Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 21st January 2023 | Match Preview - GAME OFF

Comments

• I'm in Herts. It has been really sunny which has thawed out the grass. Not that far from Peterborough.
    Won’t take much to call it off though. If there’s one part of the pitch that’s still like an ice rink they haven’t got much choice. Plus, you’ve got to think about what the pitch will be like by the end of the game. Either way, poor from from Posh and they should have made a decision earlier. 
  • Heard three of their best palyers are out. Say no more. There was no mention of this until now and fans have made their way there. I personally think they shouldn't get away with it but they will. Not Charlton's fault and Posh are either incompetent or cheats. I'll probably be diplomatic and go with the former but who knows.
  • Tin pot piss pot of a toss pot of a club!
  • Heard three of their best palyers are out. Say no more. There was no mention of this until now and fans have made their way there. I personally think they shouldn't get away with it but they will. Not Charlton's fault and Posh are either incompetent or cheats. I'll probably be diplomatic and go with the former but who knows.
    Sod the diplomacy, i'Il would go with both..
  • That’s really poor. Feel for anyone that’s travelled to Peterborough of all places!
  • Scandalous that no efforts to make a pitch inspection until now - I mean our actions weren't brilliant when Bristol Rovers visited, but at least we were having constant checks the day beforehand, and up until the game so people had some idea there was a potential risk of it not going ahead.

I mean have Peterborough had their heads in the clouds this last week... Its not like the cold weather has only shown up today. 
  • Only positive for us. Is given the physical fragility of our players it good they are not being forced to play on a dodgey pitch. 
    This should of been called off yesterday as many other games were.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    What you do if you are a proper club is get a local ref to have a look in the morning if the match ref isn't there. They actually announced all was fine. They should at least be made to refund the costs of our fans and indeed their ones too.

There was nothing unpredictable about the weather. In fact the sun has been glaring and bright since this morning.
  • Tin pot piss pot of a toss pot of a club!
    and what about Peterborough ? 
  • Pretty poor on Posh there. Should give us the points if they can't sort their pitch out today. I was walking my dog this morning in local park and could have played on that!
    Didn't think you live in Peterborough?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    I'm in Herts. It has been really sunny which has thawed out the grass. Not that far from Peterborough.
    Maybe contact Peterborough and let them know that the grass has thawed in Herts and ask them to explain why it was frozen in Peterborough? Possibly in the shade from the stand.
  • No one on here I think raised even a general concern prior to today that the match might be subject to the weather. 

It’s come out of nowhere. As such no reason our comms team should be considered at fault. 

Curious if Posh face any EFL penalty (however minor) for the late decision etc. 

Don’t wish to alarm anyone but is there going to be a pitch inspection?
  • edited January 2023
    I'm in Herts. It has been really sunny which has thawed out the grass. Not that far from Peterborough.
    Maybe contact Peterborough and let them know that the grass has thawed in Herts and ask them to explain why it was frozen in Peterborough?
    Maybe Posh should have contacted Charlton and said the game was in doubt. Basically Grass will have thawed in the sun but sun may not get on all of the pitch. But there are heat lamps. But if it wasn't possible it is outrageous to find out when we did. They should be punished or fans mean nothing.
  • edited January 2023
  • edited January 2023
    Both clubs should be ashamed. Not difficult to Tweet saying pitch inspection will be taking place. Absolute shambles.
    How is this at all Charlton’s fault. Peterborough were saying there was no need for a pitch inspection yesterday.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-confident-the-charlton-athletic-match-will-go-ahead-3993026
    So you don't think our Comms team should've posted about a pitch inspection being needed?
    I agree with this, at least in theory. The club must have a comms person(s) at the ground on the day, and they should be able to tweet out as soon as there is hint of a pitch inspection.

That said, and in fairness to the club, it sounds like it all happened very fast and very suddenly, and the amount of time between Louis tweeting about rumblings and the game being called off isn't that long. It really comes down to what was known and when.

Update: just seen Holden's comments and it sounds like Charlton made every effort to know if this was a possibility, and Peterborough said it wasn't. I don't think you can put this on Charlton, even if I wish they'd tweeted something the moment they heard of a pitch inspection. It sounds like Peterborough are wholly culpable. 
  • edited January 2023
    No updates about pitch inspections from either team. Disgraceful. 
    Maybe there wasn’t one? Ref turned up, had one look at the pitch, called it off. No planned inspection so nothing to communicate.

Sounds like one big balls up by Peterborough and no blame to be apportioned at anyone at Charlton.
  • I'm in Herts. It has been really sunny which has thawed out the grass. Not that far from Peterborough.
    Maybe contact Peterborough and let them know that the grass has thawed in Herts and ask them to explain why it was frozen in Peterborough?
    Maybe Posh should have contacted Charlton and said the game was in doubt. Basically Grass will have thawed in the sun but sun may not get on all of the pitch. But there are heat lamps. But if it wasn't possible it is outrageous to find out when we did. They should be punished or fans mean nothing.
    Totally agree. It was the fact that you were walking your dog in a park in Herts and they could have played it on that I thought somewhat irrelevant.