Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Hector (Page 11 - Signs a NEW one year deal)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    "Hector, Gunter, Watson, Matthews"

Putting Hector in this company is genuinely actionable, and I'll waive all the legal fees 
    Just ignoring Pratley also who falls into the same bracket but was brilliant for us. Just because a player has played at a higher level it doesn’t mean they are just here to pick up a wage 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

Putting Hector in this company is genuinely actionable, and I'll waive all the legal fees 
    Just ignoring Pratley also who falls into the same bracket but was brilliant for us. Just because a player has played at a higher level it doesn’t mean they are just here to pick up a wage 
    I'll concede that Pratley is more natural company, if a rather different type of player. (Actually I always said he played well as a centre-back!) They get to lock horns in 2 days, how fun. If Pratley scores while Hector s supposed to be marking him I'll probably leave the site 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

Pratley is another like May and Holmes, an older player who was still hungry. Nothing like Gunter, Watson and Matthews.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

Pratley is another like May and Holmes, an older player who was still hungry. Nothing like Gunter, Watson and Matthews.
    I agree, that was the point I’m making. Not all players that drop down to join us are necessarily just here for convenience and to pick up a wage. Some players drop down and are still hungry and have the right attitude 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

Championship Matthews was very good, we shouldn't have re-signed him after the 20-21 season and he may not have been thought of quite as poorly. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

Championship Matthews was very good, we shouldn't have re-signed him after the 20-21 season and he may not have been thought of quite as poorly. 
    Championship Matthews was very good, league 1 Matthews was terrible until about March where his form would surprisingly pick up when a new deal was on the line 
  • Options
    Matthews had that one game at AFC Wimbledon (the game where Ryan Inniss produced the most iconic moment in recent Charlton history) where he turned into Cafu and it made me hate him even more 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

I have purposely not included Pratley as he was a part of one of my favourite Charlton seasons and had a fairly big influence on it. I've never said age is the issue but rather the attitude of the player themselves.

All the players I've mentioned I associate with pure misery as a Charlton fan. 

It doesn't mean that because they've played at a higher level they're just here to collect wages, but no one can tell me that any of the players I've mentioned haven't done that. We have been an easy target for chancers for years and years. Whether that be agents, managers, players, prospective owners. We are genuinely dying as a club and I can't see how anyone who attends games could disagree.

Hector is up for debate but he's still a part of one of the worst Charlton sides I've ever seen and there's a reason he didn't sign a long term contract and left us hanging for so long. 

He's here through pure convenience and that's it. 
  • Options
    Hector had his 4th consecutive decent game.
    Shame he cost us the win again for the umpteenth time this season.
    What a pathetic non tackle for their equaliser. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was just about to post this ffs. 

I cannot believe two players from that match yesterday made the team. TWO! 

I will no longer use whoscored ever again 😂
  • Options
    He did not fucking 'cost us the win'. He went to block a shot, and the guy's poked it past him to a player who should have been offside. Fucksake
  • Options
    Also, he especially didn't cost us the win because he mustered the only bit of penetrative attacking play we managed all night
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Also, he especially didn't cost us the win because he mustered the only bit of penetrative attacking play we managed all night
    You mean he crossed the ball.
  • Options
    "Hec has been very consistent this year", yeah consistently costing us goals, just as his non-challenge cost us another goal yesterday.
    Even when he plays well, as he generally did yesterday, he is still prone to errors that lead to us conceding goals.
    Not good enough to deserve a new contract.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    In order to concede less goals, and score more, do not put Fraser in the team. 
  • Options
    The last few pages of this thread would probably mirror a similar thread about Naby Sarr. Many people didn't appreciate his good work based on a few mistakes he made. 

A Fulham fan told me exactly what we'd be getting when we signed him: a generally solid defender who used the ball well, but expect a lot of long diagonal balls, some totally useless, some gamechangers. Also expect the odd error!

He was spot on. Didn't mention his crossing though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I must be the only one not really buying into this Hector renaissance. He’s been a bit better the past month than he was the rest of the season, but that’s a very, very low bar. 

