Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Isted Signs on a 2yr deal

Comments

• Options
    Looks a sensible bit of business as back up for AMB, who is a fine young goalie and is only likely to get better in his second season.

Kone has always impressed me in the Under 18 games and looks a very good medium and longer term prospect. Does anyone know if he (and Patrick Casey, for that matter) has signed a pro deal yet ?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Good keeper, bit of a point to prove. Think he'll probably be number one next season. Hoping we can get Edun over the line next on loan.
    That based on anything or just a personal idea?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Kone not part of the match day squad now.

He is only 18. Very few keepers of that age are because their host club prefer keepers to learn and make their mistakes on loan elsewhere. Pope joined us at the same age and it took five loan periods and 'til the age of 23 before he became a regular with us. The same thing happened to our other two international keepers, Elliot and Randolph. Any reserve keeper has to be ready to play in the fist team.  
    I agree. Until we signed Isted the next in line was Kone following the departure of Woolacott.
  • Options
    I suspect the player Holden sent that picture to was Isted. 
  • Options
    Not the most exciting first signing but I am pleased with this, a position I believe we needed improvement on after last season and we have nicked a player one of our promotion rivals were keen on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    People hyping up AMB a lot on here, he's decent and young but we're not beating Barnsley to signing a keeper who has already been there by offering him a deal to be the backup keeper
    I dont think anyone has a divine right to come here saying i have to be number one
    especially someone who has played so few league games overall

clearly holden has sold his vision and the club and he has bought into it

no doubt holden will have said something along the lines of i have AMB now its on you both to prove and show me in pre season who i should go with as Number 1 

True but you would have to think he (Istead) is definitely backing/believing himself to earn the No.1 shirt. After a breakthrough season the last thing he wants or needs is to be back on the bench.

If he takes and keeps the GK position on merit, great.
  • Options
    The trouble we have had with Goalies in recent seasons is very few of them are Keepers !
  • Options
    Welcome Harry, hope you do well.
    Promising that he was wanted by Barnsley who are clearly decent at this level and reports he had a great game in the play off final.  Slightly worrying that at age 26 he has played so little.
  • Options
    I have sometimes pondered how competition between goalkeepers works.
    There always seems to be less churn in that position than anywhere else in a team.
    For example, do you play one for three games expecting at least two clean sheets, but if there are none you then play the other guy?
    Is a simple data based system made more complicated by numbers of saves in a defeat, one great save that keeps a score 1-0 at the end of a game?
    Worldy goals conceded, penalty saves?
    I dunno, but it is a bit of a mystery to me as to why a keeper is dropped or kept playing. I might be missing the clear reasons.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    People hyping up AMB a lot on here, he's decent and young but we're not beating Barnsley to signing a keeper who has already been there by offering him a deal to be the backup keeper
    I dont think anyone has a divine right to come here saying i have to be number one
    especially someone who has played so few league games overall

clearly holden has sold his vision and the club and he has bought into it

no doubt holden will have said something along the lines of i have AMB now its on you both to prove and show me in pre season who i should go with as Number 1 

I think Isted is already number one in Holdens mind. The club have pursued the player and have been able and willing to offer a better package and vision than Barnsley who were quite keen on him for obvious reasons. The goalkeeping position wasn’t an obvious priority and yet we’ve made a GK our first signing. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    thenewbie said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Good keeper, bit of a point to prove. Think he'll probably be number one next season. Hoping we can get Edun over the line next on loan.
    That based on anything or just a personal idea?
    Definitely interested. We almost got him over the line in January. Holden rates him.
    I remembered him from January but good to hear that we are back in. Going for a player from a higher league is a good sign of intent if nothing else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm really hoping we get Edun, I was disappointed we didn't get him in January.
    I also want Seesegnon back as well....on a perm.
  • Options
    He's welcome and I hope he settles and enjoys his time at the Club and that we're successful when he's in the team. Being an average L1 outfit, I'm not expecting world beaters through the door, but I do want to see players trying their best no matter how limited their ability or how much they cost.
  • Options
    Signing players at the better end of league one with a smattering of experienced players surplus to Championship clubs for me is the key. That if guided correctly should put you in and around the top six. 
  • Options
    In an ideal world we won’t see him play in that AMB presumably starts as first choice doesn’t have any injuries or drops a major clanger. 

GKs are unique in only one can play regular football. We won’t and don’t see the day to day impact in training. 
  • Options
    all the best Harry
  • Options
    clive said:
    Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the signing of goalkeeper Harry Isted.
    The 26-year-old has put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal, with the option of a third year, with the Addicks and will officially join the club following the expiration of his contract at Luton Town.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/done-deal-harry-isted-addick

No chance we can't afford his wages etc etc.
  • Options
    Funny how people think he's great after just 4 months in League 1 but think May or Stockton are "one season wonders" after they score 20+ goals. 

First of many I hope.
    Do I remember a Charlton Keeper that had only played a handful of games before dipping his hands into the premiership?
    He had only played 14 league games for us 
    and kept 9 clean sheets on the spin.

Not saying Harry is going to take the league by storm. But anything is possible.Now what was the name of the goalkeeper that asked for a game for Charlton .

SASA ILIC
  • Options
    I'm really hoping we get Edun, I was disappointed we didn't get him in January.
    I also want Seesegnon back as well....on a perm.
    Sessegnon has been released by Fulham so would 100% be a perm if he comes back. Wouldn't mind seeing him back either.