Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match thread (+post p30): FA Cup R2 replay: Stockport v Charlton, 7th Dec 2022

Comments

• Stockport from League 2 were 8/11 to win that game. 
    What makes it worse is the players did try ! but are just not good enough, as individuals or collectively.
    I said that is a home banker before KO and no one slagged me off because it was.
    The situation with having Aneke, CBT and Inniss as part-time players because they don't have the bodies or minds to play regular is unique to Charlton.
    The last 48 hours of the window meant we had no chance of top 6 and even top half once the mandatory injuries kicked in.
    The situation with JFC is ridiculous, he finally plays from the start and is rusty; Jake did try TBF but isn't match fit.
    This feels worse than when Jackson took over when we were in 22nd place last season as we knew he would galvanise the players to rise up to mid table, which we did.
    Some of you were deluded in thinking we could go from 22nd to 6th ! 
    Playing a 17 year old Mitchell at LB was cruel beyond belief as i didn't see him  use his Left foot even when running forward and he got booked as he tackled with his right foot not his left but at least the kid tried and came out the game with respect.
    Tough for Chin as well and he struggled all night. 
    The line ups in the last two matches have been as weak as i can remember with the team bereft of confidence. Even the ever willing  George Dobson struggled when he came on.

Thomas Sandgaard needs to be offered an exit plan before the clichés comes to fruition: "death by a thousand cuts."

The worse thing for me is the enjoyment that Matt Southall is getting from Thomas Sandgaard's inept running of Cafc, on and off the field.

Please don't say we have reached rock bottom because you must realize it can get much worse and League 2 could happen. It's December and we can't beat teams in the bottom 12 !
    On the line up Mitchell was the left sided CB in a back three. That’s bad enough but the bigger issue was playing Chin and Campbell as wing backs, expecting them to form a back five and provide width in attack.

I’m expecting a back four on Saturday after last night, but who knows what Hayes will be thinking.
  • Scoham said:
    Stockport from League 2 were 8/11 to win that game. 
    What makes it worse is the players did try ! but are just not good enough, as individuals or collectively.
    I said that is a home banker before KO and no one slagged me off because it was.
    The situation with having Aneke, CBT and Inniss as part-time players because they don't have the bodies or minds to play regular is unique to Charlton.
    The last 48 hours of the window meant we had no chance of top 6 and even top half once the mandatory injuries kicked in.
    The situation with JFC is ridiculous, he finally plays from the start and is rusty; Jake did try TBF but isn't match fit.
    This feels worse than when Jackson took over when we were in 22nd place last season as we knew he would galvanise the players to rise up to mid table, which we did.
    Playing a 17 year old Mitchell at LB was cruel beyond belief as i didn't see him  use his Left foot even when running forward and he got booked as he tackled with his right foot not his left but at least the kid tried and came out the game with respect.
    The line ups in the last two matches have been as weak as i can remember with the team bereft of confidence. Even the ever willing  George Dobson struggled when he came on.

Thomas Sandgaard needs to be offered an exit plan before the clichés comes to fruition: "death by a thousand cuts."

The worse thing for me is the enjoyment that Matt Southall is getting from Thomas Sandgaard's inept running of Cafc, on and off the field.

Please don't say we have reached rock bottom because you must realize it can get much worse and League 2 could happen. It's December and we can't beat teams in the bottom 12 !
    On the line up Mitchell was the left sided CB in a back three. That’s bad enough but the bigger issue was playing Chin and Campbell as wing backs, expecting them to form a back five and provide width in attack.

I’m expecting a back four on Saturday after last night, but who knows what Hayes will be thinking.
    We need to avoid relegation this season and that entails recruiting a half decent manager. Will it happen?
  • One of the great ironies of this match is that one of our best players at pushing round lower league teams tends to be Stockley. He's had an absolute pig of a season and manages to find himself suspended for one of the very few games where he might have looked alright. Lovely stuff.
  • Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..
  • Do they give a damn about the fans who travelled to Stockport?
  • Will Collar who is a southerner is just the type of player who should be scouted and properly assessed by our 'scouting team (s)' .. he showed our midfield how it should be done, aggression, commitment and goal scoring ability.

Stockport is a club newly promoted from the Nationals which seemingly has belief and a proper plan for gradual success, unlike the drifting barge that is CAFC at this time
    Stockport have a good owner, decent manager and a good set of players. Definitely heading in the right direction after hitting rock bottom in the National League North.

We continue to head downwards...
  • Rob7Lee said:
    The senior pros have a lot to answer for after this performance. 
    The youngsters in the side need guidance and encouragement from the more experienced players. 
    They got given niether. 

We've lacked leaders for a long while. Pratley was massively underrated in that regard, one of the best leaders we'd had out on the pitch the last 10+ years. That aspect has never been replaced. He's still marshalling and doing well at the top of league two!

Age and number of games played doesn't make you a leader. We don't have any in the squad IMHO.
    I was at the Orient V Bradford game on Saturday and you are spot on about Pratley. He is captain and leader for the Os. He sits in the middle of the pitch barking orders and encouraging the team, something we sadly lack. By the way, I am not saying we should get Pratley back, just that we are missing someone like him.
    If we go down, I'd get Pratley back. Experienced, good physique for the battle and super-fit. He might make a decent manager one day too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thankfully I was out with a friend for a curry last night, but saw the last half hour. It wasn't good watching! The second goal was very poor. Clare just let his man walk into space and McGillivray should have done better. I think I should have had a couple more beers rather than hurrying back!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    The youngsters in the side need guidance and encouragement from the more experienced players. 
    They got given niether. 

