Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• I’m not going to quote @PragueAddick because of the long post but I think the roles are fairly defined.Just to clarify, I think jury is out on the SMT but I think people are concocting issues that don’t exist which doesn’t help with scrutiny. 

Scott is Technical Director, he’s in charge of player recruitment, staff recruitment for both the senior team and youth teams and ensuring there’s a pathway for progression of players. He’s also in charge of contract negotiations etc. 

Lenegan works for GFP, I think probably keeping an eye on Scott and I think he’s also making notes of what to do differently when buying another club for the group (no one has mentioned this but clearly inevitable)

Elliot is meant to be more ambassadorial but clearly wants more influence than he has but I think he cares about the club. Whether his ideas are any good is a different question. 

Methven is clearly more than just a link between the boards, I don’t trust him. 

Rodwell is supposed to oversee the non-footballing matters which is why it seems unclear to us. He doesn’t need to shout about that stuff. 

There are definitely too many people involved but the ones actually employed by CAFC have defined roles. It’s the board above that is messy and they’re clearly struggling with the hands off approach, that in part could be down to the poor performance of Scott. 
  • UEAAddick said:
    Croydon said:
    Does this bloke go to the games? Or is there a community meeting planned anytime soon? 

This bloke has a lot to answer for, I want to hear how he explains what he does for Charlton. 
    He'll give a semi competent interview and have half the fanbse tugging themselves off over it.
    I don't know why you have to keep slagging off fans all the time at end of posts, based on what a few people might have said about someone coming across in an interview. Even they do think someone may have come across well, doesn't mean they think are necessarily doing a good job or free from criticism.
    There's thinking someone comes across well, and there's being taken in time and time again by the same old bullshit. 
  • @fenaddick thanks for your coherent reply. I have some questions, which should not be taken as arguing with you, just trying to make sure I, and everyone else understand better.

Re Lenegan your remarks imply that he is *not* on the club payroll and that his correct title is *Group* Sporting Director. Is that how you understand it?

Rodwell’s role may be misunderstood in part because he was the one who presented the hapless 8-8-8 thing to us. Admittedly he didnt seem to fully understand it himself, but that is not our fault, is it. I wonder who you think was involved in developing that? 

If your perspective is accurate, then Scott is very exposed and deserves all the criticism coming his way. Are you quite sure he deserves it all and none of the others I name, do?

Finally I certainly ask myself what the total wage bill of that lot chargeable to CAFC is (Lenegan may or may not be included). As a % of CAFC revenue, I suspect that figure may be very high regardless of any positive things any of them lay claim to. If I were a “hedgie” type businessman, or any typical hard-nosed Yank for that matter, I’d be looking at that line on the P&L with a very baleful eye.
  • It all just sounds like another 'New' model that nobody else is trying.
    Reinventing the wheel again. Wheels that don't turn.
  • @fenaddick thanks for your coherent reply. I have some questions, which should not be taken as arguing with you, just trying to make sure I, and everyone else understand better.

Re Lenegan your remarks imply that he is *not* on the club payroll and that his correct title is *Group* Sporting Director. Is that how you understand it?

Rodwell’s role may be misunderstood in part because he was the one who presented the hapless 8-8-8 thing to us. Admittedly he didnt seem to fully understand it himself, but that is not our fault, is it. I wonder who you think was involved in developing that? 

If your perspective is accurate, then Scott is very exposed and deserves all the criticism coming his way. Are you quite sure he deserves it all and none of the others I name, do?

Finally I certainly ask myself what the total wage bill of that lot chargeable to CAFC is (Lenegan may or may not be included). As a % of CAFC revenue, I suspect that figure may be very high regardless of any positive things any of them lay claim to. If I were a “hedgie” type businessman, or any typical hard-nosed Yank for that matter, I’d be looking at that line on the P&L with a very baleful eye.
    As far as I’m aware yes, Scott has described him as “the sporting director for our ownership group”. Obviously they were just words but it’s what I’m basing it off. 

I think Scott is certainly the one who is most clearly underperforming. Where I do have sympathy with him is that he’s having to build a whole new structure, I don’t think we really had many scouts under previous regimes so I’d hope he’s quietly building those networks. I also think the budget in the summer was poor and held him back. His January window and managerial appointments don’t appear to be up to scratch but in the case of the window we need to give the players a few games to get used to new surroundings etc. 

