Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Leyton Orient - Pre-Season Friendly.

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Egbo - Payne - Dobson - X
    Fraser
    May - X
    My preference as it stands. 
    That's 8 players from last season...
    hence as it stands. I would happily welcome better players throughout the squad. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Fraser
    May - X
    hence as it stands. I would happily welcome better players throughout the squad. 
    Which of those would you say wont be replaced by better?

I think we're done with bringing in Centre-Backs for example - Genuinely don't see us signing better than Dobson or Fraser, so those five are safe.

Egbo and Payne from that starting eleven are the big two at risk of having to be squad players.
  • Thought El Mizouri looked decent.
  • Are we playing anyone else out there? 
  • Are we playing anyone else out there? 
    Nope thats it now... Gillingham away next week... So from one extreme in setting, to another
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Fraser
    May - X
    I though the "x" were where you wanted a new player?
  • Ferryman said:
    Kirk is once again showing some nice touches whenever he gets on the ball - Saw this from him, this time last year though.
    Thought he was decent Wycombe away early season
    I was at that game and I agree he did look good.
    Unfortunately he never managed to look good again. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    An incomplete squad and youngsters pre-season training workout, played in hot 30 C sun conditions. 

It's all about gradual build up of fitness.
    Strict instructions not to bust a gut, do anything stupid or get injured.

I imagine certain of our players were very happy when they heard that  ;)
  • So what was the final score?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Fraser
    May - X

I think we're done with bringing in Centre-Backs for example - Genuinely don't see us signing better than Dobson or Fraser, so those five are safe.

Egbo and Payne from that starting eleven are the big two at risk of having to be squad players.
    I think Dobson and Fraser are clearly two of our better players.  I also have questions about the two of them playing in the same 3.  They seem to deliver less than the sum of their parts.

Now maybe that's unfair and the right "3rd man" would make a world of difference.  At the moment it's more of a nagging doubt than a serious concern.  Getting that 3 right, which we haven't done properly for 3 seasons now, is a big part of what needs doing.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Fraser
    May - X

I think Dobson and Fraser are clearly two of out better players.  I also have questions about the two of them playing in the same 3.  They seem to deliver less than the sum of their parts.

Now maybe that's unfair and the right "3rd man" would make a world of difference.  At the moment it's more of a nagging doubt than a serious concern.  Getting that 3 right, which we haven't done properly for 3 seasons now, is a big part of what needs doing.
    Last season it was generally Morgan who was "targeted" by fans as the weak link of the 3, which I always thought was slightly unfair, as all 3 have their strengths and flaws.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Maynard-Brewer
    Hector - Ness - Thomas
    Fraser
    May - X

I think Dobson and Fraser are clearly two of out better players.  I also have questions about the two of them playing in the same 3.  They seem to deliver less than the sum of their parts.

I agree with both bits - that they are individually good but also that as a pairing they seem a bit underwhelming. 

I think the issue is that Dobson is good in the deep role but not great at carrying the ball forwards and Fraser is good in the playmaker role off the forwards but not great at tracking back.

So the deep bit is good, the attacking bit is good but going from one to the other (either way) is not good. We need someone who can do that transitional role, either getting the ball off Dobson and driving forwards or tracking back to win second balls that the forward players lose.

On paper someone like a fit and functional McGrandles SHOULD tick that box but we need other options too I think.
  • Has everybody forgotten about our new CB?
  • Redhenry said:
    Has everybody forgotten about our new CB?
    Don't think so, he has been mentioned a few times over the last few pages, all be it under at least two different names 🤣
  • Redhenry said:
    Has everybody forgotten about our new CB?
    No but we have not seem him in action yet either. Hopefully he'll be fit to start by season opening day but we don't know, or how good he'll be if he is.

We need to avoid doing a McGrandles and assuming that a semi-fit/recuperating version is representative of the fully fit version.
  • Leyton Orient supporter that I know wasnt overly impressed with how they played.

Of course saw it as more of a fitness game, but felt they didnt show up at all for the first quarter
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be interesting to see what happens with Mcgrandles, I do think a quality box to box CM is somewhere I could see us possibly spending a fee on. More than happy to see how Mcgrandles does as the PSFs ramp up and see if he can fulfill that role. Thought Payne looked tidy too but I wouldn't want to play him and Fraser in the same midfield , think you'd get overun. 
  • edited July 2023
    I’m not sure what wages McGrandles is on, he was one of our more ‘high profile’ signings last summer (he wasn’t from league 2) so might be on too much to keep around as backup. But I think he could be ideal for backup as he’d cover Dobson’s position and the box-box role
  • We are still at the stage were it is predominantly about fitness. That is probably why both sides were happy playing each other given the opening league game. What I would comment on was this was a far better game for us than the first two with neither Orient or us trying to kick lumps out of each other whilst still keeping it sufficiently competitive.
  • decent run out in the sun, but we'll need to be a lot better on August 5th
  • Glad to hear not headbutts or ankle hacks in a friendly. 

Who was the unused traillist? Interesting role for a triallist, that!