Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-Match Thread: Forest Green Rovers v Charlton 14/2/2023 Valentine’s Lovers’ Special

edited February 2023 in General Charlton
Love was in the air this Valentine’s as Charlton looked to rebound from the poor performance at home to Fleetwood with a visit to bottom-of-the-table Forest Green Rovers. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much to love about Charlton’s performance, though we looked bright at times. Charlton dominated possession and took an early lead with a goal from Corey Blackett-Taylor driving into the box and getting on the end of a Rak-Sakyi through ball, after a clever bit of skill to burst past his marker. Charlton continued to dominate possession, but failed to capitalise with any end product. There wasn’t much else to love as the game turned more and more scrappy.

The second half was much like the first. That is, until about 75 minutes on. Forest Green, who up to this point mostly looked out of their league, benefitted from a few set pieces to grow in confidence and put Charlton on the back foot. Set piece after set piece exposed Charlton’s defensive frailties. We conceded possession and dropped very deep, so Forest Green kept coming. Fortunately for the Addicks, Forest Green was devoid of an attacking edge and they failed to find their equaliser. Charlton struggled to hang on, but did manage to defend well enough to see the game out. Ashley Maynard-Brewer made a fantastic save down to his right to keep our lead and help ensure the three points.

If we play like that against Derby and/or Sheffield Wed in the next couple of weeks we’ll be played off the pitch. Fortunately, we tend to rise to the better teams in the league, so let’s keep our collective fingers crossed.

Forest Green 0 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• It was good to get three points, but it was turgid.
  • It may be 3 points, but

• Can't remember when we last beat the team that were bottom of the league. I'll take it. First 20-25 minutes we were superb. Just got to ignore the rest.
  • The fact the play-off thread didn't get revived again, shows how poor a performance that was. 

Managed to keep a clean sheet somehow and gained 3 points. That's all we can really take from that game. 
  • edited February 2023
    We won...somehow, FGR just didn't have the players and Knowhow to get the point their build up play deserved, we were very tired looking and lack lustre, play like that Saturday and heaven help us...coz we won't win, lets hope Miles is back.
    The only positive apart from the clean sheet was Ness, giving another solid performance at the back, and our only creative player JRS...
  • Really poor by a number of players. Our three forwards do not link up and Innis wants to sit deep at every opportunity. Hope Hector can stay fit and sort that but a lot of players look tired.  
  • First half very good , second half scrappy 
    but we won the game sometimes that the important thing 
    Again we got into so many good positions but our final ball was poor .. we got it right once guess what we scored .. another poor miss from Raki ..

after Saturday just important to win 

• Sponsored links:

• OK we won. But have no doubt about it  that was an effing awful performance.

Totally outplayed in the second half. If FGR could score goals they would have won.

I was a big critic of bonne on Saturday but tonight you could see that playing a loan forward up front is not working for us as Aneke was just as ineffective tonight.

Will be amazed if we get anything out if the next 4 games if we play anything like tonight in those games.
  • edited February 2023
    That was awful. So many weak, average players always a yard off the pace. One nil up, looking good, and it all falls apart. OK, we hung on, but we should be staying on top in games like this.

Only positive was Hector, who looked like a professional footballer dropped in to a Sunday league match.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2023
    3 points (16 points to safety) & Millwall losing 1-0. Happy Days. 
  • Good result, shit performance.
  • edited February 2023
    Winning the only real positive.  First half OK, second half awful.  Liked the look of Hector.
  • I love how people say we will get destroyed by *insert team name here* if we play like that, when football rarely ever works that way -
    especially when it comes to Charlton.

All in all in my opinion I don’t think we’ve really looked that good since the first half of the Lincoln game (United game being a bit of a different beast). Our midfield seems to fade out of games and then we lose control from there. 

But we are finding ways to win, and for as poor as we are defensively you can’t accuse the players of not putting their bodies on the line.

Thought Hector looked like he might have something about him when he came on - but I suppose the way we were playing at the time did give him that chance to shine. 

• Sponsored links:

• Oh my. That second half ......
  • Never see the game ,1-0 doesn't sound convincing but it's a win 3 points we will take that & move on Come On You Reds  B)
  • I love how people say we will get destroyed by *insert team name here* if we play like that, when football rarely ever works that way -
    especially when it comes to Charlton.

All in all in my opinion I don’t think we’ve really looked that good since the first half of the Lincoln game (United game being a bit of a different beast). Our midfield seems to fade out of games and then we lose control from there. 

But we are finding ways to win, and for as poor as we are defensively you can’t accuse the players of not putting their bodies on the line.

Thought Hector looked like he might have something about him when he came on - but I suppose the way we were playing at the time did give him that chance to shine. 

Despite the stick that Inniss has got in recent weeks it's worrying how well him and Ness have played individually and the number of blocks they make and we still need AMB to make worldies and the other team to miss sitters.
  • Holden thanking Curbs for his advice before the game, why Curbs hasn’t been honoured with an official role at Charlton is criminal - he’s always at The Valley & cares.
    I wondered on Saturday if the level of performance was a result of what's happening in the boardroom. There is no question that Holden doesn't think that the promises made will be fulfilled. And yeah good call from Curbs. 
  • Ok, so we were shit again but scraped a win.

What about the interesting stuff? 
    How was the food at the ground?
    Did you piss in the toilets and water the pitch?
    Did anyone do anything romantic?
  • What's happened to AMB's cheek?
  • We scrapped for the win. The perfor3was bereft of quality. Don't get me wrong, I accept that this is league one football, but we are so far away from being a good side, it is depressing. It is barely believable that this side can come good. I hope the next training session, all those that played tonight are made to watch that entire 90 minutes. It wasn't all crap, but mostly it was. 13 points and a game behind 6th place Barnsley. Another season of no progress on or off the pitch. 
  • aliwibble said:
    What's happened to AMB's cheek?
    Bloke looks about 50 in that interview!