Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Charlton 14/2/2023 Valentine’s Lovers’ Special

Comments

• Options
    Charlie Savage (20 in May ) had a few nice pings to him when he came on , looked a lot more of a player than his old man 
    He looked creative whilst being able to get about. I like Fraser but he can be very static at times. If he is given freedom to roam then it needs to stop, he needs to muck in defensively when its 1-0 and we are under pressure.  
  • Options
    Rak Sakyi’s miss was appalling but he’s allowed that probably the only player worth watching at the moment 
    The kid is still learning but this is the frustrating side of his game. The amount of easy sitters he has missed this season must equal the goals he has scored 

It appears to be a trait of skilful young players on the ball that start off as Wingers that they miss the one touch finish.  Purley resident Zaha hardly ever scored those type of goals but as the mentor of Rak Sakyi had taught him plenty other than JRS will stay on his feet more other than in the box when all player will go down with the lightest of touches.

Sterling always missed more than he scored.
  • Options
    I walked from Stroud to Nailsworth, didn't realise I'd be climbing Everest today. 

I started queuing for food around 7:35, finally got food at 8:20. Missed our goal as the terracing is near flat and I'm too short. 

Walked back up Everest in the pitch black after the game and am now now at the hotel contemplating my life choices. 
    We've all been there!
  • Options
  • Options
    Don’t agree with the Hector comments of very good, decent and great game.

All he did was smash the ball upfield every time it came near him giving the ball back to the opposition.

He will obviously do a job for us but hoofing into row Z will not help us 
    Disagree on this one East. It was just what we needed when we were under siege like that, and being bombarded. Others were attempting the same thing, but much less effectively, and the ball was coming back at us within seconds as they didn't get enough distance on it.
    At least when he did it the ball entered the lower stratosphere, giving us a few precious seconds to get up the pitch. Their defenders didn't look comfortable under the high ball, and if Bonne had been able to put them under a bit more pressure we might even have been able to turn the clearance into attack.
    He was also good positionally, making quite a few interception with his head as well as his feet. I thought he looked like a man playing with boys. Fingers crossed, he might turn out to be a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I think the problem is we have a threat from our wide players and not much else. FGR, even when they went behind got bodies behind the ball and it was easy for us to pass it around with no threat to them at all. In the second half it was similar but FGR tried to break quickly and we were just happy to play it around with no cutting edge. 

Our record shows we are crap against teams that get bodies behind the ball. We need a set piece threat or a Ricky Holmes player with a shot. It was telling that our goal came from great work by JRS and having numbers in the box which was not a common theme of the evening. A draw would have been a fair result in all honesty.
  • Options
    Forest Green 0 Charlton Athletic 1

The only stat that matters
    If you're in with a shout of the playoffs, or fighting relegation, yes.
    But to allow Forest Green to dominate us like that in the second half, when we'd been cruising at one nil, was alarming. It'd be nice to see progress, playing wise.
  • Options
    Anyone got any stats handy about our results with Sess in the team, and our results without him?  
  • Options
    I was nervous for the entire period of time after we scored, that is until Hector came on and realised they wouldn’t score if the ball is miles away from our goal, so he made sure it was miles away.
    Very positive contribution.
  • Options
    Aneke may as well be kept as a sub if we're going to play one up as he wasn't really any more effective than Bonne (or Stockley had been). Hopefully it is just minor with Leaburn as he seems the only one capable of playing that role.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Aneke may as well be kept as a sub if we're going to play one up as he wasn't really any more effective than Bonne (or Stockley had been). Hopefully it is just minor with Leaburn as he seems the only one capable of playing that role.
     So far we've seen Stockley, Learn and Bonne , now one game from Aneke in the same kind of role. They have all looked isolated- there must be something in the way we play.
    When the players were shaking hands at the end (after the scuffle) Aneke came back on the pitch and to me it looked like he had slight limp.
  • Options
    Talal said:
     So far we've seen Stockley, Learn and Bonne , now one game from Aneke in the same kind of role. They have all looked isolated- there must be something in the way we play.
    When the players were shaking hands at the end (after the scuffle) Aneke came back on the pitch and to me it looked like he had slight limp.
    Slight correction- Leaburn and Aneke do slightly better- but only marginally
  • Options
    I was in the weird covered terrace down one end, no proper cover if it had rained, but a cracking view of all the meaningful action. A decent noise from the home end, though weirdly there were two end terraces for home fans, the far end one being much quieter and emptier!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The midfield still isn't working as there never seems to be an outlet for the defence, who end up passing between each other and eventually getting caught out.