Personally, I hope someone (most likely to be Lenegan) is looking to see who else is available to replace Scott. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with a lot of what @Henry Irving” has said above. Interested that Scott deals with the women’s side too as I couldn’t remember that or not, I don’t know how involved he is as I think they have a GM too but the women’s team is definitely successful at the moment. 

I also don’t think they’re chancers just that our fans are scarred. We have had a lot of chancers recently so it’s understandable that when the team underperforms people think those in charge are chancers. 

I’d like to see a highly regarded chief scout/similar role come in to help on the transfer front. Everything seems too scatter gun and I think an extra person to work out strategy would be good 
  • Andy Scott’s interview pre season was spot on and I agreed and still agree with what he said now (loser mentality around that club that’s got to change).

Problem is he’s somehow, with what appears to be an increased budget, added to the loser mentality!  My question is how long do you give someone in his role?  I understand that at management level you can get fired these days for a few defeats in a row, but at strategic level is that the right move?  Perhaps it is I’m genuinely asking the question because I don’t know.  
  • NabySarr said:
    No quote from Scott on the manager announcement, is he on his way out? 
    Hopefully 
  • On his way out or not he’ll have less of a say over transfers which is a positive 
  • NabySarr said:
     Could be significant that.
  • Why do we have a Finance Director who is not an Accountant?
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Doubt he's on his way just yet but he will be under scrutiny I imagine. If the "manager" title is not just semantics I would imagine he will be given a chance to show how he does in an altered role but probably on last chance saloon.

I'm not arguing that he "deserves" said chance BTW. Just stating my belief that expecting him to go anywhere is premature. 
    Because the whole thing about this takeover is that the numbers just don’t add up 😉😆
  • We do like to have a villain don't we. I suppose Scott is as good as anyone for that but it's a bit much sometimes. We don't actually know exactly who does what as has been said but I also think that as is often the case on the pitch, it takes time for a system for bed into place. Our signings on paper have been better this window. They were better in the summer than they were the window before that. We've seen with the signing of May, then with the January signings and now the appointment of Jones that this ownership will shift their preferences in the face of failure or convincing advice. It does make me think that all this talk of running Scott out of town could set us back more than help us. Does Jones want to come in and be faced with an inexperienced brand new setup bringing in players next season or a group that has its system in place and has learned from its mistakes? I dunno, maybe we should keep him just because ever since Roland came in we absolutely have to have someone to despise and it may as well be Scott in the background rather than the manager or a player.
  • We do like to have a villain don't we. I suppose Scott is as good as anyone for that but it's a bit much sometimes. We don't actually know exactly who does what as has been said but I also think that as is often the case on the pitch, it takes time for a system for bed into place. Our signings on paper have been better this window. They were better in the summer than they were the window before that. We've seen with the signing of May, then with the January signings and now the appointment of Jones that this ownership will shift their preferences in the face of failure or convincing advice. It does make me think that all this talk of running Scott out of town could set us back more than help us. Does Jones want to come in and be faced with an inexperienced brand new setup bringing in players next season or a group that has its system in place and has learned from its mistakes? I dunno, maybe we should keep him just because ever since Roland came in we absolutely have to have someone to despise and it may as well be Scott in the background rather than the manager or a player.
    The fact you can only name one signing from the summer says it all really. 
    He was the only one I intended to name because he was an example of someone the ownership apparently didn't want because of his low resale value, but signed him anyway after being convinced of his value. I was talking about the ownership's willingness to change their initial plan rather than the idiotic stubbornness we've seen with some of our last few owners
  • Scott does good presentations and comms. Little evidence of making astute footballing decisions. If the Methven+ plan is making astute football decisions that then does not require significant investment then Scott has failed on that metric, so far. 
    Do we know if he’s an accounts guy, as in he’s qualified by experience or is it just proper cronyism?  
  • edited February 4
    Charlie Methven said in his interview with The Charlton Dossier that he is (or would be) investing his own money, and made quite a big deal of it (his answer to the first question) :

https://thecharltondossier.com/charlie-methven-exclusive-interview/

I suppose it is possible that something changed when the deal was actually closed but unless anyone has anything concrete to disprove that, I’d be inclined to believe him. As I said, he would have some cash because he had a share in Sunderland which was bought out for a decent price. And he goes on to say that because its a relatively large proportion of his wealth compared to the other guys, he’s going to be active in safeguarding it. I’d be inclined to believe that too. How exactly that plays out in the daily drama, we don’t know.