We've lacked leaders for a long while. Pratley was massively underrated in that regard, one of the best leaders we'd had out on the pitch the last 10+ years. That aspect has never been replaced. He's still marshalling and doing well at the top of league two!

Age and number of games played doesn't make you a leader. We don't have any in the squad IMHO.
    I was at the Orient V Bradford game on Saturday and you are spot on about Pratley. He is captain and leader for the Os. He sits in the middle of the pitch barking orders and encouraging the team, something we sadly lack. By the way, I am not saying we should get Pratley back, just that we are missing someone like him.
    And he's played nearly every game for them this season too, at the age of 37
  • I’m not someone who regularly watches us - although I intend to do the West Country away games this season. Is it that bad every week ? I can’t believe how many suicidal passes there were, constantly playing themselves into trouble. Poncing about at the back led to their first goal, after conceding the free kick.
    They reminded me of a racehorse who’s jockey is just going through the motions, a non trier. No effort or commitment at all. Only difference is, this lot won’t be bolting up next time out.
    I’m actually tempted to have a few quid on relegation at 33-1.
    Sad times.
  • edited December 2022
    Thankfully I was out with a friend for a curry last night, but saw the last half hour. It wasn't good watching! The second goal was very poor. Clare just let his man walk into space and McGillivray should have done better. I think I should have had a couple more beers rather than hurrying back!
    Absolutely. JF-C wasn’t busting a gut to close the space either. 
    Clare was shite, as usual. Clear penalty that wasn’t given first half when needlessly barging over their man; pointless idiotic scuffing of penalty spot. It’s an embarrassment. How he continues to make the line up, let alone get to wear the armband last night, is totally beyond comprehension.
  • I assume the reason why Ollie Bell was the presenter last night was because he has seen a few non trier's in his time and can spot an also ran. 
  • saw this on Twitter, made me laugh

• Scoham said:

We need to avoid relegation this season and that entails recruiting a half decent manager. Will it happen?
    A manager can only work with the tools he is given. Without some new talent into the side - loans, work experience, don't care where from - we face a desperate relegation fight.  You could appoint Jürgen Klopp and he'd struggle with what we have
  • I’m not someone who regularly watches us - although I intend to do the West Country away games this season. Is it that bad every week ? I can’t believe how many suicidal passes there were, constantly playing themselves into trouble. Poncing about at the back led to their first goal, after conceding the free kick.
    They reminded me of a racehorse who’s jockey is just going through the motions, a non trier. No effort or commitment at all. Only difference is, this lot won’t be bolting up next time out.
    I’m actually tempted to have a few quid on relegation at 33-1.
    Sad times.
    If odds on our relegation are 33-1 then I'll have a tenner. At least it will enable me to numb the pain.
  • Simonsen said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    They got given niether. 

If we go down, I'd get Pratley back. Experienced, good physique for the battle and super-fit. He might make a decent manager one day too. 
    We're all losing our fucking minds, I get it
  • Sponsored links:

• thetomahawkkid said: I was also at that game and was mightily impressed at Orients recruitment andPrstoey still running things at 37,the lack of leadership at Charlton is alarming
    Rob7Lee said:
    They got given niether. 

• mogodon said:
    Scoham said:

A manager can only work with the tools he is given. Without some new talent into the side - loans, work experience, don't care where from - we face a desperate relegation fight.  You could appoint Jürgen Klopp and he'd struggle with what we have
    A more experienced manager can hopefully keeo us up - that's about the best we can hope for.
  • Dobson has been an absolute standout in the Pratley role, our best player for over a season, and a massive improvement on Pratley. Pratley is the last, absolute last fucking thing we need
  • Oh wait, I forgot, Dobson gave away a penalty, he's crap now, Pratley is much better in my curdled rose-tinted idiot memory, we need someone to push their players over and shout a bit and kick it out of play. Have it
  • 1StevieG said:
    See the source image
    He can stick that guitar up his arse.
    " CHARLTON `TIL WE DIE "
    I Think we are on life support ! not far now , the last rights are about to be given .
  • Thankfully I was out with a friend for a curry last night, but saw the last half hour. It wasn't good watching! The second goal was very poor. Clare just let his man walk into space and McGillivray should have done better. I think I should have had a couple more beers rather than hurrying back!
    Absolutely. JF-C wasn’t busting a gut to close the space either. 
    Clare was shite, as usual. Clear penalty that wasn’t given first half when needlessly barging over their man; pointless idiotic scuffing of penalty spot. It’s an embarrassment. How he continues to make the line up, let alone get to wear the armband last night, is totally beyond comprehension.

Clare was the best of a bad bunch on Friday night against Cheltenham as the attacking RB. Last night was a disaster waiting to happen with Clare at RCB, with the inexperienced Chin at RWB, Lavelle at CB, Mitchell at LCB where he has no Left foot and Campbell at LWB where he struggled.
    How didn't Deji get a game ? 

• I assume the reason why Ollie Bell was the presenter last night was because he has seen a few non trier's in his time and can spot an also ran. 
    After last night, we've been taken to the knackers yard to be put down
  • edited December 2022
    ‘……yes, but can they do it on a cold Wednesday night up at Stockport?’