Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Isted Signs on a 2yr deal

Comments

• Options
    NJ’s signed Isted as a back up at Luton, don’t think he got much game time. So based on that 100% another keeper will be coming in. 
  • Options
    Simon Sluga?

• Options
    I'm in the minority here but I actually think AMB is a better keeper all round. Isted doesn't really save much whereas AMB does make good saves. 
    I think it would be sensible to give AMB the jersey with this current defensive set up 
  • Options
    I'm in the minority here but I actually think AMB is a better keeper all round. Isted doesn't really save much whereas AMB does make good saves. 
    I think it would be sensible to give AMB the jersey with this current defensive set up 
    I would be surprised if he even gets in a League 2 side next season
  • Options
    Also, 'Isted doesn't really save much' - did you not see the Portsmouth game? 
  • Options
    AMB is a playground goalie for me atm. He's still living from the hype from bloody Rob Elliot making him come across like the next best thing. 

His lack of command, voice and authority led to such soft goals and a defence that had no idea what their goalie fancied doing.  

It's a shame as he's an academy lad, but we need to be realistic. 
  • Options
    The Lincoln keeper a few weeks ago was outstanding against us (I know it was one game).
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Christian Walton is out of contract this summer and would be a perfect replacement.  Sell either of the existing two as they are much of a muchness to me.

While at it Sam Field, Connor Ogilvie, Stephen Humphreys, Marcus McGuane, Herbie Kane, Joe Powell, Femi Azeez and Josh Sims are also all out of contract. Wouldn't mind a few of them.
  • Options
    Isted for me keeps the position if only by virtue of being less bad rather than actually being good.

A new no.1 keeper needs to be right at the top of any summer shopping list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Simon Sluga?

He's in Bulgaria now, the other one who is still at Luton is James Shea, 32 now though
  • Options
    Christian Walton is out of contract this summer and would be a perfect replacement.  Sell either of the existing two as they are much of a muchness to me.

While at it Sam Field, Connor Ogilvie, Stephen Humphreys, Marcus McGuane, Herbie Kane, Joe Powell, Femi Azeez and Josh Sims are also all out of contract. Wouldn't mind a few of them.
    To Sell something you need a buyer , no one is buying either of them 
  • Options

Good keeper. And we do like to sign a player from Ipswich every window!
  • Options

I'm always surprised who we manage to find a buyer for, Charlie Kirk excepted (the third time).

Someone would take at least one of them on loan, I don't doubt.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    AMB is not a better all round keeper. He can't do anything well aside from saves
    Which is one thing more than Isted. I really can't see anything that he does well and as for someone saying that he is organising the defence better, I think that is wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    AMB is not a better all round keeper. He can't do anything well aside from saves
    Which is one thing more than Isted. I really can't see anything that he does well and as for someone saying that he is organising the defence better, I think that is wishful thinking.
    It’s easy to look for other reasons why the results have improved but you can’t dismiss the fact that it does coincide with Isted ousting AMB. Obviously it’s not solely that but it’s a fact nonetheless.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It’s easy to look for other reasons why the results have improved but you can’t dismiss the fact that it does coincide with Isted ousting AMB. Obviously it’s not solely that but it’s a fact nonetheless.
    I just haven't noticed him doing any organising of the defence.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Our defence has been better ever since Hector got injured and stopped playing
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Dillon Phillips? He’ll be on the bench for Rotherham in league 1 next year.
    He’ better than we have currently 
    Was better. Has 5 seasons of getting splinters in his arse halted his progress
  • Options
    Leuth said:

He was consistently one of the better-marked players immediately before getting injured. I think the change of manager is a bigger deal probably
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Lincoln keeper a few weeks ago was outstanding against us (I know it was one game).
    Apart from having weak wrists which allowed our goal
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Surely you don’t actually believe that? The last three games of Apples (without Hector) we conceded 2, 2 and 3.

I don’t think Hector was the problem. I think it was a combination of bad defensive coaching and Ash being too meek in goal.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think one big point of comparison with AMB is his judgment. We've given up a fair few goals (and he's received a fair few concussions) because AMB has absolutely insane decision-making. The number of times he's come tearing out of his box to claim a ball that isn't his or close down an attacker that doesn't need his attention is extensive and we've conceded goals needlessly when we've semi-defended a chance but it's fallen to an attacker and he's put it in the net because AMB is in the stands somewhere for some reason. Similarly some of AMB's positioning is bonkers. There's quite a few goals we've conceded with him where the shot isn't up to much but it goes in. You wonder how and then you realise Ash moved to the right of his goal when the ball was over there and then just never remembered to move again when the ball did. You could pull out a gun and shoot it at AMB from a yard away and he'd probably catch the bullet, but anything that involves him having to think typically ends badly for our scoreline. He's an instinctive shot-stopper but he can't do anything else well. All this is stuff we don't really worry so much about with Isted. I think that's why the defence is visibly calmer with him there even if he's not constantly yelling and dragging people into position. It makes me nervous just watching AMB, standing there like an 8 year old whose neighbour's poodle is running at him, it's no wonder the defence aren't settled
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I just haven't noticed him doing any organising of the defence.
    I think Jones has.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    NJ’s signed Isted as a back up at Luton, don’t think he got much game time. So based on that 100% another keeper will be coming in. 
    Interestingly Lloyd Jones and Louie Watson also fall into this category. Tyreeq Bakinson would also have been on Luton's books as a youngster when Jones was there 

With all of them NJ obviously rated them enough to sign them, but none of them played regularly for him.

