Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aberdeen Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I thought this was a really entertaining game,Aberdeen were very good on the ball and probably better than any other side we will play next season.Plenty of positives for us.Alfie May did not stop looking for that chance,he will get plenty of opportunities against league 1 clubs.Plenty of comments about CBT,but he is a winger and should not be there to defend,if given a free attacking role,he will cause havoc .Our midfield looked good at times,but up against the opposition quality today did get a bit of a reality check.If Camara,Fraser,and Dobbo click,there wont be better midfields in this league.My one concern was the amount of times we got done by the ball either through or over our central defenders.hector very good on the ball,but that wont stop goals,personally,and have said before,I would have liked Innis to have stayed,with all his faults he could head a ball away and could defend.Impressed with our younger players,they will learn,and will be an integral part of what I think is a decent squad(once they are all fit).
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    I expect Taylor will be Dobson’s main competition rather than McGrandles.
    Oh ok, I thought he was supposed to be more for the Morgan/Henry role.
    Might be used there too, but while McGrandles has played as a holding midfielder it’s not his best position.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    Might be used there too, but while McGrandles has played as a holding midfielder it’s not his best position.
    My understanding of the positions would be that if the first choice 3 is Dobson/Camara/Fraser then the "understudies" would be Taylor/McGrandles/Payne respectively. At least in the current thinking, and with the proviso that McG CAN cover pretty much any position albeit to varying degrees of success.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    My understanding of the positions would be that if the first choice 3 is Dobson/Camara/Fraser then the "understudies" would be Taylor/McGrandles/Payne respectively. At least in the current thinking, and with the proviso that McG CAN cover pretty much any position albeit to varying degrees of success.
    On paper I agree but it’ll probably be more fluid than that. Against stronger sides we might want to play Taylor and Dobson together for example. Anderson is also pushing for a place and there’s not room for all 7 in a match day squad.
  • Options
    I thought Taylor was supposed to be an alternative to Henry or Morgan, I don’t think he has the Dobbo kind of combat qualities.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought Taylor was supposed to be an alternative to Henry or Morgan, I don’t think he has the Dobbo kind of combat qualities.

He talked about having both sides to his game. Only a few clips here, you could probably find similar for Morgan but shows he has it in his game.
  • Options
    I struggle to understand why we keep signing players who aren’t fit enough to start. 
    That's free agents for you plus those players excluded by clubs anxious to move them on.

Comes with the territory, I'm afraid, Weegie.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    The real key to the midfield isn't who our best 3 are, it's what is our best 3 and what's the best way to set that up.   

We haven't got that right really, bar about 5 games under Adkins, since the injury crisis of 2019.

It hasn't been better than the sum of its parts.  Now admittedly some of the players haven't, individually, been good enough for what we expect but as a whole the midfield has been less than the sum of the parts for the last 3 and a half seasons. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    On paper I agree but it’ll probably be more fluid than that. Against stronger sides we might want to play Taylor and Dobson together for example. Anderson is also pushing for a place and there’s not room for all 7 in a match day squad.
    Very true and there's a good chance that McGrandles and/or Payne might be moved on for financial purposes or to make way for Anderson if Holden has that much faith in him. Plus as you say there's tactical considerations and injury/suspensions that come into play.

I don't think Holden is absolutely wedded to a single formation/tactic (at least I hope not) but was mostly just basing it on the "2 for each position" principle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

He talked about having both sides to his game. Only a few clips here, you could probably find similar for Morgan but shows he has it in his game.
    Yeah. See what you mean.
    On best bit clips in general, they certainly used to impress me, but not any more.
    Watching a player live is more informative.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah. See what you mean.
    On best bit clips in general, they certainly used to impress me, but not any more.
    Yes, they don't do 'worst bits' or 'usual bits' clips do they?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah. See what you mean.
    Well, of course, Seth ....... surely no one can forget the famous Izale McLeod 'Best of' video on You Tube?
    We were all well and truly hoodwinked. Lesson learned. :)

• Options
    I struggle to understand why we keep signing players who aren’t fit enough to start. 
    Could not agree more. Same old record even with new owners at the moment.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah. See what you mean.
    Well, of course, Seth ....... surely no one can forget the famous Izale McLeod 'Best of' video on You Tube?

https://youtu.be/2Yrl-QAokyA
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah. See what you mean.

https://youtu.be/2Yrl-QAokyA
    He was a decent striker but was instantly Charltonised. I will never forget the forearm smash against a Northwich player... Ben Thatcher levels of disgraceful. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    seth plum said:

Yeah. See what you mean.

Tbf McLeod had a fantastic previous two years with MK Dons.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    This is a good point and against a stronger team, especially away from home, we could probably go that way with one up front allowing the extra midfielder. The big question is whether we can make enough chances and score enough goals like that and I think that is a possibility depending on the relative strenth of the two teams.
  • Options
    QPR fans called for the managers head after 5-0 defeat at Oxford in pre season game .. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    It’s hard to keep up with what some of our best players’ best positions actually are. 
    People are now talking about Fraser playing up top with May, which has done my head in a bit. Thought he was our main midfield play maker?
    At least we know with Dobbo. And Hector. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    QPR fans called for the managers head after 5-0 defeat at Oxford in pre season game .. 
    I would say it's more to do with them losing 8 times in his 13 matches in charge. They are not fancied at all for promotion this season and look more likely to be in a relegation fight. Their fans probably see the writing on the wall, 5-0 in a pre-season to Oxford is an alarming result considering Oxford have just come off the back end of a bad* season themselves.

I think Ainsworth suited Wycombe cause they are a team with a small budget who needed to play a certain way, I don't think he will be able to get the playstyle out of QPR that their fans expect.

As things stand for me, I've got them Cardiff and Rotherham to come down. 

It's kind of why I am desperate for promotion this season, 3 tough teams are coming down this season I reckon and I expect the likes of Bradford, Wrexham, Notts County and Stockport to come up. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    It’s hard to keep up with what some of our best players’ best positions actually are. 
    People are now talking about Fraser playing up top with May, which has done my head in a bit. Thought he was our main midfield play maker?
    At least we know with Dobbo. And Hector. 
    It shouldn't really do your head in. We have an issue with that position until we bring somebody in and it is a question of how you best cover it. Fraser is definitely an option seeing as we can put in a strong midfielder and he can still perform part of his exsisting role in the team. The question is, do you put an ineffective player in that position or an effective one. Of course you would hope we bring in a player for that position but I'm confident we will strengthen as the weeks go on.

Ultimately, I trust Holden and if he starts with Kirk, that is fine with me and is again covering off a problem position. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That’s exactly what I said, but apparently he’s not?
  • Options
    Out of interest who was doing the pitch-side announcing on Saturday? Didn't recognise him or his voice.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Out of interest who was doing the pitch-side announcing on Saturday? Didn't recognise him or his voice.
    Dickie Davis from Sky Sports (or may have left them now)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    https://www.tvnewsroom.co.uk/biography-images/dickie-davis-4862/
  • Options
    Ahhh interesting, I didn't recognise him at all, but I recognise him from Sky if that makes sense. Sounded different live on the mic and on the tannoy compared to on TV