Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Isted Signs on a 2yr deal

edited June 2023 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Harry Isted.
The 26-year-old has put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal, with the option of a third year, with the Addicks and will officially join the club following the expiration of his contract at Luton Town.
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-harry-isted-addick

Comments

• Options
    This can't be right. Not after all the bed wetting over us having to play the whole season with just one keeper.
  • Options
    Gotta think he’s coming in to be the number one. Looks a good player but also not the most experienced for a 26 year old. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Wonder if this means AMB is being sold. I wouldn't object 
    That would make it keeper number six that has left us in a year. We would then need to sign someone of comparable ability to Isted as back up because, apart from an 18 year old, we have no one
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That would make it keeper number six that has left us in a year. We would then need to sign someone of comparable ability to Isted as back up because, apart from an 18 year old, we have no one
    True, but doubt AMB will want to sit on the bench. 
  • Options
    Good signing. GK a position we've been historically strong in, bar the season with MacG as number one. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    This can't be right. Not after all the bed wetting over us having to play the whole season with just one keeper.
    there was no bed wetting, there was one comment and that was tongue in cheek. Welcome to the madhouse Harry. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Croydon said:
    Off_it said:
    Was there even a single comment that said that?
    Yes. People were wetting themselves that we were down to one keeper and saying they hoped it meant we were signing another. I exaggerated the bit about it being the plan to have just one keeper all season to highlight how ridiculous that would be, even for us.

Got it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome to the club Harry... All the best
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    there was no bed wetting, there was one comment and that was tongue in cheek. Welcome to the madhouse Harry. 
    Oh I bet his bed was wet!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Is this a wind up 🤔
    Harvey James Duke Isted has come to Cafc to replace Jojo Woolacott.

Wish 'Harry' well despite only playing 22 League matches by the age of 26. 
  • Options
    Strange to announce this on a Saturday
  • Options
    Kone not part of the match day squad now.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    It isn't a huge statement but he's looked pretty impressive on admittedly limited showings, and at least one "big" club was also showing interest which is a positive sign.

And if (God forbid) he really was a one season wonder, AMB is at the very least a competent keeper at this level so we won't be any further back than we currently are.
    Agree with this. Either Isted is better than AMB and we improve or Isted pushes AMB to the next level as #1 and we improve. Worst case, as you say, is we have AMB as number 1 at the same level, and that wouldn't be an issue at all. The defence that lines up in front of them is a more crucial factor in our chances at promotion.
  • Options
    Strange to announce this on a Saturday
    Not really, it’s a 24/7 business these days 
  • Options
    As always, best to wait and see him play in a Charlton shirt before passing judgement.  No doubt he will be written off by some after 1 game.  

I’m not convinced by AMB, hopefully Isted will be an upgrade. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

He is only 18. Very few keepers of that age are because their host club prefer keepers to learn and make their mistakes on loan elsewhere. Pope joined us at the same age and it took five loan periods and 'til the age of 23 before he became a regular with us. The same thing happened to our other two international keepers, Elliot and Randolph. Any reserve keeper has to be ready to play in the fist team.  
  • Options
    As long as he doesn't let any goals in he should be fine. 
    Obviously he will have to score at least 5 to keep some people happy as well. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We can get an emergency loan to cover that eventuality. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Will be interesting to see how this goes when we re sign Dijksteel
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Good. Yes he's got potential but relying on a teenager in a highly pressurised position like GK is a recipe for disaster. By all means let's bring him slowly, he can train with the senior squad and maybe get some cup games but I'd rather not be counting on him to be our sole back up.
  • Options
    Meh.
  • Options
    Completely fine with this. Got very good reviews from Barnsley fans , kept their regular keeper Brad Collins out the side even when both were fit. Hasn't played loads of games but that seems pretty standard for someone that's been a bench option for most of his career. 

Fullbacks next please.