Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Charlton 14/2/2023 Valentine’s Lovers’ Special

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I love how people say we will get destroyed by *insert team name here* if we play like that, when football rarely ever works that way -
    especially when it comes to Charlton.

All in all in my opinion I don’t think we’ve really looked that good since the first half of the Lincoln game (United game being a bit of a different beast). Our midfield seems to fade out of games and then we lose control from there. 

But we are finding ways to win, and for as poor as we are defensively you can’t accuse the players of not putting their bodies on the line.

Thought Hector looked like he might have something about him when he came on - but I suppose the way we were playing at the time did give him that chance to shine. 

Despite the stick that Inniss has got in recent weeks it's worrying how well him and Ness have played individually and the number of blocks they make and we still need AMB to make worldies and the other team to miss sitters.
    Yes indeed. We just seem to lose control of games far to easily and then spend large chunks of it ‘shadow boxing’ and being no where near the ball. Its no wonder that we always find ourselves in positions where either our CB’s or Dobson are flinging themselves in front of shots. 

That combined with being pretty poor at defending set plays and crosses makes for a tough watch sometimes and barely any clean sheets. 
  • Options
    FGR were poor but deserved a point. Away win, clean sheet. Minutes for Chuks and Hector. Will need to be a lot better the weekend but probably will be. UTA.
  • Options
    Booom, we beat a team bottom of the league. Who said we can't achieve these big wins! 
  • Options
    Clean sheet win! 🤟🎸🎶🤙
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A wins a win and i’d have taken 1-0 before the game. 
    Just wish I hadn’t watched the stream, it was harder work watching than playing. 
  • Options
    PWR.

An away win is always good news and the three points we gained tonight are the most important thing to take away from the match.

However, having watched the match on Charlton TV, we were only on a par with the bottom side in the division overall and need to improve to make any impression on the 13 point gap we have towards 6th place. I fear that we will need the 12 point gap we have above 21st place so am still looking down a bit even though we stand at 11th in the table.

COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    For the first 30 minutes, ruthless but toothless.

I almost fell asleep for the next hour.

• Options
    Thing is the difference between the first 15 mins to the other 75 mins is so vast it’s unacceptable. I get league one is shit and players are inconsistent but the drop in performance during games is just weird.

I would say 20 minutes we were very good because FGR didn't press and it was a stroll for Cafc. 
    The top six clubs in League 1 aren't shit and Bolton who should've scored 5 against Cafc, scored 5 for the 2nd game running. Could well catch either Wednesday or Plymouth if their players stay fit.

Great work down the right from Rak Sakyi for the first goal but when he didn't put the chance away early doors from Aneke head back to make it 2-0 we gradually got worse.
    CBT as well did a good run and then hit the side netting when JRS was unmarked in the middle.
    2nd half was low quality. 
    To keep a clean sheet, The Greens had one bad miss and a great save from AMB.

5 wins out of 7 is  putting distance from the bottom 4 but we are so far off being a top 6 team. 

Great result - mediocre performance after 20 minutes. How we need a take over to bring more quality in the Summer and try to hold onto our 'assets'. It feels like the 'Assets' are Dobson, Ness, Maynard-Brewer, Leaburn, Kanu and in segments of Matches, CBT.
    Rak Sakyi and Sessegnon won't be here so try to enjoy their contribution until the end of the season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    20 mins ok. 70 mins garbage.

Fitness is a big thing for me. We had players out there who looked utterly shattered after 60 mins. That is in a game where we had the majority of the ball. I could accept it if we were chasing shadows for 90 mins but we weren't.

If Leaburn doesn;t play then the one up front just doesn't work Bonne was totally isolated and ineffective on Saturday and Anke the same tonight.

5 in wins in 7 and I am bored shitless watching us. Lost interest about 20 mins in and I just don't see it changing any time soon.

The comment from Holden regarding talking to Curbishley is interesting and might explain the utter garbage served up on Saturday. Clearly the break down of the take over has had a negative impact on Holden and perhaps the players picked up on that and performed accordingly.

The off field stuff needs sorting asap or we are going to tread water in mid table at best.
  • Options
    To be on the back foot and defending so deeply against the bottom club didn't exactly make good viewing. I really expected a familiar injury time equaliser.

But we hung on and got a "clean sheet win" so I won't moan too much.
  • Options
    GNelson said:
    I walked from Stroud to Nailsworth, didn't realise I'd be climbing Everest today. 

I started queuing for food around 7:35, finally got food at 8:20. Missed our goal as the terracing is near flat and I'm too short. 

Walked back up Everest in the pitch black after the game and am now now at the hotel contemplating my life choices. 
    Might be a bit late, but if you had walked from Stroud to Nailsworth along the cycle path route it's pretty much flat the whole way. Hope this helps with the contemplating.

You then have a massive hill to climb.

I missed the last bus back to Stroud which left ridiculously early, and am waiting in the cold for my taxi. No pubs open to wait in . Humph
  • Options
    Average first half performance, dreadful second half. No quality on the ball, no movement, no decent passing, and poor marking too.

The only second half positive was our decent last ditch defending 
  • Options
    Watched it on a stream before coming to work and lost it at 60 mins. Couldn't believe the stats when i tuned in later on BBC. Up to that point we were fairly in control deserved more than a 1-0 lead at HT but to be honest the game was like a pre season friendly.

I assume we came under it a bit in the last half hour when we decided to capitulate the game we had a grip off..

I saw the last half hour of the Derby game and they will batter us Saturday. (yes i know they only drew with Lincoln)
  • Options
    My mrs is away for half term with my kids, so I watched it at my parents. 

My mum noted “it’s such a shame what you’ve become, playing at ground like that. It’s like Welling” 

Then get a text with ten to go from the mrs “enjoying the game? Go charlton” 

We narrowly avoided a draw. 

Another standard night of being a fan. 

I miss those prem days. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    "Fetch me my quill, I must begin my Michael Hector epic poem forthwith" 
    So is he the new Naby?
  • Options
    Thing is the difference between the first 15 mins to the other 75 mins is so vast it’s unacceptable. I get league one is shit and players are inconsistent but the drop in performance during games is just weird.

I would say 20 minutes we were very good because FGR didn't press and it was a stroll for Cafc. 
    The top six clubs in League 1 aren't shit and Bolton who should've scored 5 against Cafc, scored 5 for the 2nd game running. Could well catch either Wednesday or Plymouth if their players stay fit.

Great work down the right from Rak Sakyi for the first goal but when he didn't put the chance away early doors from Aneke head back to make it 2-0 we gradually got worse.
    CBT as well did a good run and then hit the side netting when JRS was unmarked in the middle.
    2nd half was low quality. 
    To keep a clean sheet, The Greens had one bad miss and a great save from AMB.

5 wins out of 7 is  putting distance from the bottom 4 but we are so far off being a top 6 team. 

Great result - mediocre performance after 20 minutes. How we need a take over to bring more quality in the Summer and try to hold onto our 'assets'. It feels like the 'Assets' are Dobson, Ness, Maynard-Brewer, Leaburn, Kanu and in segments of Matches, CBT.
    Rak Sakyi and Sessegnon won't be here so try to enjoy their contribution until the end of the season.

JRS and CBT are confidence players. First 20 running riot they should screaming for the ball next, and if the opposition change it then it should create space for Fraser and Aneke. But it never does. We should not be that easy to nullify no matter what the other team does. FGR manager isn’t Mourinho. There is a fundamental problem with our players adapting to changes in the game. It’s not good enough. Far too many players let their performance go from good to dog shit so easily and so often.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Think Holden is experiencing the same drop-off in effort our previous managers have.