Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    3m, no less
  • Options
    Wonder if May would be happy going up to Huddersfield seeing as he and his family were a little homesick at Cheltenham (Pretty sure that was the case anyway). That might not matter if he was a lesser player, but considering the crucial role he played last season and being one of only about two or maybe three players that gave anywhere near enough effort, it might be enough for the Club to put the matter to bed and him to stay. 
  • Options
    So that's Corey Blackett-Taylor, George Dobson and Alfie May?  They were the three I'd have kept.  Jeez, give me strength.  
    Yep or atleast build around them and add players as good or better to get out the league but of course these players are the problem etc,we need a new style... 
  • Options
    I want him to stay.
    If the fans top three picks leave the club this summer the club had better win promotion by next summer.
    Season ticket secured, but now stressed.
  • Options
    I fear that Jones is trying to soften up the fan base by saying that he had to make many unpopular decisions at Luton in the early days, but now, looking back, Luton fans would now say that he was correct in taking those bold decisions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally think if he stays he will be captain next year. 

I would be surprised if NJ wants him gone but ultimately every player has a price.
  • Options
    Personally think if he stays he will be captain next year. 

I would be surprised if NJ wants him gone but ultimately every player has a price.
    Correct, but due to Alfie’s age and limited experience at a higher level the amount we could realistically get from Huddersfield (or anyone else who would be interested) is going to be significantly lower than his value to us. I think we’ll keep him, and it would be an astonishingly bad decision to let him go.
  • Options
    I am quite surprised at the lack of alarm among the fanbase regarding May. It is looking like this could be a real goer now, with Huddersfield going back in with a second bid, I.e. we have likely told them he is for sale, but not at the fee they offered. 

Are we becoming too trusting again? I personally think 1.5 million (as some have suggested) is a pathetic fee if offered. Could we bring in a player of Mays calibre with that money? Would it be a risk if attempted to? There are so many question marks around the potential sale of May. 

What we currently have at our disposal, is a striker that is almost a certainty to score 20 goals in a season. If you're fighting for promotion he will increase your chances (I suspect Derby or Oxford would have managed it a lot easier with him) if you want to stay up, his goals are crucial, as we ourselves found out. Unfortunately for Cheltenham, so did they. He was the main difference in us being a league 1 team next season, and undoubtedly if Cheltenham had kept him, they'd have had a much higher chance of staying up.

I just think it's far too great a risk and to me, it will make me question the people calling the shots further, and potentially even Jones. How can you justify, after such a poor season, selling arguably our only top calibre player, to a team who will be fighting for promotion, and imo, will almost certainly guarantee them top6 if we are to sell. 

We were so cynical towards old owners on player sales, for players who were a lot less valuable imho. Why is the mood so relaxed? 

I've made some humorous jokes over the May talk, but I genuinely think it would be an absolute disgrace to sell him. We are far better off with him than without, and I fear we will not be able to replace him with such a low fee..
    This with bells on
    The hardest thing to find in football is a goal scorer. We’ve got the best one in the league and we’re going to sell him…to a rival?!
    Not only that but we’ve got a broken squad that needs a massive turnover of players. It seems lunacy to make Alfie May part of that already worrying problem. 
  • Options
    If he is going 1) can only assume we are going with 3 up top rather than 2 - 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-3 have become very popular formations and/or 2) the smoke around a less than warm relationship between NJ and AM may be true. 

To be honest, our squad has underperformed for 3-4 years now since coming back down to League One and so, while I have appreciated May, Dobbo, CBT, Leaburn, Kanu, Small more than others it is fair to say we need to do things radically different to deliver the outcome we are looking for. I would like to see more goals from May in a CAFC shirt, but if the trade off on that is a better chance of promotion, I would take that. 

I have a lot of faith in NJ to get this right as long as he is appropriately backed with budget. 
  • Options
    I
  • Options
    Effective strikers are the most rare human resource, at every level. In business any idiot can get rid of people, often for no better reason than "they don't get on". And then they discover that the hard part is replacing that employee with someone equally as effective.

I've been 100% pro Jones up to now. However at the back of my mind I'm a bit worried about the "fundamentalist" aspect of his personality. Curbs wasn't a fundamentalist. He was a pragmatist. His success with us was due in no small part to his understanding that for years we didn't have much money, and as he said so many times, "we've just got to get on with it". It meant working with what he had. He had to see Robert Lee sold and replaced him with Robbo who had neither Lee's skill nor his pace. But he had the attitude and came to epitomise the strength of Curbs earlier teams. 