He still gives the ball away too often and fails to deal/clear balls. Given his pedigree he should be a top defender in this division but he’s nowhere near that standard. 
    I honestly think there's at least 10 centre backs that would be better suited to us than him.

I will never dispute his passing range and his ability to make things look cool. 

But the reality is, we are a soft touch team with no character and Hector is not the type of character/defender who is going to turn that around. He's at the end of his career and looking for an easy pay day imo, it suits him being in London and he's already got his footballing memories. 

Without sounding a bit Disney, we need someone looking to start their own footballing history, no more of these over the hill types who are looking for an easy pay day, I.e. Hector, Gunter, Watson, Matthews etc.

If we are going to sign older players, I want them in the mould of Ricky Holmes and May. Looking to prove a point still and hungry. 
    Over the hill Hector is 31, which is fine for a centre back. 
    Where’s your evidence that he’s just looking for an easy pay day’? We need some experienced players, god knows they’re sadly lacking in our squad of lightweights. 
  • Options
    Hector had his 4th consecutive decent game.
    Shame he cost us the win again for the umpteenth time this season.
    What a pathetic non tackle for their equaliser. 
    Define ‘umpteenth’, and then list these occasions where he ‘cost us the win’. I can think of one, possible two, very early on. I can think of two occasions where Dobson has cost us a win, and one was only last week. And I don’t endlessly obsess about them. 
    That would be hysteria. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Like, him and Jones are fast becoming one of the few good things about our team
    Funny that our best players are our centre backs and our weakness is in defense. Try squaring that circle. 

'But look at his range of passing!' as we fail to get another clean sheet. 
    He's been defending very well recently. Is our weakness really in defence? There are weaknesses everywhere, but no more so than in midfield and wide areas 
    14th in the league for goals conceded. 
    Last league clean sheet was in October. 
    3 clean sheets all season.

You tell me. 
    3 MotMs in a row. Runner up yesterday. 
    All the anti Hector stuff is way OTT and not backed up with evidence imho. Yes he made a couple of bad mistakes early on having hardly played in a year and a half, but since then he’s show something of the player that helped Fulham win the Championship title. The Championship, not League 1. 
    He and Jones make a very solid pairing. If we find someone better, then great, I’m all for it, but I’m not holding my breath.
    And if you want us to concede fewer goals then get better midfielders, and possibly fullbacks.
    We've played 21 games this season if you haven't noticed. Not 4. 

I judge players over the whole season and not over a short run of form where he has still been part of a defense that has conceded 6 goals in the last 4 games. - very solid indeed. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    "Hec has been very consistent this year", yeah consistently costing us goals, just as his non-challenge cost us another goal yesterday.
    Even when he plays well, as he generally did yesterday, he is still prone to errors that lead to us conceding goals.
    Not good enough to deserve a new contract.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
    So, you would give him a new contract and think that he's good enough for a team that is hoping for promotion?
  • Options
    He's a Championship quality player, playing in League One and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets snapped up by a championship club in January.

Yes, the mistakes and last minute goals are incredibly annoying, but put him into a better side and I'm sure he'd be solid.

I remember even the great Jorge Costa being solid as a rock against the top Premiership Clubs, but when playing against a lower level team in the cup, he had by far his worst game for us, and looked very average. 
    It happens, good players can get dragged down to the level that they are playing in.
  • Options
    He's a Championship quality player, playing in League One and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets snapped up by a championship club in January.

Yes, the mistakes and last minute goals are incredibly annoying, but put him into a better side and I'm sure he'd be solid.

I remember even the great Jorge Costa being solid as a rock against the top Premiership Clubs, but when playing against a lower level team in the cup, he had by far his worst game for us, and looked very average. 
    It happens, good players can get dragged down to the level that they are playing in.
    That was due to the cup games not being shown live on TV in Portugal and he figured would not effect his chances of going to the World Cup
  • Options
    He probably has three quite worrying mistakes in him every two games.
    Otherwise he he fine, actually rather good more often than not.
  • Options

Given me the biggest laugh over Xmas so many thanks for that. I’m just amazed that a Championship club didn’t snap him up last summer. Oh, hang on, there is a reason they didn’t, he’s not very good.
  • Options
    Championship quality 😂😂😂