Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lineker and Attenborough

Comments

• Options
    So there will be no studio pundits on Saturday's MOTD
  • Options
    The thing about this is Lineker has never hidden his political beliefs before and has regularly tweeted about them. Clearly the Nazi connotations of this latest one are deemed a step too far for those up the hierarchy. 

Personally find him the worst thing on MOTD but this is all way OTT. Plus side for Lineker is he can spend a night off looking at himself in the mirror.

You’re clutching at straws there. The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Nope. What a shit show. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Don't care too much about his political viewpoints. As is plainly obvious reading the previous comments, most have them, some extreme, others not so.

I for one will be pleased to see him removed permanently from MOTD, as he doesn't warrant the exhorbitant £1.3 million paypacket he receives from the TV Licence payer for football punditry.
    Can't be too difficult to find someone who will turn out to be an improvement, and who comes a lot cheaper!

I also prefer Golden Wonder to Walkers, must add, other brands are available!

• Options
    There are two separate issues here. One concerning whether you agree with Lineker's opinions or not (or indeed the Government's plan).

The other though is about free speech, and how much a notable BBC name, but not a journalist can say. Off air. Worth noting that Jeremy Clarkson has tweeted support for Lineker and Ian Wright's boycott.

The question I would ask the BBC bigwigs, is that if Lineker had tweeted support for the government, would they still have suspended him for expressing political views?
    On the second point the BBC have already shown that it is possible to express political views, Lineker himself was allowed to publicly criticise the Qatar world cup on the BBCs own coverage. So clearly a precedent is set that it's fine to call out political agendas by other countries but not our own. But to add to this this week the criticism came from his own Twitter and not on a BBC outlet so even more bemusing that he isn't allowed to say anything.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Nope. What a shit show. 
    Good .. won’t have to listen to average players like Richards …this is the way forward just the football 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this thread says more about the BBC.Its frankly a dinosaur in a digital age.Its also a shame that Attenborough, an absolute icon,can be compared in any way to a very average overpaid sports presenter.

Belongs on the house of commons thread

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Leuth said:
    Don't lock the thread and relegate the discussion to a stupid sub-board only read by nerds. I want to see what people actually think of this

Regardless of whether you agree with what Lineker has to say, he's breached impartiality rules and decided to stick by it.

Reckon he was planning on jacking it in anyway, and thought he'd go out with a bit of publicity for his next gig, as I doubt he'll be completing frozen out of mainstream media, as other have been. 

GB News = 1000/1
    Channel 4 = 1/2
    Charlton Live = 50/1

But so did Lord Sugar do when he tweeted in December about the strikes. But the BBC did nothing about that did they? 
    Did you read the Sugar tweets though? The one I saw barely made sense, so maybe his illiteracy did him a favour.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Gribbo said:
    The thing about this is Lineker has never hidden his political beliefs before and has regularly tweeted about them. Clearly the Nazi connotations of this latest one are deemed a step too far for those up the hierarchy. 

Personally find him the worst thing on MOTD but this is all way OTT. Plus side for Lineker is he can spend a night off looking at himself in the mirror.

You’re clutching at straws there. The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement. 
    Personally think that comparing policies to tackle the current migrant crisis, to what happened in Nazi Germany is extremely crass, when they're clearly nothing like it.

He compared the language that was being used and he was right. 

He said - "The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    IanJRO said:
    This will probably get deleted by the mods but I am absolutely fuming and not because I care about Gary Linkear

1) He is a sports presenter so as I understand it hasn't broken impartiality rules as they don't apply in his case.

2) What he said was 100% on the money. We are approaching Enoch Powell territory but no one seems to give a shit

3) The BBC are actively caving to right wing populism. Combine this with the the shit that gets printed by Murdoch press and all the social media fake news, what chance do we have.

Seems tolerance, compassion and general decency are truly a thing of the past.

Maybe a different and perhaps more accurate perspective...? I just read this elsewhere:

"Could somebody please explain to Mr L the difference between a refugee, (Absolutely terrified, wearing only the clothes they stand up in and often starving, having escaped a warzone), and an economic migrant (Of fighting age, wearing Nike clothes and trainers, sporting the latest haircut, and carrying an Apple phone, mainly from Albania, where there is currently no war being fought).
    Any evidence for that?
  • Options
    Could always get Pat Sharp to step in - he’s at a loose end. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    IanJRO said:
    This will probably get deleted by the mods but I am absolutely fuming and not because I care about Gary Linkear

1) He is a sports presenter so as I understand it hasn't broken impartiality rules as they don't apply in his case.

2) What he said was 100% on the money. We are approaching Enoch Powell territory but no one seems to give a shit

3) The BBC are actively caving to right wing populism. Combine this with the the shit that gets printed by Murdoch press and all the social media fake news, what chance do we have.

Maybe a different and perhaps more accurate perspective...? I just read this elsewhere:

"Could somebody please explain to Mr L the difference between a refugee, (Absolutely terrified, wearing only the clothes they stand up in and often starving, having escaped a warzone), and an economic migrant (Of fighting age, wearing Nike clothes and trainers, sporting the latest haircut, and carrying an Apple phone, mainly from Albania, where there is currently no war being fought).
    Was it as stupid and ill informed in the place you read it as it is here, Major? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Uboat said:
    Gribbo said:

Personally think that comparing policies to tackle the current migrant crisis, to what happened in Nazi Germany is extremely crass, when they're clearly nothing like it.

He compared the language that was being used and he was right. 

He said - "The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement."

Am I wrong?
  • Options
    Commentators now threatening to boycott tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    IanJRO said:

Was it The Daily Mail? It sounds exactly the kind of propaganda they would use. 
  • Options
    Campbell has been ripping them apart all week. Love it. 
    To be fair it was a perfectly legitimate point to make. I'm sure Campbell would support Lineker anyway, but he also has a direct commercial relationship with him, so it wouldn't have been correct to not mention it.
    And it’s more important to
    mention the boss of the BBC has given Boris Johnson money. 
    But everyone with the slightest interest in politics would have known that already, whereas most wouldn't know that Campbell and Rory Byrne's very successful podcast was produced by Lineker's company. Thus the BBC journalist's comment was relevant.

If he had brought up Campbell's involvement in say the Iraq war, then that wouldn't have been relevant. 

Sorry but I think this is bollocks. Campbell didnt force himself onto that broadcast. The BBC invited him. Whats the point of doing that if the first thing you do is point out a business connection before Campbell has even had time to say anything.Thats not a question. Thats the interviewer seeking to imply that the person they invited on, is biased, Its batshit. And it is not BBC behaviour.

And its Rory *Stewart* by the way. Who is a Tory.
    That was a typo, as I know he's a Tory. 

And, I don't even support the BBC's actions over Lineker, but Campbell has been all over the media today, so I imagine he very much made himself available to all the media outlets, he wasn't dragged kicking and screaming to say something on the BBC. 
  • Options
    BBC Director General Tim Davie, who was previously a Conservative Party candidate and Deputy Chairman of the Hammersmith and Fulham Conservative party, says that forcing Gary Lineker to step aside is about "delivering on impartiality"
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!