Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lineker and Attenborough

Comments

• Options
    As previously pointed out, I’m not sure why this one isn’t on the House of Commoners section. 
  • Options
    Major said:
    IanJRO said:
    This will probably get deleted by the mods but I am absolutely fuming and not because I care about Gary Linkear

1) He is a sports presenter so as I understand it hasn't broken impartiality rules as they don't apply in his case.

2) What he said was 100% on the money. We are approaching Enoch Powell territory but no one seems to give a shit

3) The BBC are actively caving to right wing populism. Combine this with the the shit that gets printed by Murdoch press and all the social media fake news, what chance do we have.

Seems tolerance, compassion and general decency are truly a thing of the past.

Maybe a different and perhaps more accurate perspective...? I just read this elsewhere:

"Could somebody please explain to Mr L the difference between a refugee, (Absolutely terrified, wearing only the clothes they stand up in and often starving, having escaped a warzone), and an economic migrant (Of fighting age, wearing Nike clothes and trainers, sporting the latest haircut, and carrying an Apple phone, mainly from Albania, where there is currently no war being fought).

Apologies for going away from Lineker and the BBC but following on from the Major:

I was down in East Kent last week and after seeing the figures of Albanians being the highest number of people attempting to cross the channel by small boats and dingies I had the opportunity to Listen to the views of professionals that have to deal with the result of gangs that make easy money by exploitation of people. Let's just say that the demands of the Albanians tell you that they have been sold a story of milk and honey plus houses once they reach the UK. 

This is a far right government that Margaret Thatcher would be proud of BUT this is a major problem that Labour will have to deal with if/when elected. 

The UK and France need to tackle this issue together. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    .... 🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the BBC isn’t right wing what are the left wing bits?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If the BBC isn’t right wing what are the left wing bits?
    I think Jenas used to play out wide sometimes.
  • Options
    Apologies for my ignorance, but can anyone give me the context of how GL's tweet came to be questioned in the HoC? Was it during a debate on the bill, or facilitated by some other mechanism, and were MP's voicing concerns about it doing so representing concerns of, or offense taken by, constituents?

I didn't pay it much attention at first, but it's got very big on us all of a sudden and I'm not privy to GL's contract terms. If he hasn't breached them, he shouldn't be suspended is my simplistic take on it, and I'm guessing those coming out in solidarity hold the view that he hasn't.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    IAgree said:
    Chizz said:
    OK … not sure what that has to do with MOTD or Lineker? Seems to be related to the rail strike ? 

Sugar is a presenter on the BBC - Lineker is a presenter on the BBC. One made a statement about Trade Union activity and in particular the leader of the RMT - the other made a statement on how he saw the latest government policy.

I agree - neither has anything to do with The Apprentice or MOTD - they are both examples of a so-called breach of impartiality. Sugar isn't a news or current affairs reporter, neither is Lineker, and I have no issue whatsoever with Sugar's or Lineker's comments as they have f*ck all to do with the jobs they do for the BBC.

Andrew Neil on the other hand ..........
    Ahh got you!

Sorry had a few to many ales yesterday evening!

A point well made!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This is clearly a ridiculous situation, and the outcry is very understandable. It does strike me however that if this was a case of a BBC presenter with right leaning political views (under whatever form of contract) comparing Labour policies and rhetoric as similar to Naziism then many of the same people up in arms about Lineker’s censorship would be calling for that right wing presenter or to be similarly censored. 

I think people, on both sides of the spectrum,  care less about “freedom of speech” and more about ensuring that speech is only permitted to say things they agree with.
    I am curious about this incident when a right wing BBC presenter compared Labour Party language and policies to Naziism, can you provide a link?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    se9addick said:
    This is clearly a ridiculous situation, and the outcry is very understandable. It does strike me however that if this was a case of a BBC presenter with right leaning political views (under whatever form of contract) comparing Labour policies and rhetoric as similar to Naziism then many of the same people up in arms about Lineker’s censorship would be calling for that right wing presenter or to be similarly censored. 

I think people, on both sides of the spectrum,  care less about “freedom of speech” and more about ensuring that speech is only permitted to say things they agree with.
    I am curious about this incident when a right wing BBC presenter compared Labour Party language and policies to Naziism, can you provide a link?
    To a hypothetical situation? No, that technology does not exist. You must have misread my “if” for “when”. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    As previously pointed out, I’m not sure why this one isn’t on the House of Commoners section. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mametz said:
    Gribbo said:
    The thing about this is Lineker has never hidden his political beliefs before and has regularly tweeted about them. Clearly the Nazi connotations of this latest one are deemed a step too far for those up the hierarchy. 

Personally find him the worst thing on MOTD but this is all way OTT. Plus side for Lineker is he can spend a night off looking at himself in the mirror.

You’re clutching at straws there. The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement. 
    Personally think that comparing policies to tackle the current migrant crisis, to what happened in Nazi Germany is extremely crass, when they're clearly nothing like it.

He didn’t compare the current migrant crisis with the totality of what happened in Nazi Germany, ie the holocaust. What he said was, the language being used by the government, such as “Swamped”, is similar to the language used in 1930’s Germany. Which is undoubtedly true and accurate and so hardly crass.
    It's undeniably emotive though
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    se9addick said:

To a hypothetical situation? No, that technology does not exist. You must have misread my “if” for “when”. 
    Apologies.
    I assume it hasn’t happened then.
    It may be my bias but I see the BBC as packed with right wingers like Andrew Neil (previously) Fiona Bruce, Laura Kuenssberg, Alan Sugar and Karren Brady, Jeremy Clarkson and many others.
    Not to mention the BBC Director General being a Tory doner and helping to facilitate money for Boris Johnson. I probably missed the bit where Ainsley Harriot raised millions for Jeremy Corbyn.

• Options
    The next two weeks are crucial 
  • Options
    With regards to MOTD, they can all fuck off as far as I am concerned.
    Never been interested what any of them have to say.
    They are so far up themselves that you can only see their shoes.
    Could have a news presenter front it for all I care.
    Most people simply want to see the highlights.
    Run VT.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Mametz said:
    Gribbo said:
    The thing about this is Lineker has never hidden his political beliefs before and has regularly tweeted about them. Clearly the Nazi connotations of this latest one are deemed a step too far for those up the hierarchy. 

Personally find him the worst thing on MOTD but this is all way OTT. Plus side for Lineker is he can spend a night off looking at himself in the mirror.

You’re clutching at straws there. The ‘Nazi connotations’ you refer to are those of the illegal policy this government is trying to implement. 
    Personally think that comparing policies to tackle the current migrant crisis, to what happened in Nazi Germany is extremely crass, when they're clearly nothing like it.

He didn’t compare the current migrant crisis with the totality of what happened in Nazi Germany, ie the holocaust. What he said was, the language being used by the government, such as “Swamped”, is similar to the language used in 1930’s Germany. Which is undoubtedly true and accurate and so hardly crass.
    It's undeniably emotive though
    Of course it is but Gribbo’s point was still inaccurate.
  • Options
    Either everybody is ‘originally from these shores’ or nobody is.
    It depends in the eyes of some what ‘originally’ means and where they choose to place the cut off point.
    I believe mankind only spread to this land mass between 8-10,000 years ago. I also think there are babies born in the area called Morocco to parents born in Malvern.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Football Focus and Final Score may be pulled today. Not sure how this fits in with the BBC’s remit. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!