Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Scott Appointed Technical Director

Comments

• Options
    What Scott was suggesting was that he wanted players with more ambition than to just play for Charlton IN LEAGUE ONE.

He didn't want players coming here for their retirement (EG Ben Watson) or for the money (EG Kirk - both examples mine not his) but players who want more than to cruise at this level (EG May) or who have the ability to and want to play at a higher level so have to be persuaded to sign for a mid league one club based on the ambition and future possibilities of that club.

So Bate and May both meet that criteria.

Was that bullshit? Quite possibly but we shall see.l May.
    But virtually all players meet that criteria, bar those dropping down levels as careers wind down.  Near enough every footballer is ambitious, wants to play at a higher level than they are currently at, wants to have a higher salary contract waved their way. No one wants to cruise at L1 with the potential huge step up in wages to Championship so close, unless their ability over time dictates that’s the cap of their ambition. 

And as for ‘the Watson’s’, there is nothing wrong with those signings per se as long as you chose the right ones. We’ve just been signing the wrong ones, our recruitment policy across the board has not been good enough for years and we’ve not been able to keep what we do have fit. It’s left us with unbalanced squads, players not good enough, and players not suited to changes in tactics & formation. 
    And our use in the loan market has generally hindered progress rather than positively added. Bar Rak-Sakyi (thanks to Garner’s contacts), that has under delivered every summer & January since 18/19 which brought Byliek, Cullen, Purrington and summer 19/20 Gallagher & Cullen (and Field if he hadn’t got injured). Since then it’s been dire, most particularly the last two which Scott has chiefed. 

Not disagreeing what you’re relaying what Scott may have said, more a rant of general frustration. As you say, proof will only be in the pudding as we’ve long seen through well delivered words and intentions failing to lead to success. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He's barely been in the job, properly, for 4 months.

I hope none of you are judged on your work so quickly
    i'm not proposing he should be sacked. He now has the same problem that Holden had - no physical presence up top. I'm saying he could do better with what he has to work with and if he continues with may up top on his own then he will get shit performances and should get his coat - its ridiculous and so obvious. 
  • Options
    What Scott was suggesting was that he wanted players with more ambition than to just play for Charlton IN LEAGUE ONE.

He didn't want players coming here for their retirement (EG Ben Watson) or for the money (EG Kirk - both examples mine not his) but players who want more than to cruise at this level (EG May) or who have the ability to and want to play at a higher level so have to be persuaded to sign for a mid league one club based on the ambition and future possibilities of that club.

Was that bullshit? Quite possibly but we shall see. If it isn't BS then will the owners put the dollars in to back Scott's plans? We shall see 

He also emphasised his preference for permanent deals over loans (without ruling out loans; he mentioned positive talks with Man City) and the need for "men" who can be leaders and mentors on and off the pitch for the excellent youngsters we have but upon whom we have, he felt, been over reliant.

Again, this is what he said. This, as said previously by me and Covered End, is not endorsing, agreeing or falling for what he said, just repeating it.

The proof will not be "in the pudding" (as Scott said!) but the proof of the January window pudding will be in its eating ie in the team's performance from January until May.
    Yes and this is where you and covered end are both wrong - we all know what he means - he doesn't want players who are happy to coast along in the third division - so how does that rule May or Bate out? They both want to come to us, not to coast along in the third division but to achieve something and realise their potential with us. Very simple. Context is everything here and repeating what he said and therefore ruling Bate out is nonsense.  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Was that bullshit? Quite possibly but we shall see. If it isn't BS then will the owners put the dollars in to back Scott's plans? We shall see 

He also emphasised his preference for permanent deals over loans (without ruling out loans; he mentioned positive talks with Man City) and the need for "men" who can be leaders and mentors on and off the pitch for the excellent youngsters we have but upon whom we have, he felt, been over reliant.

Again, this is what he said. This, as said previously by me and Covered End, is not endorsing, agreeing or falling for what he said, just repeating it.

The proof will not be "in the pudding" (as Scott said!) but the proof of the January window pudding will be in its eating ie in the team's performance from January until May.
    Yes and this is where you and covered end are both wrong - we all know what he means - he doesn't want players who are happy to coast along in the third division - so how does that rule May or Bate out? They both want to come to us, not to coast along in the third division but to achieve something and realise their potential with us. Very simple. Context is everything here and repeating what he said and therefore ruling Bate out is nonsense.  
    He said Bate and May both meet the criteria - ruling them in, not out.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

He said Bate and May both meet the criteria - ruling them in, not out.
    He was aligning himself with what covered end said for some reason - what covered end said was that what scott said ruled bate out - which it doesn't - anyway whatever was said was said and i'm happy with what i've said - enough said   
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Thanks @Chunes

So really only the following?

Penny, Bonne, Kane, Tedic & Abankwah: Duds

Thomas, Hector & Chem Campbell: OK

The poor signings are woeful and the ok ones are fine for mid table L1.  We should be a team who aspire to more.  To fail to get one real gem out of something like 10 signings is not a great start.
    Why should we? We're clearly a League 1 yo yo club these days. 

We yo-yo between being in the bottom six to mid table over the last few years but unfortunately we aren't top 6 quality despite the standard being mediocre.

Sad but true at the moment and never helped by the injuries. (Buying players with injuries haven't helped or who had limited game time before signing)

• Options
    For the avoidance of doubt I said both Bate and May meet the criteria.

I was ruling both IN 
  • Options
    I do have trust in Scott with his words, his talent still to be proven, same as I believe Appleton would get us promoted if given the right support. 

My pessimism comes from a belief that CM has smooth talked a bunch of investors in to success on an unrealistic low budget and his group of decision makers being smarter then others in the game. 

As always though, I would prefer Charlton points over personal internet points so I hope they prove me wrong. 
  • Options
    For the avoidance of doubt I said both Bate and May meet the criteria.

I was ruling both IN 
    good - so we are agreed Covered End is wrong - thankyou
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His brother Rob has been appointed Director of Football at Rotherham.
  • Options
    Looking forward to the next PowerPoint...
  • Options
    And what the f**k is Rodwell all about?

Apart from probably picking up a fair old wedge each week for doing next to f**k all!
  • Options
    Hopefully Andy Scott is on the way out. He's put us in this mess 
  • Options
    I’m amazed he’s still there. Think a new senior management team is required, sack the lot of them. Nearly 65 years of supporting Charlton what a shambles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott, Rodwell and Methven shouldn’t be allowed to appoint the next one. 
  • Options
    If we go down, it's on him! 
  • Options
    If only the Bromley Addicks meeting with Scott was a few weeks later.  He has been a complete disaster.  This Jan window for us feels like his last at Forest just at a different level in the pyramid.  Blindly signing any player that will come here without a plan.  
  • Options
    I've just messaged one of the investors making clear that in my view any attempt to blame the current mess entirely on Appleton would be inappropriate.  
     Did you ever get your hands on Methvens sales pitch to these people?