Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Leyton Orient - Pre-Season Friendly.

Comments

• Options
    Egbo and Campbell combine to get behind the back line but no striker in position for the tap in
    I thought Kirk was in a good position but the cross was poor? 
    A bit of pace across the six yard box… didn’t see anything wrong with it myself.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Southbank said:
    Neither Kirk nor CBT fit the 3-5-2 system
    I think they both fit it more than Campbell who I think is the biggest loser from our formation change. 

CBT played wing back for Jackson and did pretty well. Also once we have signed a proper LWB then he can be used as an impact sub which he is very effective at. From pre-season so far the wing backs have played very high up so probably a more attacking 3-5-2 than Jackson’s also 

Kirk doesn’t really fit but he did play up front quite well last season against Pompey and burton. I think he will leave though as for that role as May’s backup I’m sure we’d rather use 2 of our own in Kanu and Campbell 
    If we go into the season with Kanu, green as a pepper tree, and Campbell a winger who is still wet behind the ears as the only back up for May we best hope he plays 40+ games next season.

There is still a lot of work to do in both directions.
  • Options
    A beer? It's only ten past 11!

Might have a dump though. 
  • Options
    Positives, May looked good, Thomas going forward, Fraser good on the ball, Anderson passing the ball nicely.
    Negatives, Henry, lack of pace in his defensive work, passing average.
    Mitchell, some poor passing and defensively looked shaky.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I'll find out from my Leyton Orient colleague later, to see the measure of their teams that they've put out.

I'm hoping this is their better squad
    AFAIK it was mostly their best side. Archibald, Moncur, El Mizouni, Happe, Brynn are all ones I’d be shocked if they don’t start at the Valley…

(edit: Brown, James and Sanders too… that’s eight of the XI)
  • Options
    I'll find out from my Leyton Orient colleague later, to see the measure of their teams that they've put out.

I'm hoping this is their better squad
    It is, it's pretty much full strength.
  • Options
    Mitchell has been horrible. I haven’t seen much of him in the past.  Why is everybody so high his potential? Just one bad performance?

Fraser, Egbo, Isted and Thomas looking solid.
    He'll hopefully do better in a more experienced back line - His best quality is his ability to bring the ball out, and usually his passing ability.

He'll probably end being better in Dobson's role
    I much prefer him in midfield. Indeed in the role Henry had in this half.
  • Options
    Well in that first game. two concerns show up. First that the defenders are too easily manoeuvred out of position and are unaware of who is around them. Two the passing except that of Fraser, was poor to often.
  • Options
    Agree with others, Anderson looking a real prospect. Difficult for us going forward with only May as an actual striker. 

Isted had a strange hour, some really good saves but looks dodgy coming for the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Archibald impressed me. Cheeky bid please Charlie…
  • Options
    Egbo and Campbell combine to get behind the back line but no striker in position for the tap in
    No surprise now May has gone off. We don't have any natural strikers on the pitch 
  • Options
    No surprise now May has gone off. We don't have any natural strikers on the pitch 
    Kanu will come on for the second 60-minutes
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Southbank said:
    I think they both fit it more than Campbell who I think is the biggest loser from our formation change. 

CBT played wing back for Jackson and did pretty well. Also once we have signed a proper LWB then he can be used as an impact sub which he is very effective at. From pre-season so far the wing backs have played very high up so probably a more attacking 3-5-2 than Jackson’s also 

Kirk doesn’t really fit but he did play up front quite well last season against Pompey and burton. I think he will leave though as for that role as May’s backup I’m sure we’d rather use 2 of our own in Kanu and Campbell 
    If we go into the season with Kanu, green as a pepper tree, and Campbell a winger who is still wet behind the ears as the only back up for May we best hope he plays 40+ games next season.

We’d also have Leaburn when fit, and another new striker. So those 2 and May would be ahead of Kanu and TC. I do think Kanu will be fine, he looked good in Holdens 3-5-2 against Peterborough, just needs a partner like Leaburn or someone more physical (new signing) to do that side of the game. 

Don’t think we can expect 2 more strikers to be brought in as that’s a lot of budget on the front line and we still have holes elsewhere in the team to fill 
  • Options
    Getting a good LWB in will balance the team out far better, CBT as we know very dangerous going forward but offers almost nothing defensively (not his fault, never been a defender).
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Ness had a strong half personally, looks sharp again. Agree with others on CBT, Fraser, Thomas. Less convinced by Anderson, but missed the first 10 minutes. Mitchell had a bit of a mare, but first time I've seen him play like that. Everyone gets a dodgy half every now and then.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Southbank said:

I'm with you on this.
    We are rightly proud of our academy, but it's not like we have a crop of game changers or oven ready first teamers.
    I'm still hoping we will bring in 2 or 3 more of the caibre of May.
    The kids should continue to be brought through sensibly and used sparingly.
    Kanu needs to be loaned out to play amongst men.
    Not even sure Leaburn should be an auto pick for every available game yet. There I've said it.

• Options
    Pratley giving it away counter: 1
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Southbank said:

We’d also have Leaburn when fit, and another new striker. So those 2 and May would be ahead of Kanu and TC. I do think Kanu will be fine, he looked good in Holdens 3-5-2 against Peterborough, just needs a partner like Leaburn or someone more physical (new signing) to do that side of the game. 

Don’t think we can expect 2 more strikers to be brought in as that’s a lot of budget on the front line and we still have holes elsewhere in the team to fill 
    I might be wrong here. Kanu hasn’t come out for the second half and we have Jaiyesimi up front. Unless Kanu has a knock or something that to me says he’s maybe not in the plans and will be loaned out. Or hopefully a league 2 scout is here and we’re putting DJ in the shop window 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Second half side…

——————Isted
     ——-Bakrin Hector Elerewe
     Asiimwe Dobson McGrandles Chin
     ——————Payne
     ———-Jaiyesimi Campbell
  • Options