Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wealdstone vs Charlton Athletic PSF 22/07/2023 3pm - Match (+post p8) Thread

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    I think we should and probably will view Aberdeen as our first league game. I know it isn't but it is best if we are up to speed by then. The Millwall game then should be viewed as our last friendly and that means it is more than just about fitness in itself.
    Too many of our squad have come through the ranks for the Millwall game to be viewed as just a friendly. It’s a bonding exercise. Aberdeen will be a back to the day job readjustment to get us ready for the first game of the season.
  • Options
    Quite why any Charlton management would want to set up a pre season game v Millwall is beyond me. Regardless of who we sign you just know that they’ll big time piss on our fireworks and put a downer on us all. Apologies to golfie for stealing his thunder.
  • Options
    Quite why any Charlton management would want to set up a pre season game v Millwall is beyond me. Regardless of who we sign you just know that they’ll big time piss on our fireworks and put a downer on us all. Apologies to golfie for stealing his thunder.
    I think it’s a good idea. Firstly a test against a good side from the league above. Secondly a bit more pressure so that it is nearer to replicating the pressure of a league game than a normal friendly would be 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    agreed - the only time i remember playing them in a friendly previously was when dowie was in charge - we were a prem team then and i think we ended up winning 4-1 - i was happy to attend that - i'm not going on tuesday to be beaten and irritated - i'll do it when we play in the league always out of a sense of duty but whoever arranged this can go on their own i'm afraid - self inflicted - the nextr time we play them ina  friendly i want us to be at least 2 divisions above them - give it 3 years  :)  
  • Options
    Last time we did we beat them and won the title.
  • Options
    It's almost as if no one has noticed we are permanently cursed against this shower of shit.  Friendly or not, we will either get gubbed or a new signing sidelined with injury or probably both!

As much as I would love it... (Getting all Kevin Keegan here).
  • Options
    So good to see our youngsters Anderson & Asiimwie pushing for a place in the squad.
    Panutche Camara looks a really good prospect.

Just a pity our judgments must be qualified by the poor Level of opposition.

PS. Work needed on corners! 
    Defending and attacking
    The back post seems to be a no-go area?
  • Options
    Honestly can't remember the last time we had someone competent at taking corners.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought we lost?

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/9169725.millwall-4-3-charlton/
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I thought we lost?

Fair enough, I must have got it mixed up when we played them under Dowie.

So as long as we lose to them we should win the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I thought we lost?

Fair enough, I must have got it mixed up when we played them under Dowie.

So as long as we lose to them we should win the league.
    I was there, caused massive issues with my ex because I told her she couldn't go 🤣

I didn't know we would win the league that day but I knew we wouldn't be far off.
  • Options
    Cricket is a great game.

It's just too complicated for some people.

The older I get, the more I love it.
  • Options
    Cricket sucks poo, always has....really can't believe it's still here in the 21st century...
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Honestly can't remember the last time we had someone competent at taking corners.
    Shinnie probably the best of recent times, Forster-caskey was pretty decent also. But the last few years our delivery has been really poor 
  • Options
    To go back to yesterday: Liked the look of Jones. Some rust at the start but looks solid on the ball and a great finish. 

In midfield Fraser showed his quality, I thought McGrandles grew into the game and for the first time I felt like I saw where he fits in in this team. 

Anderson with the lovely finish.

Camara is mustard. I knew it, you knew it, we all knew it. Keep him healthy because he is going to be a lot of fun.

Daniel Kanu is not ready and whereas I would be okay if we kept Asiimwe and Anderson for the first half to play in all of the cup games, I think Kanu needs a loan. He's definitely grown physically in the last year, but in terms of positioning outside of the box, and technical ability, he still has a ways to go, and he is going to learn it best by playing senior football. 

Shout out to Kirk, who, after an anonymous first 15, grew into the game, dropped deep, pulled out wide, and helped set up two of the goals. Does he have a future at the club? Probably not. But if we can' move him, he might pop up with a decent game now and again.

Lastly, love Alfie May, but I fear we're going to need a different penalty taker. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Shinnie probably the best of recent times, Forster-caskey was pretty decent also. But the last few years our delivery has been really poor 
    It's one of the things you don't pick up on if you recruit individuals, not a team.  Adkins even said so at one of the supporters meetings. 
  • Options
    Just so we keep beating a non league side in context, Derby beat Stoke 3-0 yesterday.
  • Options
    Another link between the two clubs that I didn’t notice until this evening… to go alongside Charlie Barker, Charles Clayden, Aaron Henry and Deji Elerewe’s loans…

Harry Isted made 33 appearances there between 2019 and 2021 while on loan from Luton.
  • Options
    Crikes. That is quite a low level loan for Isted over recent times. As long as it improved him etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Just so we keep beating a non league side in context, Derby beat Stoke 3-0 yesterday.
    Stoke’s 3rd pre-season game, a bit like Millwall’s will be when they play us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The number of games played is down to the club, but the Championship starts at the same time as L1, so both teams will be at a similar level of fitness and preparation.
  • Options
    The number of games played is down to the club, but the Championship starts at the same time as L1, so both teams will be at a similar level of fitness and preparation.
    Nothing beats match fitness and you only get that by playing other clubs
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I thought Wealdstone played good football for example playing out from the back. It makes sense to loan our players to them as it fits in on how we want to play.
    With two ex-Charlton lads there as well it would make the loan a little easier to settle in to for anybody we sent there. It would be a nice foothold in that part of London to showcase the club to other kids over there. If there is something Charlton is more successful at its giving its youth a chance.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Crikes. That is quite a low level loan for Isted over recent times. As long as it improved him etc.
    AMB was at Hampton & Richmond, Dulwich Hamlet and Dover during the same period.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I thought Wealdstone played good football for example playing out from the back. It makes sense to loan our players to them as it fits in on how we want to play.
    Got to agree with this, I was genuinely surprised at how well they were knocking it about at times from the back and it looked no difference to professional standards of football. 

English football is evolving in recent years, more times are looking comfortable on the ball year on year
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Wouldn't be a bad place for someone like Mitchell to spend a bit of time maybe, his natural style would probably fit in well there plus there's a couple of ex academy boys there which will probably help.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Solidgone said:
    The irony is two of our most successful loans of recent years were at Bromley who don't play anything like anything we have ever played.  Even when our fans have called "hoof ball", its like watching John Becks Cambridge sometimes.

And actually I think that's a really good thing, most academy teams play a similar way because the coaches all do the same courses and that's really more important than winning.  If you spend 3 months playing "win at all costs and sod what it looks like" football it's probably a bit of a culture shock, a steep learning curve and a bit of realism.
  • Options
    Cricket is a great game.

It's just too complicated for some people.

The older I get, the more I love it.
    What he said.