I don't think this rumour is built on nothing. It feeds off the way Jones played or didn't play Alfie in the latter games of last season. I was prepared to believe that Jones was experimenting with the team to understand better how all the parts work, but Curbs and Brownie raised eyebrows at the time. I'm also a bit confused about what exactly Alfie doesn't bring to the game and the club. "Good character"? Seems by all accounts to pass the Curbs test. Many times I saw signs he was looking after and encouraging the youngsters. Jones wants "a pressing game"? Maybe I'm showing my ignorance of modern tactics, but are you telling me Alfie doesn't press? Not how it looked in, for example his debut against Orient when chasing down apparently lost causes was his trademark. If that's what Jones wants, he does a lot more "pressing" than Clive Mendonca ever did. Too selfish/doesn't make assists? Well leaving aside the fact that selfishness is a natural essential strikers' trait, I don't remember that many occasions when he tried a shot when a player whom he could trust (as opposed to Freddie Ladapo🤣) was in a better position. 

Maybe I do Jones a grave disservice. I really hope so. But I think it is not totally irrational to wonder, given that both Jones and our new owners are unproven.
    I really don’t think Jones is unproven by any stretch of the imagination - in fact quiet the opposite.
  • Options
    The current situation makes me think about the opaque misgivings that @bobmunro hinted at from when Jones was at Stoke City.
    I want Alfie to stay unless an overwhelming case is made for him to depart, and automatic promotion can be guaranteed 😏
  • Options
    I'm paraphrasing what is already known, but Curbs always says, "Never take goals out of the team" or "Goals is the most important thing" or something similar. He was less than enthusiastic about CBT going, even though his main role was as provider.

May may not be what Jones wants, but if he's not good enough, then our entire squad (based on skill, attitude and fitness) should get dumped in the channel.

If May is sold I hope there is a replacement with as many goals last season, at at least League One or higher, to replace him. Or we sign the best wingers and midfielders around, to supply the lumps up front that we will replace him with. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get all this unfettered in Jones we trust stuff.

Honest truth is although he had great success at Luton, he was a dismal failure at his last 2 clubs.

If he sells May through choice - and not because the board are pressuring him to take the money - then I think it is madness.

May guarantees you 20 goals and from what ive seen seems a good bloke to have around the place. And having finally got one of these strikers, we are just going to let him go?

I hope Jones knows what he is doing. If he mucks this up  his managerial career not just here but more widely is in the balance.

I think its more to the point that we have no choice in trusting him 
  • Options
    I'm paraphrasing what is already known, but Curbs always says, "Never take goals out of the team" or "Goals is the most important thing" or something similar. He was less than enthusiastic about CBT going, even though his main role was as provider.

May may not be what Jones wants, but if he's not good enough, then our entire squad (based on skill, attitude and fitness) should get dumped in the channel.

If May is sold I hope there is a replacement with as many goals last season, at at least League One or higher, to replace him. Or we sign the best wingers and midfielders around, to supply the lumps up front that we will replace him with. 
    I think it is a basic rule but it does feel real that some people in the game don't get it like they expect players who never score to suddenly do so. Having said that, I have faith in Jones and am waiting to see what he does. 
  • Options
    Couldn't Jones pretend to like may and still buy another striker who scores goals and puts himself about abit and we have better chances of winning games with a better squad 
  • Options
    edited June 16
    If he is going 1) can only assume we are going with 3 up top rather than 2 - 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-3 have become very popular formations and/or 2) the smoke around a less than warm relationship between NJ and AM may be true. 

To be honest, our squad has underperformed for 3-4 years now since coming back down to League One and so, while I have appreciated May, Dobbo, CBT, Leaburn, Kanu, Small more than others it is fair to say we need to do things radically different to deliver the outcome we are looking for. I would like to see more goals from May in a CAFC shirt, but if the trade off on that is a better chance of promotion, I would take that. 

I have a lot of faith in NJ to get this right as long as he is appropriately backed with budget. 

Radically different would be to build a squad,  not sell our best players every single summer.  We are stuck in this loop where we sell, sell, sell and continue to fall further and people wonder why.
    Sure, every team is a selling team for the right price, we won't get that for May for reasons already churned over too many times.  

People talk of balancing the books and I used to think that was a fine idea and it is certainly very noble but we lose probably £10M a year so whatever we get for Alfie is a small dent.  

What do Rodwell, Methven, Scott etc all earn each year... Probably what we will get for Alfie May. So selling him pays their wages is one way to look at it.
  • Options
    This summer we had the opportunity to build on our existing players with Dodson, B-Taylor and May.
    A strong possibility all three are out of the club in four months.
  • Options
    Steven81 said:
    Couldn't Jones pretend to like may and still buy another striker who scores goals and puts himself about abit and we have better chances of winning games with a better squad 
    It’s not as easy as that. Strikers who have a consistent track record of scoring goals, not just one season wonders (remember Ajose), that have done it regularly at the level we’re playing at and are not targets for Championship clubs are incredibly rare. In fact, there might only be one striker in the division that meets that criteria, and he plays for us. That’s why it would be nuts to let him go to another L1 team.