It was literally his job to take a decision to piss us all off.

i would not want him in our team now, but he’s what, 39. He played a big role in getting us out of this division, and he captained Orient to a title. Look at him yesterday. Fit as a fiddle. That’s what I call a true pro. And we need some of our players to be a bit more Darren Pratley this season, starting with Fraser.
    He got a lot of applause when he was subbed. Hope he noticed. 
  • Options
    Felt sorry for May, if Dobson had not got in front of him, he would have got his first league goal for us.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Smart bloke.
    PS it didn't work

He got a lot of applause when he was subbed. Hope he noticed. 
    Thanks
  • Options
    Tbh I’d rather he’d left it for Alfie. 

His earlier shot that was saved was a thing of beauty; the way he popped the ball up with his right foot to volley with his left. We’d have been raving if that had gone in. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Felt sorry for May, if Dobson had not got in front of him, he would have got his first league goal for us.

This is part of the fluidity of movement by Charlton under Dean Holden !!!
    I did say I wanted George to be more than a number 6 but even I didn't imagine he would be a fox in the box !

Dean was surprised with Dobbo being there.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I’d be surprised if the players weren’t up for the first game of the season, be mightily disappointed if they weren’t!

One game, one goal, not quite champions elect yet, much sterner tests lie in wait and a more realistic impression of how much progress we may have made under Holden, will come in the later months ahead and if we can maintain that enthusiasm and spirit consistently and not once in awhile or against the better teams.

Looking forward to any additions we add this month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must had been watching another game to me clearly needs a strike partner but always a threat expecting good things this season with him seems to have a great attitude 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I didn't even notice he was playing until about the 60th minute.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    “[Egbo] is fit,” added Holden.

“He’s fighting with Nathan in that position, and we feel Nathan has got ahead of him. You can’t pick everybody unfortunately.”

Sounds like Holden definitely wants to move Egbo on if possible.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I didn't even notice he was playing until about the 60th minute.
    Brian Cole announced him as Joe Pie got - maybe that's why he went unnoticed - i'm sure it wasn't deliberate :D