Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 21st January 2023 | Match Preview - GAME OFF

Comments

• Options
    What you do if you are a proper club is get a local ref to have a look in the morning if the match ref isn't there. They actually announced all was fine. They should at least be made to refund the costs of our fans and indeed their ones too.

There was nothing unpredictable about the weather. In fact the sun has been glaring and bright since this morning.
    There are three stakeholders in the decision to decide whether a EFL game is off or on - one isnt "a local referee"!!

First, the senior stadium official for health and safety. He/she to decide whether conditions inside and immediately outside are safe (no snow/ice, as an example).

Secondly, the Police Office in charge of the game for the day; responsible for internal customer control and responsible for external approaches to the game being safe (usually snow/ice impact upon travelling).

The match referee, being responsible for the safety of players on the physical pitch. 

Having said all that, I am surprised that a pitch inspection wasn't made earlier in the morning. I would not know whether the club failed to advise the match referee earlier that there could be some doubt about the match proceeding or whether the match referee should take some responsibility for a late pitch inspection.
  • Options
    Can us fans get our money back for match tickets?  
  • Options
    Yes see my post for your attention on previous page😉
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Usually after a postponement you have the option to get a refund or use them for the rearranged fixture.

As the rearranged fixture is likely to be midweek it’s likely a few hundred fans won’t be able to make it & will need a refund.
  • Options
    1 point deduction for Posh, free coach transport for our fans for the rearranged game, £30 each for travel and expenses for our lot that went today and we beat them up there midweek in the rearranged game.

None of these things will happen of course, particularly the last one..
  • Options
    There really needs to be a shake up of the 'is it on or off' assessments .. I'd favour games being called off on the Friday evening/ day before the game is due if there is a lot of doubt .. weather forecasts are very accurate nowadays and it would be sensible to pay heed of them and not wait until 1/2 an hour before kick off to make a decision.
    Local referees should asses the state of the pitch and surrounding streets, terraces etc on the evening before the game and if there is ANY doubt, the game needs to be postponed
    This might not save money spent on advance train fares or hotels but it would prevent wasted travel and extra expenditure. I'll wager that if this regime were in place, far more games that should have been called off will be called off than the reverse
    This might mean smaller clubs losing revenue through wasted catering supplies (local food banks would love them as a gift) and security, programme printing etc, but that would happen if the game were called off 24 hours or 10 minutes before kick off time. There will still be income of course when the game is eventually played
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Can we all just cut people a bit of slack?

Folk are angry & they’re lashing out verbally. It’s the virtual equivalent of going home and kicking the cat.

Do we really have to make them feel worse by pointing out they’re blaming the wrong people? Not really going to make them feel better is it, when they’re out of pocket with feck all to show for it.
    So the Charlton comms team should cop the blame when they’ve done fuck all wrong. Sounds fair…..

If you’re gonna publicly vent on a social media platform, at least direct it in the right way.
    No one knew that at the time though. The fact is we were all in Peterborough and the only person letting us know what was happening was Louis. 

Any one still giving them grief is clearly a wally, but the radio silence until the actual postponement was annoying.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Folk are angry & they’re lashing out verbally. It’s the virtual equivalent of going home and kicking the cat.

Do we really have to make them feel worse by pointing out they’re blaming the wrong people? Not really going to make them feel better is it, when they’re out of pocket with feck all to show for it.
    So the Charlton comms team should cop the blame when they’ve done fuck all wrong. Sounds fair…..

If you’re gonna publicly vent on a social media platform, at least direct it in the right way.
    No one knew that at the time though. The fact is we were all in Peterborough and the only person letting us know what was happening was Louis. 

Any one still giving them grief is clearly a wally, but the radio silence until the actual postponement was annoying.
    Going from Louis original tweets, and subsequently Holden’s comments, it sounds like there was literally a 20 - 40 minute window when all of the sudden the ref turned up and saw the pitch and decided to call it off.

This was not a pre planned inspection because Peterborough said one was not needed.

It took me 10 seconds to google ‘Peterborough FC’ to find the news article saying that it wouldn’t be an issue and the game would go ahead, and a further 10 seconds to look at Louis tweets and have an educated guess that everything happened very quickly. 

I can’t believe people are using the guise of ‘fans are angry’, or ‘they didn’t know’ as an excuse to justify verbal abuse towards individuals who had nothing to do with the shit show today. 

I worked in a front of house role for a period of time and no wonder it was a miserable experience. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Absolutely piss poor decision made at last minue. Posh reassured everyone game would go ahead and I apologise for telling supporters it would be on. The club is an embarressment.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Croydon said:

Going from Louis original tweets, and subsequently Holden’s comments, it sounds like there was literally a 20 - 40 minute window when all of the sudden the ref turned up and saw the pitch and decided to call it off.

