Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Perhaps Hector does not want to head the ball in case of getting dementia when older. Listening to science 
    I've been thinking the same with a lot of our players tbh.
    Most of them don't want to head the ball.
    It's understandable, but they need to get a new job if there's any truth in it.
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Was disappointed that he got beaten to the ball by Harris after he gave him a head start. But you do see that happen at every level. I still rate him, but can accept he’s a bit of a luxury player in that’ll he’ll hit a great cross field pass that leads to a goal and look comfortable on the ball, but then make a mistake. 
    If I had to choose, would I prefer two Joneses or two Hectors? Two Jones, probably, if I’m honest, for safety reasons. But as a CB pairing I think they’re ok. Of course we can always do better in every position on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Well, based on his last six performances I wouldn’t necessarily agree, so long as he had the right players around him. We’ve been awful for some time, and he’s done well (barring the Harris goal) in those matches, despite us having to do so much defending.  Based on the whole season, then I’d agree with you. 
    But with stronger full backs, and a more combative midfield I think he’d do ok. Just my opinion, and it’s not set in stone - I could, as you say, be wrong. I certainly wouldn’t mind if they brought in better in the window. 
  • Options
    That equaliser on NYD was a defensive nightmare with Edun, Hector and the calamitous Brewer all badly at fault.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Well, based on his last six performances I wouldn’t necessarily agree, so long as he had the right players around him. We’ve been awful for some time, and he’s done well (barring the Harris goal) in those matches, despite us having to do so much defending.  Based on the whole season, then I’d agree with you. 
    But with stronger full backs, and a more combative midfield I think he’d do ok. Just my opinion, and it’s not set in stone - I could, as you say, be wrong. I certainly wouldn’t mind if they brought in better in the window. 
    Arguably could have done better with goals in our last 3 matches, so he hasn't been that great recently.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Arguably could have done better with goals in our last 3 matches, so he hasn't been that great recently.

A small section of the fanbase think it's OK for a defender to give away a goal if they play well otherwise. I can't personally share in that perspective. But I remember them defending Innis the same way last season. 
    Inniss, for all his faults, never cost us goals at the rate that Hector has this season and was more of a physical asset in both boxes.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:

A small section of the fanbase think it's OK for a defender to give away a goal if they play well otherwise. I can't personally share in that perspective. But I remember them defending Innis the same way last season. 
    Another small section of our fanbase takes every goal we concede where Hector could conceivably have done something different in the passage of play leading up to it as him personally picking up the ball and throwing it into his own net.

Yeah, he's been part of a defence that has let goals in, yeah he's been exposed, partly due to the lack of a midfield. He's also played well recently, especially compared to the others. The marks don't lie. Passes, blocks, tackles, headers, composure, playmaking. He's generally looked good. Having a fast forward nip ahead of him (which happens to defenders at every level) in a game he otherwise played very well in doesn't change that 
  • Options
    Like, we've been rancid of late, but we've not been thrashed, as some of our performances have deserved. Our centre-backs have kept their end up when our midfield has gone completely missing, Dobson aside 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 5
    Like, what did Lloyd Jones do for that goal? Watch what he does again, he gets absolutely caught in no-man's land and removes any chance he had of doing any actual defending. Does he get any blame? No, because Hector was the one to try and do something about it, so of course the goal is entirely on him. It was a combination of a good pass, a good cross, a good bit of movement from the forward and some substandard defending from about 4 of them, but there's a group here who have decided to ignore the evidence of Hector's good play and target him as the primary source of our defensive ills. Which continues to be horseshit, frankly 
  • Options
    But yes, hopefully we sign another centre-back, stick him behind this hopeless midfield and then blame him when we concede goals 
  • Options
    Had Hector actually tried properly he'd have cut it out!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He did try, the forward's movement was excellent and perfectly-timed. Sometimes give credit to the opposition?

Was Hector not trying when he denied them goals on numerous occasions with great blocks and interceptions in the rest of the match? 
  • Options
    Like, it's the not-trying accusation that gets me most. Nobody reacts as frustratedly as him when we concede. Nobody else apart from Dobson comes over to the fans as much as he has recently. Nobody else fronts up to our collective ire like he does. And he really doesn't hide at all. The fact he's heavily involved in our defensive actions is part of why he gets blamed so much, even when he's clearly been one of our better players in general
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    He did try, the forward's movement was excellent and perfectly-timed. Sometimes give credit to the opposition?