Apart from Watson all of them have played for us over the last few games. Does the level that Luton got to influence how much they played? In L1 maybe he rates them.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    I don’t rate Isted at all. AMB improved us, initially, when he came in for Isted when Isted was injured at the start of the season. Then the entire team’s organization and confidence evaporated as the Appleton effect took hold and AMB’s formed suffered badly in that towards the end.

One of the things that deserted AMB was his decision making but Isted has been just as bad but he’s got away with a few. There’was cross he came for against, I think, Lincoln that he should have been nowhere near but he fortunately dropped it out for a corner. And against, I think, Portsmouth he went chasing out by the corner flag when he should have been nowhere near it and again got away with it. Then there was Northampton.

It’s obviously an exaggeration to say Isted makes no saves, but I haven’t really seen him save anything for us that I wouldn’t expect every keeper to save. And his attempt to stop that shot vs. Cheltenham was pretty weak. 

Theres really very little between him and AMB. AMB did need to come out of the side but I think he’s marginally better of the two, when he’s confident and not in two minds about all his decisions.

I think the improved coaching and defensive shape is why the defence looks so much better, not because the goalie has changed. 

Also, almost every player has improved under NJ, why could that not be true of AMB if he were to be given another chance?

Isted has made two errors in two games that have cost us goals. AMB would be getting crucified if he’d done the same. You can tell NJ is not happy with Isted so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if AMB does come back in this weekend. 

• Options
    I don’t rate Isted at all. AMB improved us, initially, when he came in for Isted when Isted was injured at the start of the season. Then the entire team’s organization and confidence evaporated as the Appleton effect took hold and AMB’s formed suffered badly in that towards the end.

One of the things that deserted AMB was his decision making but Isted has been just as bad but he’s got away with a few. There’was cross he came for against, I think, Lincoln that he should have been nowhere near but he fortunately dropped it out for a corner. And against, I think, Portsmouth he went chasing out by the corner flag when he should have been nowhere near it and again got away with it. Then there was Northampton.

It’s obviously an exaggeration to say Isted makes no saves, but I haven’t really seen him save anything for us that I wouldn’t expect every keeper to save. And his attempt to stop that shot vs. Cheltenham was pretty weak. 

Theres really very little between him and AMB. AMB did need to come out of the side but I think he’s marginally better of the two, when he’s confident and not in two minds about all his decisions.

I think the improved coaching and defensive shape is why the defence looks so much better, not because the goalie has changed. 

Also, almost every player has improved under NJ, why could that not be true of AMB if he were to be given another chance?

Isted has made two errors in two games that have cost us goals. AMB would be getting crucified if he’d done the same. You can tell NJ is not happy with Isted so I wouldn’t be totally surprised if AMB does come back in this weekend. 

Spot on.
  • Options

That's an interesting perspective. I thought they both started poorly. AMB had ended the previous season looking questionable and then was bad enough at the start of the season that he was dropped for Isted. Isted was a bit shaky at first but had just started to look like he was settling in when he got injured. We definitely improved when Isted came in for AMB. We won one lost 4 with one clean sheet with AMB and then won two lost one drew with one clean sheet with Isted. We went through a little phase of improved form after that but I think that's more attributable to Chuks than either of the keepers. What is notable is that AMB kept another clean sheet against an abject Reading in October and then didn't keep another one again before being dropped in February. Our next one was against Pompey that month, which was Isted's 4th game back. They've each kept two now, though Isted has done it in fewer games.

What you can take from that is fairly limited, other than that neither have covered themselves in glory this season. There's been 5 different managers across those games, about a billion different defensive line-ups and you can't really attribute too much of our form to the keeper. What I do find interesting is that Holden started with AMB and then dropped him for the Oxford game. He did lose his mind a little bit for that game and then was gone so who knows, but Pearce chose Isted for his one game. He wasn't afraid to completely change formation so I don't think it was just a caretaker going for consistency. Appleton then also picked Isted as his keeper until he was injured, Fleming kept AMB in for his two games where he very much game the impression of a man desperately not trying to do anything exciting (REG in midfield. Help.) and then Jones has chosen Isted as his man as well. It seems like the permanent managers have all gone with Isted in the end which either tells you that Isted is better or AMB is worse. Either way though, I've seen Isted play 12 league games, conceding 14 goals and I'm not sure yet if he's good enough. I've seen AMB play 51 league games, conceding 79 goals and I'm pretty well decided that he isn't.
  • Options

Barnsley like Isted and their keeper is only on loan. They won’t want him if they go up but if they don’t I could see them interested. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Isted for me keeps the position if only by virtue of being less bad rather than actually being good.

A new no.1 keeper needs to be right at the top of any summer shopping list.
    Yep. And I would hope the tapping up has already begun!

You can't wait around for transfer windows to open to start things moving when buying a decent keeper.