Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford vs Charlton Athletic Pre-Season Friendly 8/7/2023 Match (+post p4) Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    12 of this 23 are inexperienced youth teamers. Shows how weak the squad still is.
    Naturally of course the squad is still weak ...... we're short on numbers. 

They'll still be some current players to be moved on and replacements brought in. Plus of course, the 5 loanees - of which we haven't even signed one yet.

Many other League One clubs are in the same position, which as we know is pretty normal for this stage of pre-season.

Right, plus three of our six signings so far have been at CB, a position where we also have some depth in youth as well. That makes I feel particularly imbalanced.

So far I think it's been a solid summer. Bringing Hector and Thomas back, plus signing May, seem like signs of intent. We need FBs, badly. And more forwards. And probably one more quality CM. But you can see this team starting to take shape, especially in the last two weeks. 
  • Options
    Announcement has just gone out that due to the action or some fans, both bars are now closed. 
  • Options
    WTF is going on with those stupid short along the floor corners? Hope we’re not going to persist with this during the season 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Announcement has just gone out that due to the action or some fans, both bars are now closed. 
    Someone had a light ale too many? 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I'd feel sorry for Dartford if their players were trying to two foot our players
  • Options
    Out muscled in the first half. By the usual very physical Dartford game.
    We had only one shot on target to there 2.
  • Options
    Hector, Egbo, Dobson, Campbell and possibly Isted are the only ones from that showing who might make the starting eleven.
  • Options
    Very disjointed game, little to cheer in that first half. As for most of last season the delivery into the box has been poor. Corners, free kicks and crossing from wide areas has universally been garbage 
    Dartford have lunged in a couple of times with reckless challenges.
    Dobbo has been off the pace after he got clattered early on.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Payne’s been lively, Anderson not overly involved but some nice play when he has been. D J not bad but has overplayed at times. Isted looked comfortable, couple of good saves and good distribution with either feet. Defence rarely troubled and good workout with Dartford not afraid to get stuck in resulting in a couple of mass brawls and yellow cards which could easily have been red.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    The worry is how weak our squad depth is again.
    With all due respect there is probably 6-7 players there that should be no where near the first team yet.

I understand we have time and I do think our transfer business has been good so far but we are still 5-8 players off what we need as a bare minimum if we are to go forward and put together a top 6 challenge this season.

We need another ST. That is clearly evident otherwise it is to much pressure on Alfie May not only to score the goals but also stay fit all season. And also puts extra pressure on Leaburn. Based on the past couple of season we can not rely on Chucks to be or stay fit and that is no disrespect to him. I would rather have Chucks as I think he is a cheat code at this level. Even when he is playing 25-30 mins a game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking like a side playing 352 without the players to play it.
  • Options
    The camera works been a bit…………..hit & miss 😳
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Out muscled in the first half. By the usual very physical Dartford game.
    We had only one shot on target to there 2.
    The big lump Wall sensibly targeted Bakrin rather than Hector. Bakrin struggled a bit 

The 2 Dartford bookings were for new signings, a bit too up for it today.
  • Options
    433 Kirk in the middle of the front 3. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Surprised its Kirk down the middle, and Kanu wide then
  • Options
    Looking like a side playing 352 without the players to play it.
    This. We've got a lot of CBs, but one fit senior FB and no natural strikers in the squad who have scored league goals.

Meanwhile we have one of the best wide men in the league in CBT, plus TC who we know can look a threat. We also have Kirk and DJ though we know they may not be here come September. 

3-5-2 seems like Holden's preferred formation, but when we played it last season it meant playing JRS, the best winger in the lead, as a striker, and he wasn't great in those games.

This team last summer was supposed to be built for pressing and possession. I do think the desire to press is still there but I feel like we have another summer and another change of system. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Not an excuse but have to say the pitch looks ropey at best. Ball seems to stick and roll very slowly and it's bobbling pretty badly too.

Ultimately it's been a crap, scrappy game.

• Options
    Only asking any reason heard why Jones and May are not on the team sheet?

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Still 3-5-2 according to Louis Mendez

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Still 3-5-2 according to Louis Mendez

Yeah 3-5-2

........ Mitchell Ness Roddy
    Asiimwe McGrandles Henry Fraser CBT
    ......... Kanu Kirk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starting with no out and out strikers. Playing for a draw ?
  • Options
    Nice worked goal that.
  • Options
    Assimwe looking very lively opens the scoring. We look much more dangerous this half
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Only asking any reason heard why Jones and May are not on the team sheet?

Jones was recovering from a minor operation when we signed him. Assume he is still injured. May I assume will play in Spain and as he only signed a day ago maybe this was too soon.
  • Options
    Lovely worked goal played across the their box right to left Fraser fed CBT who crossed for Asiimwe to head home 👌.
  • Options
    Nice goal headed in by Asiimwe. CBT with the cross for a Wingback to Wingback goal.