Was Hector not trying when he denied them goals on numerous occasions with great blocks and interceptions in the rest of the match? 
    It doesn't surprise me you think that. I believe he didn't try hard enough, think Curbs and Brown said similar. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:

It doesn't surprise me you think that. I believe he didn't try hard enough, think Curbs and Brown said similar. 
    They said that you can't let the forward get past you. Not that he hadn't tried to, but he hadn't anticipated the exact movement. The cross was pinpoint to the run, it was a small window Hector allowed and they found it. It happens 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:

They said that you can't let the forward get past you. Not that he hadn't tried to, but he hadn't anticipated the exact movement. The cross was pinpoint to the run, it was a small window Hector allowed and they found it. It happens 
    Fair enough couldn't remember exactly but the crux of it was that he should've done better. May as well leave it there as we won't agree. 
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Leuth said:
    But yes, hopefully we sign another centre-back, stick him behind this hopeless midfield and then blame him when we concede goals 
    Why wouldn’t you want another CB? For me Thomas, Ness and Deji aren’t serious competition for Hector and Jones. Three good senior CBs is the minimum we need. I know Thomas is old enough but I doubt he’ll be here next season, he’s cover at best for where we want to be.

We do need to strengthen elsewhere to help the defence, but better competition for the CB places should help too.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Why wouldn’t you want another CB? For me Thomas, Ness and Deji aren’t serious competition for Hector and Jones. Three good senior CBs is the minimum we need. I know Thomas is old enough but I doubt he’ll be here next season, he’s cover at best for where we want to be.

We do need to strengthen elsewhere to help the defence, but better competition for the CB places should help too.
    I agree, we need a good CB. Hector would make either a good starting or bench option, or could play in midfield
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like, we have, Dobson aside, the most ludicrously flimsy midfield in the league. They're made of paper. It's awful
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Like, we've been rancid of late, but we've not been thrashed, as some of our performances have deserved. Our centre-backs have kept their end up when our midfield has gone completely missing, Dobson aside 
    Like, I think that’s more down to the awful opposition we’ve been failing to beat lately. If changes aren’t made then we could rack up some cricket scores once that tough run starts to kick in.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I like Hector, but suggesting him in midfield is a bit silly. 

As far as I’m aware he’s never played there, and it’s a completely different position. He’s probably too slow, not agile enough for it and would have far less time on the ball. And instead of nearly always receiving it with everything in front of him and time, he’d now be receiving it sometimes on the half turn and in tighter spaces.  

Just because he’s good on the ball from centre back doesn’t mean he could play in midfield 
    You're lucky I've not suggested him for the Leaburn/Aneke role. Until now that is
  • Options
    Whilst I agree that Hector has been well below it this season. I think it's important to spread the blame. Edun has been shocking defensively and the shielding from the midfield has been seriously lacking too.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:

Another small section of our fanbase takes every goal we concede where Hector could conceivably have done something different in the passage of play leading up to it as him personally picking up the ball and throwing it into his own net.

Yeah, he's been part of a defence that has let goals in, yeah he's been exposed, partly due to the lack of a midfield. He's also played well recently, especially compared to the others. The marks don't lie. Passes, blocks, tackles, headers, composure, playmaking. He's generally looked good. 
    Agreed. I think it’s quite odd how people seem desperate to pin the deficiencies of the entire team on one player. I’ll go with the CL players stats which have him 1st 1st 1st, 2nd 3rd & 5th in his last 6 games, rankings that were pretty similar to mine. 
    But as I keep saying, if we can recruit better, then that’s fine. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:

Yeah, he's been part of a defence that has let goals in, yeah he's been exposed, partly due to the lack of a midfield. He's also played well recently, especially compared to the others. The marks don't lie. Passes, blocks, tackles, headers, composure, playmaking. He's generally looked good. 
    Agreed. I think it’s quite odd how people seem desperate to pin the deficiencies of the entire team on one player. I’ll go with the CL players stats which have him 1st 1st 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th in his last 6 games. 
    I mean this just isn't true is it, it's a Hector thread, of course comments will be about Hector. I'm sure you haven't missed the many negatives comments about other players on other threads. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:

Agreed. I think it’s quite odd how people seem desperate to pin the deficiencies of the entire team on one player. I’ll go with the CL players stats which have him 1st 1st 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th in his last 6 games. 
    I mean this just isn't true is it, it's a Hector thread, of course comments will be about Hector. I'm sure you haven't missed the many negatives comments about other players on other threads. 
    Still think it’s odd. 
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:

Fair enough couldn't remember exactly but the crux of it was that he should've done better. May as well leave it there as we won't agree. 
    No, you are correct. Curbs said he had to "work harder." 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    Talal said:

No, you are correct. Curbs said he had to "work harder." 
    There was no excuse for him not cutting out the ball for the goal against Oxford. He had a 2 to 3 yard start on the attacker and then once in the 6 yard box the attacker was right behind him. Hector then made no attempt at all to cut out the ball. He goes through the motions of defending without actually doing it.