Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 8/7/2023 Match (+post p4) Thread

Comments

• Options
    I thought McGrandles lost it a bit today. He tried to head butt the Darts player. That was anything but a friendly.
    Most violent game of football i have seen at Charlton was the pre-season friendly vs Vicenza. Even Sir Chris Powell completely lost his shit in that one.
    Didn't he get substituted on the advice of the referee?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I thought McGrandles lost it a bit today. He tried to head butt the Darts player. That was anything but a friendly.
    Most violent game of football i have seen at Charlton was the pre-season friendly vs Vicenza. Even Sir Chris Powell completely lost his shit in that one.
    I think he actually got sent off.
  • Options
    Interesting the OS listed both our line ups as 3-5-2 and referred to Asiimwe and CBT as wing backs.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/asiimwe-brace-earns-addicks-victory-dartford
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I think he actually got sent off.
    Not meaning to hijack this thread.

You are right

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football:+NOT+FRIENDLY+BUT+ITAL+DO;+Charlton+3+Vicenza+2.-a064122453

• Options
     Back to back wins 🙄
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I’m not really a fan of CBT, he might have pace but he is so wasteful and the best I would like to see him is on the bench, but not the 1st IX.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    England U21 playing without a recognised number 9, perhaps they are copying us 🤣
    I bet they have more than 1 in their entire 23 man squad though. 
  • Options
    No comments from Holden esp injury updates etc, how far away is Jones for example.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    I’m not really a fan of CBT, he might have pace but he is so wasteful and the best I would like to see him is on the bench, but not the 1st IX.
    Completely agree. I think his all round game is poor. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First visit to Princess Park, very decent ground.

Low key affair, we looked better 2nd half with Asiimwe and CBT giving us width. Fraser looked sharp.

Combine the best of the 1st and 2nd half teams, add two strikers and we'll be OK but not much more.  Still a lot to do IMHO to get top six but yes there is still time.

Some tik-tok 'star' was behind the goal we were attacking 2nd half, no idea of a name.

• Options
    Define "we'll be ok"? Is this in the context of surviving relegation @Henry Irving?
  • Options
    Asiimwe I really like.
    And I actually thought Roddy wasn't too bad. Doesn't mean I want him in the first team just yet mind.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Says something about our squad depth if we're going to be two players short

• Options
    Any thoughts on Kanu, how did he play?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    England U21 playing without a recognised number 9, perhaps they are copying us 🤣
    Is this going to be your newest whine now that 'we won't sign any players', 'we have too many defenders sign a  striker' and 'we won't pay a fee before the takeover goes through' (often in capitals) aren't available anymore?
  • Options
    Interesting listen with Holden, sounds like they’ve done a ton of physical work this week and the players were shattered. Plus Dartford are just a bunch of lump it merchants 
  • Options
    First half not much

Second half much better

Fraser class act

Henry plaýeď weĺl

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Crusty54 said:
    RedChaser said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Roddy one of the worst players I've seen live, including Sunday league. Terrible game.
    He’s got one thing going for him………….. left footed . The fact that he’s out of his depth must be of secondary importance. He couldn’t put a decent cross in and got mugged off for their goal apart from that he had a blinder😏.
    He's actually right footed and helping the side out because of the lack of left backs. He can play across the whole back line.

First game since a great game in the London Cup Final.

Dean sees something in him even if people on here keep digging up the past.
    Interesting, strange that he seems to favour his left foot whenever I’ve watched him. If he can play all across the back four then he obviously feels comfortable with either foot but it wasn’t pretty today. It’s all about opinions and I’m not digging him out in this performance alone. I stick with what I’ve said. If that doesn’t fit in with your love of all things Charlton it’s hard luck. Nothing to do with the past as far as I’m concerned.
  • Options
    You can actually be dual footed to an average/poor standard. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Interesting the OS listed both our line ups as 3-5-2 and referred to Asiimwe and CBT as wing backs.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/asiimwe-brace-earns-addicks-victory-dartford
    I was right by the half way line on our left, in the second half.  CBT went into our half about 3 times in the whole half and was often the most advanced of our players and Roddy basically played as an orthodox left back.

Now if this was square pegs reverting to their "natural" positions, design or both just being put of position I don't know.

Whenever we set up for a restart it was a back 4.  

I suppose it doesn't matter what you call it or if it's symmetrical it's if it works that matters.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    RedChaser said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Roddy one of the worst players I've seen live, including Sunday league. Terrible game.
    He’s got one thing going for him………….. left footed . The fact that he’s out of his depth must be of secondary importance. He couldn’t put a decent cross in and got mugged off for their goal apart from that he had a blinder😏.
    He's actually right footed and helping the side out because of the lack of left backs. He can play across the whole back line.

First game since a great game in the London Cup Final.

Dean sees something in him even if people on here keep digging up the past.
    Interesting, strange that he seems to favour his left foot whenever I’ve watched him. If he can play all across the back four then he obviously feels comfortable with either foot but it wasn’t pretty today. It’s all about opinions and I’m not digging him out in this performance alone. I stick with what I’ve said. If that doesn’t fit in with your love of all things Charlton it’s hard luck. Nothing to do with the past as far as I’m concerned.

I thought he was left footed as well. Either way I really don't think he has the attributes to make it in the top 4 football leagues. Way too slow to be a full back and no way would I want to see him at CB against anything but non-league opposition.
  • Options
    Not too fussed if I never return to be honest.

After a nice time at Welling last week, didn’t really enjoy today.

Maybe the football, maybe the crowd, maybe the nice but soulless stadium, maybe the terrible refreshment service.

For a local game it felt like a proper away match.

• Options
    Any thoughts on Kanu, how did he play?
    Fairly average, didn't stand out
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Is this going to be your newest whine now that 'we won't sign any players', 'we have too many defenders sign a  striker' and 'we won't pay a fee before the takeover goes through' (often in capitals) aren't available anymore?
    Yes it could be. Totally justified I would say. No point just bringing in 1 striker when 2 are injured before the season kicks off.

Or do you think startng the season with just May & Kanu is going to reap rewards ??

(And by the way, I would wholly expect that by Aug 5th we have signed at least 1 more striker, but the point was today's game and England U21's match)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Yes it could be. Totally justified I would say. No point just bringing in 1 striker when 2 are injured before the season kicks off.

Or do you think startng the season with just May & Kanu is going to reap rewards ??

(And by the way, I would wholly expect that by Aug 5th we have signed at least 1 more striker, but the point was today's game and England U21's match)
    Given that we were chasing May for a while before getting it done, and that Leaburn's injury was 1) a bit of a fluke and 2) only just happened (in football terms) you can't really blame anyone for the striker situation.

Before the injury I imagine it was May + Leaburn as first choice, Kanu as back up and maybe a loanee later on for depth. I think that looking for at least one other "senior" striker has probably just been put right at the top of the shopping list but getting one good enough is not an easy job.