This was not a pre planned inspection because Peterborough said one was not needed.

It took me 10 seconds to google ‘Peterborough FC’ to find the news article saying that it wouldn’t be an issue and the game would go ahead, and a further 10 seconds to look at Louis tweets and have an educated guess that everything happened very quickly. 

I can’t believe people are using the guise of ‘fans are angry’, or ‘they didn’t know’ as an excuse to justify verbal abuse towards individuals who had nothing to do with the shit show today. 

I worked in a front of house role for a period of time and no wonder it was a miserable experience. 
    I thought the ref had initially said it needed an inspection at midday?

Not saying the verbal abuse is OK, it isn't. I just don't feel communication was handled well.
  • Options
    Is the gobby twat who owns Posh still on Twitter? If so I have a number of observations to make to him. 

While I’m at it I will accuse him of being behind the Fraser tweets midweek. I’ve no proof of that, but he’s a gobby twat, so If you live by the sword…
    Funny enough I suspect he is directly responsible for 90% of my "ITK" stuff.  No wonder it's normally wrong!  But he can't keep his mouth shut.

Loves talking to agents.  Not sure if it's stupidity, needing to be relevant or what but he will happily tell anyone anything.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Gribbo said:
    SDAddick said:
    OK, so the real crime here is not finding a new venue. We've got a garden in Herts. We've got a local park where someone walked their dog. I know a couple of parks in Norwich that get some sun so should be fine. WHY DIDN'T THE POSH THINK OF THIS SOONER?!?!?! 
    The green out the front of ours in sunny Reigate is nice and moist and I can run the Flymo over it in 20 minutes -

And I'll just say that our back garden here in Springfield, OR is a little muddy, but they could still play on it. 

So we're up to, what, six venues now? 
    Springfield you say.
    Nice to hear from you Homer 
    Funny fact, there is a Springfield in everyone of the lower states.  Which is why Springfield, of Simpson's fame, is called Springfield.
  • Options
    I remember Andy D' Urso postponing  a home match of ours against Southampton (on Boxing Day I think) with bugger all notice some years back. Everyone had arrived or set off at least as the postponement was announced so late.

Football clubs don't give a f**k about the fans. The negative attitude to fans charters etc is a small tangible example.
  • Options
    Listen to the DH interview and it says all you need to know about who is ultimately to blame. 
  • Options
    One of the things that should come out of this is that the Premier League and EFL should instruct all referees that if there is any doubt on the weather he must turn up and do an early morning inspection of the pitch and if there is any doubt call the game off then. There are too many occasions on which a Ref turns up 2 hours or so before the kickoff and calls the game off then. I remember a Boxing Day home game we played against Southampton some years back when the ref called the game off at 10:30 with a 12:30 Kick Off, long after the Southampton fans, and indeed some of ours were travelling to the game. That is unacceptable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Gribbo said:
    SDAddick said:
    OK, so the real crime here is not finding a new venue. We've got a garden in Herts. We've got a local park where someone walked their dog. I know a couple of parks in Norwich that get some sun so should be fine. WHY DIDN'T THE POSH THINK OF THIS SOONER?!?!?! 
    The green out the front of ours in sunny Reigate is nice and moist and I can run the Flymo over it in 20 minutes -

And I'll just say that our back garden here in Springfield, OR is a little muddy, but they could still play on it. 

So we're up to, what, six venues now? 
    Don't want no posh dudes on my patch!

• Options
    They are playing a training game on the pitch at the moment apparently...
  • Options
    Entirely down to Peterborough. If they had indicated that the pitch might be a problem, the referee or another local official would have arrived much earlier to do an early inspection. Like all the other clubs who called off games this morning.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    They are playing a training game on the pitch at the moment apparently...
    They are training on the half of the ground that isn’t frozen . Holden said that one half was rock hard and unplayable 
  • Options
    Entirely down to Peterborough. If they had indicated that the pitch might be a problem, the referee or another local official would have arrived much earlier to do an early inspection. Like all the other clubs who called off games this morning.
    They have been reassuring everyone all week that game was not in doubt. Its farcical.
  • Options
    Exactly. Similarly if there were any doubt on the Friday they could have got a local ref in then. Let’s not forget the match ref could live many miles away so can’t just pop round for a quick pitch inspection. This is entirely down to Peterborough and their ground staff. 
  • Options
    This is exactly the contempt that clubs treat supporters. They want your money and they could not give a shite about you.