Sess played ok but positionally seemed to drift inside too much when he was playing as a left wingback, leaving space on the outside.

Chuks was powderpuff. He looked like someone playing at 70%, not wanting to get injured 
    He can’t run.  He’s okay at receiving the ball into feet, but he looks so stiff.  

I was pleased Aneke got through 70 minutes and I didn't expect instant sharpness, especially after his 5 minute injury recently.
    At his best he can get the ball at his feet and turn and run; we have to hope he can get back to that level, though it will probably be from the bench as in Chuks mind that is his best position. His record states that's when he scores. Chuks has to be cajoled into starting a match; I heard it was the rumour but hearing Jayden Stockley say that, turned it into a fact for me.
    The definition of cajoled means to persuaded by flattery.  So are we saying we have a bloke who is on a decent wedge for a wage is having to then be told how great he is to play? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the game and I agree we, as fans, were not very loud. But I’d say that the team do little to excite us. Yes, we won, but it was dull 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    Anyone got any stats handy about our results with Sess in the team, and our results without him?  
    We've won three games where he's not played this season - Although two of those three wins have come, when we've had either Kane or Penney start @ Left-Back

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-sessegnon/leistungsdaten/spieler/406558

• Options
    keeper sounds like the best player against a v poor team. 

oh well safe for another season and a mid table finish yawn 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    My mantra is we are a mid table League 1 team; cafc has been even since Nigel Adkins at the beginning of last seaon. It took JJ to reach that mid table status after the poor start last season and Dean Holden this season after the poor start under Ben Garner.

Won 10, lost 10, Drawn 10. 
    Wednesday, Plymouth, Bolton, Derby, Ipswich and Barnsley leave Cafc well behind.

No new owners with a realistic vision how to run and grow a professional football club while dovetailing with the majority of fans, then we will continue to diminish as a club. 

I say we are Mediocre, the WordSmiths on CL say we are *"dog shit" which is an insult to every player who puts on a pair of boots outside the Premier and Championship.
    Though it was turgid once FGR realized that get in Charlton faces as they are not all that; Sad but true. How we go from the sublime to the ridiculous is just plain crazy.

We have reach our level despite no doubt having another dip probably in the next two matches where both Derby and Sheffield Wednesday look too strong over the 90+ minutes. 

I believe FGR were only the 2nd team we have beaten that were in the bottom half of the table when we played them ? 

*Say camel vomit just to be original.
  • Options
    I actually thought Holden made things worse by taking off wingers for defenders so that we became unable to get the ball out without gifting possession back to FGR - our headers out barely got halfway to the halfway line and at that point FGR were attacking again. Saying that, Hector did a job for us banging the ball away, though it says a lot about our level that we were doing taht against the bottom club to hold onto a 1-0 lead. 
    Overall, that was one of the poorest away wins I have ever enjoyed as a Charlton fan - the guys in the studio after also described the second half as terrible, which says something as you generally expect Charlton TV to try and play nice with our own players, but in the end the three points are ours, albeit thanks to FGR being unable to finish.
  • Options
    We scored on Valentine’s Day, what more can I say.
    Well, they did!!... ;)
  • Options
    clive said:
    Absolutely ridiculous tbh. He made ONE SAVE! Clare deserved it this time, by far, imo
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    clive said:
    Absolutely ridiculous tbh. He made ONE SAVE! Clare deserved it this time, by far, imo
    First half I'd agree with you Leuth, but the sheer number of blocks and tackles in 2nd half meant I went Dobbo. Either way, agree that AMB is a strange choice against a team that had 1 shot on target.